StatsCan: Children of Asian, Indian immigrants have highest rate of un

RB

THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Canadian Press, 2008

http://www.thespec.com/Wire/News_Wire/National/article/439477

OTTAWA - Statistics Canada reports that the children of Chinese and Indian immigrants have the highest rate of university education in Canada.

The information comes from a 2002 study of national origin and university education titled the Ethnic Diversity Survey.

The study, released Tuesday, finds the university completion rate for children of immigrant parents from China and India is 65 per cent.

That compares with 24 per cent for the children of German and Latin American immigrants.

About one-third of children whose parents were from the Caribbean, Portugal and the Netherlands completed university education.

About 28 per cent of the children of Canadian-born parents had completed university education.

Statistics Canada reports that the children of Chinese and Indian immigrants have the highest rate of university education in Canada.

That is because their parents know what it is like sitting doing nothing but reading math books in a hut all day.

Come to Canada and steal their quality of life they say.

Then the country will be ours.

Is this what Canadians want?

Our country and quality lifestyle is being destroyed by desperate individuals that want your lifestyle.

Unfair competition in an already established country?

Ask your MP.

That is because their parents know what it is like sitting doing nothing but reading math books in a hut all day.

Our country and quality lifestyle is being destroyed by desperate individuals that want your lifestyle.

Ask your MP.

The AS programme strikes again....

Ask your MP.

How's education destroying Canada or our quality of life? Where's the unfair competition?

Immigrants to Canada formerly live in huts? Really? How do you know this?

Come to Canada and steal their quality of life they say. Then the country will be ours.

Really? New Canadians say this is their motivation for coming to Canada? Okay . . . Why don't you show me where this has been said, and by whom? Why don't you show me something that proves that even most immigrants come to Canada to "steal our quality of life"

How on earth would an ethnic community which is highly educated and pumping LOTS of money into the economy take away from the lifestyle of the rest of Canada? Do you understand basic economics? . . .

Higher education -> Higher salaries -> More investment & taxes -> more government services

Please demonstrate how more educated and wealthy people are something we don't want more of.

It's unfair that people work hard in school? Why is that unfair exactly? What? Because you never wanted to bother with it?

If this post is any indication of how you applied yourself in school, it's no wonder your jealous of other people's hard-earned success. Some undiagnosed learning disability not-withstanding - there's nothing stopping you from a better education (or a better post than this drivel) than effort.

How's education destroying Canada or our quality of life?

There are only so many jobs or positons available that require a professional or university degree.

Canada needs skilled workers but the type of skills Asians and Chinese offer are generally limited to some form of white collar positon. This is also an area many native Canadians pursue.

Where's the unfair competition?

Generally speaking I have observed and experienced is that most Asians and Chinese are over serious, mingle with their own kind and are generally not compatiable with Canadian customs and traditons.

Native Canadians are much more laid back and enjoy a variety of lifestyles and all are not dedicated to continual learning.

This creates a cultural clash creating unfair competition forcing Canadians if they want to compete to become perpetual learning machines on the same level as Asians and Chinese.

Canada is an established country and has developed its own Canadian type lifestyles.

The type of immigrant Canada is allowing into this country is problamatic in many areas.

Maybe you should spend sime time in a hut reading a book or two.

That would require the ability to be able to read de facto . Not to mention moving the finger across the words.

There is an obvious disconnect between reality and fantasy. He asks for the salt and screams he said pepper. Just look at the answer he provides in reply to marksmans questions.

Utter nonsense

There are only so many jobs or positons available that require a professional or university degree.

Canada needs skilled workers but the type of skills Asians and Chinese offer are generally limited to some form of white collar positon. This is also an area many native Canadians pursue.

So in other words you wont answer marksmans questions. Ok. No one thought you would.

Generally speaking I have observed and experienced is that most Asians and Chinese are over serious, mingle with their own kind and are generally not compatiable with Canadian customs and traditons.

Soooo many asians and chinese in the boonies outside of Ottawa arent there? Let me guess, there is a chinese restaurant in town?

Keep up that stellar research.

This creates a cultural clash creating unfair competition forcing Canadians if they want to compete to become perpetual learning machines on the same level as Asians and Chinese.

Canada is an established country and has developed its own Canadian type lifestyles.

Hmm...chinese et al pushing the learning curve for home growns. ....nothing wrong with that. Unless of course one cannot <cough cough> keep up with the learning.

The type of immigrant Canada is allowing into this country is problamatic in many areas.

For you maybe since it is obvious you have jealous tendencies and have failed to keep up. But the country as a whole will benefit .

Stop being so narcissistic. Its not all about you contrary to what you may think.

He asks for the salt and screams he said pepper. Just look at the answer he provides in reply to marksmans questions.

Actually, his opinion on if immigrants are "all lazy and drain the welfare system" or the opposite: "work too much and keep us lazy old Canadians out of jobs" depends on if it's an even or odd day of the month.

Native Canadians are much more laid back and enjoy a variety of lifestyles and all are not dedicated to continual learning.

As a Canadian, I consider the idea that a Canadian is supposed to be lazy and ignorant to be insulting. Except when it comes from you... because ignorance is clearly one of your trademarks.

Edited by CANADIEN

Many of the people in the study were "native" Canadians. By this I mean Canadian born. Are you saying people born in Canada aren't Canadians?

Maybe they appear that way to you because you treat them so poorly. My observations and experiences are that they're just like everyone else. Some are serious some aren't.

So Canadians are lazy? I know a number of Canadians that don't even approach laid back and a number who enjoy lifelong learning either in schools or otherwise.

Your forget that many of the children being looked at were born in Canada.

There's nothing unfair about someone working hard and improving their situation in life. Saying it's unfair makes you sound like a spoiled teenager who doesn't want to do anything with their life but still wants daddy to pay the bills and buy them a Porsche.

Lifestyles. Plural. We're not all lazy bums despite your characterization. Having people live their own lives is no threat to us.

The hard working, self improving immigrant is a problem? If so then it's a problem I wish more Canadians had.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.thespec.com/Wire/News_Wire/National/article/439477

OTTAWA - Statistics Canada reports that the children of Chinese and Indian immigrants have the highest rate of university education in Canada

Well the results of this report did not surprised me one bit. I am usually invited and I have plenty of opportunity to address graduating high school students and their parents. Above all I am a big supporter of higher education.

Every person I am sure wants what is best for their children. At the end of the discussions, usually, I am more swamped by the immigrant parent who wishing for reassurance that the hard sacrifice they will make is worthwhile. And I can say yes, higher education is worth the while every time. It stretches the imagination and the thinking is different. The thinking is different vs the thinking gained in acquiring experience.

The question is whether success in terms of monetary rewards shows up at the end of the immigrant parent sacrifice vs the whites non-university attendance

Regretfully I have to say the even though the immigrant folks are now well educated, they have a daunting task of climbing step by step to get to a certain level and then they remain there.

On the contrary it is my opinion that perhaps it is not such a disillusion for a non-immigrant non-university educated Canadian white to get to the top of the ladder, and even skipping a few steps.

Edited by RB

So much stereotyping.. It surprises me, the level of ignorance that it requires. However, I am pleased that there seems to be a number of people on this thread standing up against this ignorance.

Here's a thought for you - everybody is a human being. Human beings may exhibit many different characteristics; they can be hard working or they can be lazy. If you want to be lazy and be a "laid back" student then that is up to you. However, to condemn a whole race of people into one personality? They can be lazy and laid back as much as you can. What do you want them to do? Apologize to you for being so determined in their studies? If you try, you can be successful, if you don't you may not. There is no gene in Chinese people that makes them want to be successful - it's just that some humans want to be successful.

Edited by Hcheh