The Essential Soul

gullyfourmyle

It is a fundamental belief that all human beings have a soul. What most people don’t stop to think about is that souls aren’t limited to humans. Every animal, plant and microbe has a “soul” so some degree. Indeed if this were not so, then we’d have a planet populated entirely by zombie-creatures given that every living thing is an amalgamation of cells with an intent to continue life to the last possible moment. We call it survival instinct. If each and every cell didn’t have this need to survive, cutting off the limbs of animals or trees for instance wouldn’t be an issue. Instead that sort of threat sends the entire organism into a paroxysm of dread right down to the cellular level. Your brain in isolation does not govern this reaction. Your entire organism wants to survive with all its members intact. This is evident when the head is cut off a chicken. When I was eleven, I saw a chicken beheaded for the first time on a farm. The chicken escaped and flew onto the barn roof and perched there for what seemed a long time until if finally keeled over. How did it fly? How did it know to land in the middle of the ridge on top of the barn as though it had eyes? We know chickens have their brains in their heads. Cockroaches live without heads until they starve.

It stands to reason therefore, that your soul is an aggregate entity made up of billions of tiny intents which in cohesion can form values, needs and drives. Again every living thing on the planet operates on the same basic principals. The soul therefore is a community identity not limited to humans.

I wrote the preceding prose on March 23, 2003. It was reported in the Toronto Star on May 15 2004 that Nobel Laureate, Francis Crick, co-discoverer of DNA followed that discovery up with an even more exciting discovery – to me at least – he discovered the cells in the human brain responsible for creating an individual’s unique sense of self. The location of the soul in other words – command center for the community of cells of which each of us is composed.

“For the first time we have a coherent scheme for the neural correlates of consciousness in philosophical, psychological and neural terms.

“Actual consciousness may be expressed by only a small set of neurons, in particular those that project from the back of the cortex to parts of the frontal cortex.”

The implications for religion are huge. But in the case of aboriginal belief systems, their approach seems to have been correct all along.

It appears there is no reason for denying that plants and animals within the context of their physiology and the eco-systems they live within, have a soul too. It’s well known that higher animals understand language – even our language, emotions such as humour, anger and love. Cats only meow at people, not at each other. Insects understand the language of other insects. The definition between what is human and what is animal is getting very narrow. Intelligence is no criteria. Just because an animal cannot make a living on our terms becomes meaningless when you consider how formidable it would be for a human to try and do the same as any other sort of animal.

Then when you look at the actual material we are composed of, it turns out we are all made of the same stuff assembled using different instruction sheets. Like a Mechano or a Lego set for instance. Given enough parts you can build just about anything.

So understanding (in simple form) how a soul lives within you and other entities on the planet and also understanding how we are all interconnected electrically, it follows that shortly after you die, your soul does leave your body. It does not necessarily vaporize as if it never were. It is likely absorbed into the vast electronic plasma we referred to earlier as God (in the God Thing).Possibly, to a degree, what separates our souls and continues its viability for a time, is passion. Every living thing is also capable of expressing passion to some degree or nothing would ever procreate. Humans are capable of projecting passion by various means, well beyond our physical presence. Possibly the degree to which we can project accounts for the belief in ghosts or spirits and the ability some people to be sensitive to their presence while others remain insensitive. If then the soul leaves the body at death and joins the ephemeral plasma of the God essence, you can be said to have entered heaven. The thing is, the essence of everything that dies goes there too, not just humans and not just the “good”. All evolve, reform and become part of God. There lies the explanation of how man can be made in the image of God. In those terms, its easy to see that everything living and that ever has lived is made in the image of and is part of God. How could it be any other way?

That makes for a pretty powerful entity does it not? It also makes for a pretty powerful entity on some obvious levels. It explains why when you pray for God’s intervention, you don’t get a set of written instructions telling you what to do. The truth is, God has no more of an idea what you should do than you do and for the most part could care less. You see, the God state just is.

Godhood is not a state within which exists good or evil. It is a state that is based on the natural flow of life into death from generation to generation with modifications along the way to compensate for changing physical necessities. Beyond that, God has no time table and no requirement to perpetuate your soul as a coherent entity.

Eventually life on earth will be extinguished. Our spirits will not survive that termination unless we have managed to migrate to another solar system capable of supporting our narrow requirements. If that happens we won’t be packing ghosts or spirits. In our absence how ever that is caused, they will cease to exist. People in the nuclear and oil industries are trying assiduously to hasten the planet’s demise.

It is well known that certain aboriginal tribes and doubtless our own distant ancestors practiced cannibalism. They ate all or part of the bodies of their dead foes. This was not done as an act of revenge but rather as an act of respect and admiration and a desire to add the positive qualities of the deceased to their own. On some levels this worked. Just not exactly the way they hoped.

They did receive life essence from their defeated victims in normal food value. They would not receive more than that unless they ate the parts raw. (which was surely done at times,. At that time the possibility of the transfer of cellular memory was remotely possible. But it was an idea that was in truth way ahead of its time.

But lately with the advent of organ transplants doctors and researchers are beginning to document the evidence of cellular memories in the recipients of organ transplants that clearly were not the recipient’s own memories. These memories extend to the ability to speak and understand foreign languages. These findings support the idea of a transference of life force in very compelling terms. Leslie A. Takeuchi, BA, PTA said of his clinical research “What was most striking were the numerous reports of organ transplant recipients who later experienced changes in personality traits, tastes for food, music, activities and even sexual preference.” (Cellular Memory in Organ Transplants)

Another of cannibalism and indeed the fundamental attitudes of aboriginal peoples towards their food that’s significant was their respect for the souls of the food they ate. It’s well known that the Plains Indians “worshipped” buffaloes which were their principle sources of food, shelter and clothing. More likely rather than worship, a better way of putting it would be that the Plains peoples held the buffalo in high esteem and had a monumental respect for their worth not only as a source of commodities but also as another being with an important role to play in the cycle of life. Buffaloes were the centre of the plains people’s lives. Every kill was utilized completely. Nothing was wasted. Every kill was given respect and honour.

When Europeans arrived, the buffalo were eventually slaughtered from train windows as target practice. The carcasses were left to rot where they fell in an ultimate show of indifference to not only the animals but to an entire way of life of which they knew little and cared less.

Modern societies would do well to emulate the intent of aboriginal spiritual practice because in essence it works. When grace is said at the table before a meal is served (something that is done less and less these days), we are thanking “God” for that which was put in front of us. Instead we should be thanking the souls of the entities, parts of whose bodies we are about to eat. Learning respect for the soul of the animal and understanding how it gave up its life and the manner in which that life was given has an effect on what you eat, how much you eat and how much of that food is wasted.

Eating as much of the food raw is best for the transfer of life energy from the food to the new host – ourselves. What is transferred are the electrical energy or enzymes or the life force of the tissue. As raw, fresh food, the food is alive, not dead and already beginning to rot.

Despite the fact that every living cell has some form of a soul, to our collective cellular consciousnesses single cell life is not considered sacred (except to the unfortunate cell itself). Collective cellular life is considered sacred. That is to say that while the single cell has every right to go on living, it does not have the right to do so at the expense of the global community. This is a hard thing since once you have a life of any sort, you expect and intend to hold on to it until the bitter end. That’s where the soul and the right to life run into the conundrum of euthanasia, abortion and suicide.

With respect to suicide, the soul in question may be for a time or permanently unbalanced. It is an inner state where the price of life is or seems to be too high to be worth enduring and the known pain of death less than that of life. Changing that mind set is a challenge for the individual and for any individual who may attempt to participate in the change. In the end, only the entity whose life it is can make the decision. No one has the right to prolong the spiritual, mental, physical or combination of agonies suffered without the consent of the sufferer.

With euthanasia the victim is often so physically disabled that despite the need and intention to die, they aren’t capable of bringing about their own deaths. When such as situation is arrived at and able to be confirmed, euthanasia is a natural function and duty of those able and authorized to assist. Euthanasia is practiced by many other species out of compassion for the sufferer. Compassion and dignity are the key differences between an assisted acceptable death and murder.

Where there is diminished mental capacity, the and the entity is not capable of ending its own life and suffering is not an issue there is no need to end that life. Where there is undue suffering a decision to prolong or end the life should be made by a neutral panel of observers in full possession of the facts and the rigors of the life lived.

Abortion is a form of population control that, while cruel, is necessary under certain circumstances. Pregnancy as a result of rape, serious debilitating illness on the part of the infant or mother should be terminated at the request of the mother or, in the absence of mental incapacity, at the request of the legal entity governing the best interests of the victim. Pregnancy which will add an unsustainable burden to an impoverished mother to be of mother of existing children or where having a child will cause the girl or woman to become impoverished should be considered on a case by case basis with compassion and common sense shown for the mother to be and the unborn infant. Where it can be shown that the mother is incapable of raising the child or even herself then the infant should be put up for adoption at birth.

Once a child has been conceived it is alive as a living entity though still dependent on it mother’s resources. That does not give it the automatic right to be born and live at any level of the natural world. No living thing on this planet has that right. What decides whether an entity lives of dies is the availability of the immediate resources of the environment to support the life. If the support is not there the entity dies. That is the harsh truth at any stage in any life. Many species have the ability to hold fertile eggs in stasis until conditions are favourable. Humans override that ability and its consequence is overpopulation. So a soul guarantees nothing in life or death, it merely provides the drive to live on more moment. Make your moment count.

A long time ago, when the Earth was green

There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen

They'd run around free while the Earth was being born

And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green alligators and long-necked geese

Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees

Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born

The loveliest of all was the unicorn

The Lord seen some sinning and it gave Him pain

And He says, "Stand back, I'm going to make it rain"

He says, "Hey Noah, I'll tell you what to do

Build me a floating zoo,

and take some of those...

Green alligators and long-necked geese

Don't you forget My unicorns

Old Noah was there to answer the call

He finished up making the ark just as the rain started to fall

He marched the animals two by two

And he called out as they came through

Hey Lord,

I've got green alligators and long-necked geese

Some cats and rats and elephants, but Lord, I'm so forlorn

I just can't find no unicorns"

And Noah looked out through the driving rain

Them unicorns were hiding, playing silly games

Kicking and splashing while the rain was falling

Oh, them silly unicorns

Noah cried, "Close the door because the rain is falling

And we just can't wait for no unicorns"

The ark started moving, it drifted with the tide

The unicorns looked up from the rocks and they cried

And the waters came down and sort of floated them away

That's why you never see unicorns to this very day

You'll see green alligators and long-necked geese

You're never gonna see no unicorns

Another of cannibalism and indeed the fundamental attitudes of aboriginal peoples towards their food that’s significant was their respect for the souls of the food they ate. It’s well known that the Plains Indians “worshipped” buffaloes which were their principle sources of food, shelter and clothing. More likely rather than worship, a better way of putting it would be that the Plains peoples held the buffalo in high esteem and had a monumental respect for their worth not only as a source of commodities but also as another being with an important role to play in the cycle of life. Buffaloes were the centre of the plains people’s lives. Every kill was utilized completely. Nothing was wasted. Every kill was given respect and honour.

Did the Aztec's and Inca's revere the virgins they slaughtered when they ate their still beating hearts?

How quaint the aborigional people's religious beliefs were, don't you think?

Seet even

Every kill was utilized completely. Nothing was wasted.

Learn the facts, not the populist fantasy. Just take a quick trip out to "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump" and you'll see the truth. They would run hundreds off the cliff and utilize only a few of them.

By the way, "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump" is a world heritage site and much of the information is provided by the Natives on whose land the site is located. So if you have a problem with the truth take it up with them and correct their understanding of their history and customs.

I have lots of Blackfoot friends who would love to have you lecture them about their culture and past practices.

I recall a song with that line.....help me out here. Who was it?

Sumtin' tells me it was liely seen on the CBC....Irish Rovers perhaps? Don Messers Jubilee? Hee Haw....ahhh for the good ol days of tv....yikes.

Edited by guyser

Both of you are really dating yourselves now. I'm not even going to admit to knowing that song. Besides I always had a very strong aversion to The Irish Rovers.

I used to date myself a lot but since I got married not so much anymore.

Well I don't have to date myself but I make greater sacrifices in other ways, even though I'm single.

For instance this Saturday my "friend" came to visit. I actually sat through My Fair Lady, and pretended to enjoy it. My friend is a very beautifull woman, so it just goes to show there are some things worth making such sacrifices for.

(Oh yes, She isn't old, only 32, she just likes Musicals, go figure).

Guess I will stop right there.

We dont, you are worm food upon expiry.

Next up, Unicorns.

Having a soul has nothing to do with an after life. Your soul is what makes you, you. If you have no soul, you're a zombie. That's why Dementia and Alzheimers are so scary - it's the zombie syndrome striking really close to home. Once you've had to interact with a person in that condition, you come away with a better appreciation for your ability to be yourself. It takes about eight years to become worm food after first diagnosis assuming you don't succumb to some other underlying condition, assuming you don't become air pollution first.

Your soul is what makes you, you. If you have no soul, you're a zombie.

Oh c'mon man, you can do better than that. Just because you assert the existence of an unseen, unidentified, unproven and most likely non existent "thing" (for lack of a better word) does not make it fact.

At this point you are starting to sound like someone else on this forum who only ever offers opinion and never backs it up with facts. You don't want to be classed as a member of that small club do you?

Did the Aztec's and Inca's revere the virgins they slaughtered when they ate their still beating hearts?

How quaint the aborigional people's religious beliefs were, don't you think?

Seet even

The belief was that by eating parts or all of the sacrificed person, or animal, traits were thought to migrate from one being to another.

In many respects that turned out to be true but not in the simplistic way the natives thought. Organ donors have passed on their traits and that is well documented. That was the effect the natives were looking for but with only very limited success - they got nutrition and little else. A bit of science might have changed their beliefs somewhat.

Another aspect of their brutal life style was the fact that sacrifices of virgins and captives acquired in war severely limited population growth and helped keep their numbers in line with what the environment could sustain for longer periods. However, archeology has shown that trying to maintain an urban centre in one place for too long generates new and ugly problems that affect the ability of the community and individuals to survive as healthy, genetically undamaged entities.

The virgins weren't slaughtered, the were ritually sacrificed. A sort of fashionable way to die in public. Fun to watch for the spectators, not fun for the star performer.

Ultimately they weren't brutal enough in some cases and entire civilizations ate themselves out of house and home. That concept is being demonstrated around the world to this day. Anyone care for a Haitian mud pie for a main course?

Oh c'mon man, you can do better than that. Just because you assert the existence of an unseen, unidentified, unproven and most likely non existent "thing" (for lack of a better word) does not make it fact.

At this point you are starting to sound like someone else on this forum who only ever offers opinion and never backs it up with facts. You don't want to be classed as a member of that small club do you?

As a matter of fact, the existence of souls is documented, accepted scientific fact as shown by Franicis Crick.

"It was reported in the Toronto Star on May 15 2004 that Nobel Laureate, Francis Crick, co-discoverer of DNA followed that discovery up with an even more exciting discovery – to me at least – he discovered the cells in the human brain responsible for creating an individual’s unique sense of self. The location of the soul in other words – command center for the community of cells of which each of us is composed."

“For the first time we have a coherent scheme for the neural correlates of consciousness in philosophical, psychological and neural terms.

Actual consciousness may be expressed by only a small set of neurons, in particular those that project from the back of the cortex to parts of the frontal cortex."

And...

Francis Crick, said, " The idea that man has a disembodied soul is as unnecessary as the old idea that there was a Life Force." ”

Francis Crick, said, " The idea that man has a disembodied soul is as unnecessary as the old idea that there was a Life Force." ”

It appears that Francis is refuting the idea of a disembodied soul.

That would contradict the old idea of a soul, in fact it appears that the concept of "soul" is intimately tied to our corporeal existence. Further to that he found the cells responsible for our sense of self, not some nebulous mystical force embodied in each of us. Therefore to use the word "soul" in this context is simply playing fast and loose with the

definition of the word.

So, I now go back to my original premise, you can do better than that. Never mixing science with mysticism is a good place to start.

The location of the soul in other words

No, not in other words, in your words. That would place the whole statement in the territory of opinion and as such not to be taken seriously.

Having a soul has nothing to do with an after life.

Whoops...stop right there. Man you cna be a thread killer with this pontification of yours.

So, we have no soul, and there is no afterlife. Unless you mean the bar downtown.....but the booze is expensive.

Your soul is what makes you, you. If you have no soul, you're a zombie. That's why Dementia and Alzheimers are so scary - it's the zombie syndrome striking really close to home.

Naw, what makes me is my charm and good looks. Aint gots no soul, never did, doesnt exist.

And here I thought dimentia was just being confused since all your faculties are withering away and the synapses are not connecting. So that pesky lil soul is to blame.

Can I buy one on E-bay ? I could get one cheap and keep it in the closet 'til my mom needs it.

Once you've had to interact with a person in that condition, you come away with a better appreciation for your ability to be yourself.

I usually leave feeling sad that all their faculties are abandoning them and thinking of ways to make their life better.

Dont be such a narcissist. You could be happier making peoples last years better.

It takes about eight years to become worm food after first diagnosis assuming you don't succumb to some other underlying condition, assuming you don't become air pollution first.

Ive seen dead people. That person they fished out of the river near my cottage wasnt in there 8 years and I can assure you the worms had done a nice job. Couldnt even use a hook, think of trying to pick up a sheet of newspaper out of a puddle after a few hours soak.