Movies, What Genre do you like?

AngusThermopyle

Okay, I'll admit it (even though I hate to). My Fair Lady wasn't that bad. Perhaps because I had a really beautifull woman watching it with me and getting closer during the "more moving" scenes.

Tommy has always left me cold, even though I like the Who.

Speaking of concert/rock movies Live Rust has always been a favourite of mine, also Peter Gabriel Secret World Live.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Some really good movies mentioned here.

"Falling Down" - fantastic.

Planet of the Apes.

Fargo.

Gladiator

Thank you for Smoking.

Reservoir Dogs.

Thanks for reminding me.

I was surprised anyone had heard of Polanski's "Fearless Vampire Killers". A great comedy. He should do more of that But I think he lost his sense of humor after the tragic loss of Sharon Tate.

Fargo. Yeah. Superb acting. Developed the territory Capote created with "In Cold Blood". An absolutely brilliant movie. Nice choice.

Gladiator. Another good one. For me, the best Roman epic was the series "Rome" developed by the Brits...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

Really brings home what it would have been like to live in Rome. Historical drama at its best. Or at least the best we've had to date. Truly a brilliant piece of historical fiction. Exceptional.

I generally don't like musicals but I liked the remake of "Little Shop of Horrors" with Ellen Green, Rick Moranis, Steve Martin, Bill Murray..."Grease" was good, and the performance of Rene Zellwegger and Catherine Zeta-Jones made "Chicago" palatable. "Jesus Christ Superstar" was enjoyable, Remember "Tommy" - mostly forgettable.

I'm a big Steve Martin Fan. "Roxanne". "Father of the Bride" The man has it all. I laughed. I cried.... Steve Martin is truly a gifted and brilliant comedian. He is so good at coming completely out of left field. Nothing that Steve Martin does is obvious, but much of what he does is just so true. He tells you things you know about yourself but that you were too pre-occupied to notice at the time.

Edited by HisSelf

I'm a big Steve Martin Fan. "Roxanne". "Father of the Bride" The man has it all. I laughed. I cried.... Steve Martin is truly a gifted and brilliant comedian. He is so good at coming completely out of left field. Nothing that Steve Martin does is obvious, but much of what he does is just so true. He tells you things you know about yourself but that you were too pre-occupied to notice at the time.

Plays a mean banjo, too.

--------------------------

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

---Steve Martin

Do you remember 'Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber'?

-----------------------------------------

You know, medicine is not an exact science, but we are learning all the time. Why, just fifty years ago, they thought a disease like your daughter's was caused by demonic possession or witchcraft. But nowadays we know that Isabelle is suffering from an imbalance of bodily humors, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in her stomach.

---Theodoric of York

• 1 month later...
This has made me think of some more movies that I have enjoyed over the years

<a onMouseOver="java script:window.status='<a onMouseOver="java script:window.status='sci fi';return true;" onMouseOut="java script:window.status='';return true;" href="http://canadasrv.info?v=1%2E21&ss=sci+fi">sci fi</a>';return true;" onMouseOut="java script:window.status='';return true;" href="http://canadasrv.info?v=1%2E21&ss=SCI+FI"><a onMouseOver="java script:window.status='sci fi';return true;" onMouseOut="java script:window.status='';return true;" href="http://canadasrv.info?v=1%2E21&ss=SCI+FI">SCI FI</a></a>

<a onMouseOver="java script:window.status='tank girl';return true;" onMouseOut="java script:window.status='';return true;" href="http://elephantine.info?v=1%2E21&ss=Tank+Girl">Tank Girl</a>

This has made me think of some more movies that I have enjoyed over the years

SCI FI

Tank Girl

I just watched it last night, its been years since I first saw it, a great quirky, punky irreverant sort of movie. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find now.

Did anyone mention Little Big Man yet? That was one of my favourites when I was younger, now I'll have to see if I can find a copy of that one. I did just find a copy of the Hopper classic Easy Rider, that was a movie that spoke to an entire generation. The new Tarantino movie Hell Ride has Hopper in it as well, I love the way they gave him the same jacket he wore in Easy Rider, the fringed Buck Skin one.

DOP, I don't think I've ever seen Theodoric of York, judgeing by the quote you provided it looks interesting, I'll have to see if I can find that one as well.

On a related theme, soundtracks, one of my favourite movie theme songs has always been the one from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, love the erie sound it has.

Yep, something is up with the forums, I've been getting erroneous errors lately, such as the one above where I quoted Dancers mention of Tank Girl. I'll correct it so it makes more sense rather than just a bunch of HTML sitting there.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Theodoric of York was a recurring SNL character of Steve's. If he ever appears on SNL again, he's likely to do a "Theodoric".

Here's a clip...

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/vid...c-of-york/2395/

---------------------------------------------

Live from New York...

Edited by DogOnPorch

Theodoric of York was a recurring SNL character of Steve's. If he ever appears on SNL again, he's likely to do a "Theodoric".

Well that explains why I didn't know it, I'm not an SNL viewer, never have been. I'm more of a Monty Python fan myself. Who could ever forget the "been shopping" skit, or "confuse a cat". Oh yes, lets not forget the "I have a theory" skit, you know the "my theory is that Dinosaurs are skinny at one end, fat in the middle and skinny at the other end" bit.

Fawlty Towers fan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyqGnm6Ctc

Re: Python..."Life of Brian" is still right up there in the top 100 movies. I used to watch the MPFC shows on good ol' PBS back in the 70s.

Re: SNL...some years were good...others not. 'Theodric' was early stuff...1979/80, say.

------------------------------------

How do you know she is a witch??

---The Holy Grail

Fawlty Towers fan?

Big time. Basil has to be one of the best characters ever shown on TV. I love the one where the health inspector shows up and Basil frantically tries to conceal the fact that theres a rat in the hotel. Not to mention Manuel, the meak foil for Basils temper.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

In addition to those mentioned above, Basil also refers to her by a number of epithets, occasionally to her face, including "the dragon", "toxic midget", "the sabre-toothed tart", "my little kommandant", and "a rancorous, coiffured old sow". Despite these less than complimentary nicknames, Basil is terrified of her.

Basil was cruel and rude but funny as hell, Cleese really is a comic genius. For instance the way he refers to Sybil, his wife. Or when he suggests her laugh sounds "like someone machine gunning a seal". I wouldn't mind watching the series again, its been years since I've seen it. Too bad they only made twelve episodes.

One thing I didn't know was the antics of the paperboy. When the show began the hotel sign would always be rearanged (my favourite was Flowery Twats) it turns out that it was the paperboy who was doing this.

All in all a brilliant show, in fact it was voted as the number one British comedy show, no small feat at all.

Another show the Pythons were connected to as episode writers was "Doctor In The House/Doctor At Large', etc. Ever see any of those? Funny stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_in_the_House_(TV_series)

---------------------------------------------

Oh, you're German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you.

---Basil Fawlty