How many Canadians really care....

HisSelf

Mostly everyone I know implements the first rule of social gatherings. Do not speak of politics nor religion.

The purpose of the gathering is of course relevant. A political discussion is relevant to a political gathering.

The amount of political discussion in society is indicative of the interest people have in it - Very little and at best superficial.

Edited by Pliny

To answer the question posed by the thread, I'd say the percentage that really care about politics is 30%.

60% will vote, but that doesn't mean they care much.

About 10% at most are knowledgeable to some degree

About 1% care enough to actually do something, like canvas for a candidate.

A fraction of one percent care enough to run.

Consequently, we end up with half baked politicians who don't really understand the issues elected by a populace with almost no clue about the issues.

Then people wonder why the government does not do what they expect it to.

The truth is, they don't really understand anything about what they think they want. There isn't time.

Promise them a soccer pitch and they'll vote for you. Promise a sick person a new hospital, they'll vote for you.

Promise accountability that's really needed and they won't vote for you but will complain there is no accountability after the election.

• 4 weeks later...
To answer the question posed by the thread, I'd say the percentage that really care about politics is 30%.

60% will vote, but that doesn't mean they care much.

About 10% at most are knowledgeable to some degree

About 1% care enough to actually do something, like canvas for a candidate.

A fraction of one percent care enough to run.

Consequently, we end up with half baked politicians who don't really understand the issues elected by a populace with almost no clue about the issues.

Then people wonder why the government does not do what they expect it to.

The truth is, they don't really understand anything about what they think they want. There isn't time.

Promise them a soccer pitch and they'll vote for you. Promise a sick person a new hospital, they'll vote for you.

Promise accountability that's really needed and they won't vote for you but will complain there is no accountability after the election.

What's with this country... I'm movin' to the States..

So you are at some sort of gathering. You bring up the subject of politics.

Do the people in your 'circle'...

1. try to change the subject
  2. leave the room
  3. roll their eyes
  4. shuffle their feet
  5. engage you in an intelligent discussion

What's your experience?

Depends entirely on who I'm with. Some of my friends like talking about politics. Others disdain politics entirely. And group A usually doesn't hang around much with group B. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Most people that are my friends do not like talking about politics. I try to discuss it with my wife, but she just stares at me blankly and feigns interest. My father, God bless his glorious Liberal partisan heart, is always game for a good debate. But other people my age, forget it. They don't know about politics and they don't care about politics. I wouldn't say they're bitter towards politics. Actually, they're pretty much as indifferent as you can be to politics. I think apathy is probably a pretty big reason for low voter turnouts.