Canada Supports U.S. Evacuation Efforts in Preparation for Gustav

MarketWatch

At the request of the United States government, a Canadian Forces CC-177 aircraft left Canada earlier today for the southern U.S. Gulf Coast. The Honourable Stockwell Day, Minister of Public Safety, indicated that he had spoken with U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff to offer further assistance.
Edited by Smallc

Guest American Woman
Yeah, but I wish JC would have gone down to NY right after like many other world leaders. It was kind of embarrassing at the time.

You had nothing to be embarrassed about. You took in our planes when you didn't know who or what was on them. You did that at great risk to yourselves and your nation, and you did it without question-- with above-and-beyond hospitality given to the passengers once the planes landed. That means much more than a leader going right down to NY and that's what makes me glad and thankful to have a neighbor like Canada.

Canada was there to help right after Katrina, too. Same as on 9-11. We definitely have a neighbor who is there for us.

Thanks, Canada. :)

Its been part of a long standing tradition. US Armed Forces and Canadian Forces have been involved in numerous rescue missions for each other over the years when one side's unit is closer to the accident then the other and time is of the essence and depleted Canadian Coast Guard and navy capacity has led to more and more US Coast Guard interventions to rescue Canadians on the high seas.

Also our municipalities and hydro companies have always helped each other with ice storms, snow storms, floods and forest fire fighting is another area we have been there for each other.

A law passed last year to cut the red tape for such operations was put into place precisely to make this easier.

Its a great example of what happens when countries get along. We also forgive you for Bush-Chaney, Sandra Palin, American beer. new York Yankees fans and your too sweet chocolate. We will still rescue you. Jut remember that is our ice. Keep your hands off it girl.

Guest American Woman
Its a great example of what happens when countries get along. We also forgive you for Bush-Chaney, Sandra Palin, American beer. new York Yankees fans and your too sweet chocolate. We will still rescue you. Jut remember that is our ice. Keep your hands off it girl.

It is a great example of countries getting along, and I think our countries have a special relationship that goes beyond "getting along" -- even if your alcohol isn't strong enough for us wimpy American beer drinking folk. ;) It's big of you to forgive us Bush-Cheney and Palin, though. I don't even forgive us for that. And since I'm not a NY Yankees fan, and they seem to be all about forced patriotism, I don't forgive us them, either. :P

I'm beginning to think Canadians are a more forgiving lot than Americans, but then there's that comment about keeping our hands off your ice ..............

It is a great example of countries getting along, and I think our countries have a special relationship that goes beyond "getting along" -- even if your alcohol isn't strong enough for us wimpy American beer drinking folk. ;) It's big of you to forgive us Bush-Cheney and Palin, though. I don't even forgive us for that. And since I'm not a NY Yankees fan, and they seem to be all about forced patriotism, I don't forgive us them, either. :P

I'm beginning to think Canadians are a more forgiving lot than Americans, but then there's that comment about keeping our hands off your ice ..............

Amazing. You people cannot even deal with your own problems without some Hollywood jackass emoting about how we should all give to make up for your screw-ups.

A real eye-opener for me was when Frank Stronach went down there and started to build welfare housing.

Don't you people have any pride?

Yanqui Right wing = pathetic losers that cannot take care of their own.

How sad that our people are still getting killed to support your stupid foreign policy.

Yanqui losers.

Its been part of a long standing tradition. US Armed Forces and Canadian Forces have been involved in numerous rescue missions for each other over the years when one side's unit is closer to the accident then the other and time is of the essence and depleted Canadian Coast Guard and navy capacity has led to more and more US Coast Guard interventions to rescue Canadians on the high seas.

It happens both ways quite often. The CCG, MARCOM, and AIRCOM are still as well stocked as they ever were, some of the CCG ships are just getting old.

Canada was there to help right after Katrina, too. Same as on 9-11. We definitely have a neighbor who is there for us.

Thanks, Canada. :)

The guy you want to thank is a man named Frank Stronach. Stronach arrived in Canada from Austria at the end of WWII with a couple of bucks in his pocket and started a parts machining company that he built into a major world enterpise called Magna. Magna builds parts for every major auto manufacturer in the world and in plants all over the world. Stronach is a business genious and he has become wealthy beyond anybody's wildest dreams.

When Stronach saw what a mess the Bush government had made during Katrina (and without his naming any names), he pitched in and put up big bucks to build a trailer park community that Katrina victims could live in. They weren't exactly split level ranch style homes but they were a hell of a lot more than FEMA was offering.

Frank Stronach is a hard nosed businessman, and I have no doubt there are many who curse his name, but Frank Stronach knows what it means to be dealt a disaster and he stepped up when everybody else was runniong around clucking and flapping their wings like chickens with their heads cut off.

Edited by HisSelf

Guest American Woman
I'd prefer to thank all the people who took in the people on the planes. Those people, many of whom money wuold be tight, opened doors and hearts.

FS gets kudos no doubt. But not at ignoring those who did with much less.

I agree, but I'm not sure they did "less." If one looks at one's capabilities, "less" is sometimes "more." Not to downplay what FS did, which was wonderful and I do thank him, but I was talking about Canada as a nation regarding Katrina. The Canadian Red Cross and all the Canadians who contribued, the Canadian Habitat for Humanity, the Canadian Embassy, the Canadian military, the search and rescue teams, etc.

Edited by American Woman

It happens both ways quite often. The CCG, MARCOM, and AIRCOM are still as well stocked as they ever were, some of the CCG ships are just getting old.

I appreciate your point and do not get me wrong I do not mean to suggest Canada is not pulling their weight they do, but I would also agree with my friends in the CCG that the ships are too old and there are not enough of them and areNavy is ridiculously underfunded and too small and it makes our ability to engage in search and rescue patrol, patrols against drug smugglers and illegal fishing and aliens and enforcement of Northern borders all problematic and severely compromised.

Edited by Rue