McCain backs Khadr's return

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....ew_post&f=3

Senator John McCain says he would favour returning Toronto-born Omar Khadr to Canada from Guantanamo Bay if Prime Minister Stephen Harper requested it.

Khadr, 21, could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted of war crime charges, including killing a U.S. soldier during a firefight in Afghanistan in July 2002. He was 15 at the time.

The government is eventually going to get caught flatfooted when Khadr is sent back to Canada.

I doubt very much that Guantanamo Bay will continue long under whoever becomes President and Khadr will not serve time in a U.S. prison without some serious American court challenges. Figure on the next President to dump the issue in the lap of the Canadian government.

Somehow, Canadian authorities can't even conceive this happening.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government is eventually going to get caught flatfooted when Khadr is sent back to Canada.

I doubt very much that Guantanamo Bay will continue long under whoever becomes President and Khadr will not serve time in a U.S. prison without some serious American court challenges. Figure on the next President to dump the issue in the lap of the Canadian government.

I for one wants him to rot in a US prison... once he has been convicted in a proper court of law under fair procedures, two things which are not about to see the light of day.

I for one wants him to rot in a US prison... once he has been convicted in a proper court of law under fair procedures, two things which are not about to see the light of day.

What the hell...if Canada doesn't want him, send him back to Afghanistan, and release him with a 20 minute head start. :lol:

What if he is innocent? There seems to be serious questions about if he was the one that threw the grenade. Would you have him sit in a prison for the rest of his life because of his family? That seems to be the only reason that Canadians don't want him released. How would you like to be punished for the behaviour of your parents who had complete control of you when you were 14?

Guest American Woman

[...]

Doesn't the Canadian government want him to be released to Canada? Seems to me, in light of the support Canada has given his family, the government would be pushing for the U.S. to release him to Canada.

What if he is innocent? There seems to be serious questions about if he was the one that threw the grenade. Would you have him sit in a prison for the rest of his life because of his family? That seems to be the only reason that Canadians don't want him released. How would you like to be punished for the behaviour of your parents who had complete control of you when you were 14?

I personnally do not believe he is innocent, but as I made it clear I want a real trial for him, one where he deemed legally not guilty until and nunless he is found guilty without any reasonnable doubt.

And if he is found not guilty, then he should be released.

I personnally do not believe he is innocent, but as I made it clear I want a real trial for him, one where he deemed legally not guilty until and nunless he is found guilty without any reasonnable doubt.

And if he is found not guilty, then he should be released.

How can we judge if he is innocent or not since the system Bush has set up doesn't allow anyone to know any details. If ever there was an apparent frame-job this is it. Bush needs a conviction to justify the whole Guantanamo thing and Khadr is an easy target: a 15 year old child and by the very culture he was living under, very much controlled by his father; a country whose populace despises the name he bears; no real representation and a government that fails to back it's own citizens. How can he have justice since there seems to be so many strikes against him not even of his making?

Doesn't the Canadian government want him to be released to Canada? Seems to me, in light of the support Canada has given his family, the government would be pushing for the U.S. to release him to Canada.

The past few governments have either indicated that it is a U.S. problem or have not indicated what their position is as new information comes to light.

It is rather confounding. The family has been a thorn in the side of the Canadian government for years but the government seems to have washed its hands of the affair by ignoring many principles including ensuring Canadian citizens are represented fairly not to mention the longstanding position on child soldiers.

It seems Canada has a position on child soldiers in Africa and Asia that differs on from their position on a child soldier from Canada.

The past few governments have either indicated that it is a U.S. problem or have not indicated what their position is as new information comes to light.

It is rather confounding. The family has been a thorn in the side of the Canadian government for years but the government seems to have washed its hands of the affair by ignoring many principles including ensuring Canadian citizens are represented fairly not to mention the longstanding position on child soldiers.

It seems Canada has a position on child soldiers in Africa and Asia that differs on from their position on a child soldier from Canada.

Khadr doesn't qualify. He never did. I think you know that. The reason why most Canadians don't give a crap what happens to him is that we don't regard either him or his family as Canadians. Ship the whole lot off to Afghanistan as far a I'm concerned.

Khadr doesn't qualify. He never did. I think you know that. The reason why most Canadians don't give a crap what happens to him is that we don't regard either him or his family as Canadians. Ship the whole lot off to Afghanistan as far a I'm concerned.

Like it or not, they are Canadian citizens. And like it or not, their right to express their repugnant opinion is equal to your right to write your drivel.

Like it or not, they are Canadian citizens. And like it or not, their right to express their repugnant opinion is equal to your right to write your drivel.

Fine. Legally, they're Canadian citizens. But I won't cry if all of them pack up and go out on jihad somewhere and never return. As for Khadr, while he's a cause-celebre for the Left, most of the rest of us could not care less what happens to him.

Fine. Legally, they're Canadian citizens. But I won't cry if all of them pack up and go out on jihad somewhere and never return. As for Khadr, while he's a cause-celebre for the Left, most of the rest of us could not care less what happens to him.

New Argus' definition of evil (err I mean left-wing). Anyone who believes that Khadr should be tried, and sentenced for any crime he committed, according to the fundamental rules of justice.

Don't worry, while you are technically living in the 21th century, I won't cry when you pack uup and return to the Stone Age.

How doesn't he qualify? Not as a Canadian citizen? Not as a child soldier? Not as someone who should get a fair trial?

I have nothing but scorn for the family that allowed this to happen. It would have probably been in the children's interest to remove them family for the hatred and reckless endangerment they were put in. However, we in Canada can't even remove children from neo-Nazi's who let their very young children wear Nazu symbols on their body.

Both Liberals and Tories have not known what to do with this whole thing.

The next President is likely to deport Khadr to Canada when Guantanamo Bay is closed.

For the left? I think most hold the Khadr family in scorn for what they ended up doing.

However, the lack of position on Khadr will likely mean he will be dropped in Canadian laps at some point and the government will totally flatfooted on it.

However, the lack of position on Khadr will likely mean he will be dropped in Canadian laps at some point and the government will totally flatfooted on it.

And one thing for sure, he will never spend a day in prison in this country. In fact he will never even be tried. Those who see him as a "victim" (he was 15-yrs old at time of capture) will drown out those calling him a "terrorist".

For the left? I think most hold the Khadr family in scorn for what they ended up doing.

The Conservatives don't want him back.

Tory 'opinion' justifies leaving Khadr in Guantanamo

The Conservative government is resisting repatriating Omar Khadr back to Canada because it believes he would have "no other recourse" than to reconnect with his family - which it calls "terrorist sympathizers."

The government also defends its position as being in Canada's long-term security interest.

http://www.dose.ca/news/story.html?id=787d...27-54a2fc784529

And one thing for sure, he will never spend a day in prison in this country. In fact he will never even be tried. Those who see him as a "victim" (he was 15-yrs old at time of capture) will drown out those calling him a "terrorist".

At 15 years of age, the Canadian policy is try and rehabilitate someone. Have the Tories changed the child soldier policy?

Really? Why don't you tell us why since I've heard even some of the JAG lawyers from the States make this argument.

So, you refuse to educate yourself... Well, it is a convenient position to spread lies here.

By the way, the argument that this Khadr is not a child'soldier has been brought long time ago. Simply, as usual, liberals exploit the fact that majority of Canadians have no idea about precise formulation of laws and treaties. Call a bandit "a child" and squeeze tears from heart bleeding Canadians feeling guilty for the whole world and the whole world history. The old trick.

So, you refuse to educate yourself... Well, it is a convenient position to spread lies here.

By the way, the argument that this Khadr is not a child'soldier has been brought long time ago. Simply, as usual, liberals exploit the fact that majority of Canadians have no idea about precise formulation of laws and treaties. Call a bandit "a child" and squeeze tears from heart bleeding Canadians feeling guilty for the whole world and the whole world history. The old trick.

I hear a hear a lot of noise but not anything to indicate that he isn't a child soldier but not anything to back it up. Typical right wing anger and bullying.

The U.S. keeps changing the rules to try and convict Khadr but their legal case keeps stumbling. It obviously isn't clear even to the extra U.S. judicial system.

Read at least wikipedia, if you are so lazy... It seems you have no idea about who are child-soldiers.

Another blustery statement. Even Wikipedia says that he is often identified as a child solder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr

A Canadian citizen born in Toronto, he is the youngest prisoner held in extrajudicial detention by the United States and has been frequently referred to as a child soldier.

He is being charged as a war criminal and yet he can't be a child soldier?

Even the U.S. Supreme Court ruled earlier versions of the Bush law to convict Khadr were illegal. Only in 2006, did they find a new law to try and convict. This law is also being challenged.