Am I The Only One Bothered By This?

Pellaken

No, nothing wrong with you. I agree, it is frightening. Yet where is the line of discovery drawn? Truthfully, it is a terrible thing in my mind but, scince it is possible, it will be done. As human knowlege increases geometrily this willnot be the only crossroads we will come to in the near future.

Try this one; If health care advances and cloning become a commercial reality and body parts can be grown and transplanted it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a man can live virtually forever. By the time he turns say five hundred, virtually every part of his body has been replaced, even his brain in pieces, one part at a time. His memory or the functions are downloaded into a computor and the replacement uploads that information and he carries on.

The question I have is that if this becomes the reality and all parts of the origional have gradually been changed piece by piece and are not the origional, where is the soul?

well, it was this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_cloning

from wikipedia, that freaked me out a bit.

especially the lines:

Other arguments of biological nature are calling into question genetic mixing. Reproductive cloning could imply a reduction in genetic diversity: some biologists consider introducing asexual reproduction (i.e. not-gametic) would limit the unpredictability factor which guarantee diversity in human species.

its scary to think of what you can create, and I dont mean another Hitler, but a monster, who is not recogonizable as "human" even ...

this will become an issue within the next few decades.

It's horrifying but what are we to do ?

We've already realized that human curiousity outreaches our desire for security. It's been forty years since we've had the capability to destroy the earth.

It seems to me that this kind of research should be governed by a world body. Otherwise, different jurisdictions may choose to allow genetic experimentation against the human species.

just to get some perspective on this issue...

by the time scientists could really make the socalled cloned slave "monster" we are all afraid of, 3000 canadians die every year on the roads, i'm sure there are hudnreds of murders every year, thousands of homeless around teh country, underage prostitutes and childmolesters in our nation.

i dont think the potential of tampering with the ethics of life 10 years from now is more important then the hungry child today, or the rape victim, or the drunk driver killing a family on the highway or whatever.

in reality, far more harm is done everyday right now that we have to worry about and are not moving close to solving right now.

yes, the idea of cloning people is distrurbing, but i think there is far more suffering we can reduce right now that would improve our quality of life in the future.

just to get some perspective on this issue...

by the time scientists could really make the socalled cloned slave "monster" we are all afraid of, 3000 canadians die every year on the roads, i'm sure there are hudnreds of murders every year, thousands of homeless around teh country, underage prostitutes and childmolesters in our nation.

i dont think the potential of tampering with the ethics of life 10 years from now is more important then the hungry child today, or the rape victim, or the drunk driver killing a family on the highway or whatever.

in reality, far more harm is done everyday right now that we have to worry about and are not moving close to solving right now.

yes, the idea of cloning people is distrurbing, but i think there is far more suffering we can reduce right now that would improve our quality of life in the future.

Riff, you bring up a good point in comparative savings in lives for energy epended in stopping another dubious activity. As an example, we spend a lot of coin on a useless gun registry that could, if channeled correctly give a safety restraint for every seat on every school bus in the country.

What we have is here and now. A bird in the hand so to speak. However, this is an issue that doesn't take much imagination to see how it could afect every human on the planet in less than twenty years or so. Most likely for the worse, even given the transplant benifit.

Not only is it bringing forth the possibility of a new form of life with new forms of disease but it rips away the fabric of what we have for eons assumed made us human. Kind of like Gay Marrige for scientist I guess. Lawyers will have a heyday rewriting every property law in the books and so on.

One thing I will not enjoy is seeing our traditional unions further erroded as people marry themselves.