Drive-thrus

The city of London,Ont. is thinking of closing drive-throughs like Timmy's because of the pollution of cars waiting to be served. I think this is one stupid idea for various reasons and two that i can think of is one, cars are tested for e-missions and if they pass they aren't polluting and two, a person would set longer on the street waiting for the light turn green than at a drive-thru. Any thoughts?

The city of London,Ont. is thinking of closing drive-throughs like Timmy's because of the pollution of cars waiting to be served. I think this is one stupid idea for various reasons and two that i can think of is one, cars are tested for e-missions and if they pass they aren't polluting and two, a person would set longer on the street waiting for the light turn green than at a drive-thru. Any thoughts?

I don't think either of your arguments are really that valid:

- Even if cars pass emissions tests, they ARE polluting, just at a lesser level than one that's not polluting

- Yes, cars do probably burn more gas waiting at green lights; that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't make sense to reduce at least some emissions

However, I agree that it is a stupid idea for reasons you have not touched on:

- Its an issue of basic freedom. If people burn to much gas waiting at a drive through, they will end up paying more for gas

- Many people may have limited mobility, and as such forcing them to get out of their car to get food may be a burden

The city of London,Ont. is thinking of closing drive-throughs like Timmy's because of the pollution of cars waiting to be served. I think this is one stupid idea for various reasons and two that i can think of is one, cars are tested for e-missions and if they pass they aren't polluting

I hope you are joking when you say that? Comments like your last sentence scare the crap out of me.

and two, a person would set longer on the street waiting for the light turn green than at a drive-thru. Any thoughts?

You can wait as long as it takes to get your food/coffee/timbit at a drive thru.

I recall a Tims about 10 years ago, put in their drive through. Soon boasting how 70% of the business went through the Window. However, it wasn't 70% new sales. Just a huge drop in counter sales. Which remains current.

Lazy people use drive throughs for convience.

Yes cars waiting in line in a drive through Pollute.

Establishments with drive thrus make MONEY!!!

At least the old A&Ws you parked your car and shut it off. (and then drive away with the Glass) :(

I hope you are joking when you say that? Comments like your last sentence scare the crap out of me.

You can wait as long as it takes to get your food/coffee/timbit at a drive thru.

I recall a Tims about 10 years ago, put in their drive through. Soon boasting how 70% of the business went through the Window. However, it wasn't 70% new sales. Just a huge drop in counter sales. Which remains current.

Lazy people use drive throughs for convience.

Yes cars waiting in line in a drive through Pollute.

Establishments with drive thrus make MONEY!!!

At least the old A&Ws you parked your car and shut it off. (and then drive away with the Glass) :(

I'm surprised that more people haven't seen the obvious. Drive-thrus came on board about the same time as smoking in Timmy's was banned. Smokers did NOT stay inside buying an extra coffee and donut when their habit was banned!

Watch any drive-thru and see how many cars contain smokers. See how many just drive back into the parking lot where the driver sits there and sips his coffee with a smoke.

The call for a ban on drive-thrus has nothing to do with engine idling. It's just another attempt to remove one more place where a smoker can smoke.

I'm surprised that more people haven't seen the obvious. Drive-thrus came on board about the same time as smoking in Timmy's was banned. Smokers did NOT stay inside buying an extra coffee and donut when their habit was banned!

Watch any drive-thru and see how many cars contain smokers. See how many just drive back into the parking lot where the driver sits there and sips his coffee with a smoke.

The call for a ban on drive-thrus has nothing to do with engine idling. It's just another attempt to remove one more place where a smoker can smoke.

I drive through every single morning. With a cig in my hand.

I would be some pissed if I had to park the car, get out of the car, walk in to the restaurant, stand in line, then pay for the coffee, walk back to the car, and drive to work.

I drive through because it is faster and if I hate anything, it's lateness and I would rather die than be late for work.

Why not just lock smokers and drivers in jail? Or better yet... kill 'em all. :rolleyes:

I drive through every single morning. With a cig in my hand.

I would be some pissed if I had to park the car, get out of the car, walk in to the restaurant, stand in line, then pay for the coffee, walk back to the car, and drive to work.

"Some pissed" ?

god forbid you get some exercise.

I drive through because it is faster and if I hate anything, it's lateness and I would rather die than be late for work.

Here's an idea....leave 2 minutes earlier. Hard concept to get around, but it can work.

"Some pissed" ?

god forbid you get some exercise.

Here's an idea....leave 2 minutes earlier. Hard concept to get around, but it can work.

Oh FFS.

Yes I would be some pissed if someone said I would have to get out of my car on my way to work.

Of course you, as a non-working woman, would never understand -- all you have to do all day is lay there with your legs up.

Pfft.

God forbid you could get through the day without the government babysitting you. Did you email your MP so you could take a crap this morning? :lol:

People that want the gubmint to take care of their every little need... God and Gubmint and Jebus, gonna take good care of you if you follow all the rules like a good little sheep. Baaa.

She edited her post before I could respond... LOL

Trying to make her post less... insulting. Next time I'll quote the entire post.

The city of London,Ont. is thinking of closing drive-throughs like Timmy's

I see that you did not read the opening post at all.

The topic is the idea of a government stopping vehicles from using drive throughs.

I do not agree with this as I work out of my car most of the time.

You immediately threw an insult (should I go back and copy all of your insults toward me again?) at me. So I threw one back and now you have call me a whiner? I'm not whining for the government to step in and make my life all pink and pretty, you are.

You are not female???

From the way you approach issues on the board I gleaned that you stay at home. Naturally, given this and your *conservative attitude, I assumed that you were a woman.

*traditional family roles, etc.

Now, would you like to have a civil convo or do you just want to toss insults back and forth?

In the AW drive thru they have a sign that reads "I'm exhausted, please turn off your engine". People do. I do.

But in the Timmy's lineup the wait is much shorter and there is no time to turn off the engine.

Edited by Drea

Guest American Woman

For a parent with babies and/or small children, getting out the car vs going through a drive-thru is a major hassle. Sometimes it's not even do-able. Furthermore, I see people leaving their vehicles running-- or someone waits in the car leaving the vehicle running-- when they make quick runs inside a store, etc. so their vehicle stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. So there would have to be more than a ban on drive-thrus, people would have to, by law, shut off their vehicles when they went inside. It wouldn't help one bit if cars were idling in the parking lots as people ran inside. And what about people who start up their cars ahead of time with auto starters to heat them up/cool them off? That would have to be banned as well.

Edited by American Woman

This is just the latest red-herring lame-ass attempt to pretend that we are doing something about CO2 emissions.

Let's see, which would reduce CO2 emissions more:

1. closing drive-thru's

2. leaving cars shut off at home.

We so want to stop global warming...except if it significantly changes our way of life in any way.

Here's one:

3. Ban all non-essential pleasure air-travel.

We would save astronomical amounts of carbon from being combusted with this one, but dammit, we like polluting the shit out of the environment so we can vacation on a beach on the other side of the planet instead of the beach 100 miles from our house.

FTA

This is just the latest red-herring lame-ass attempt to pretend that we are doing something about CO2 emissions.

Let's see, which would reduce CO2 emissions more:

1. closing drive-thru's

2. leaving cars shut off at home.

We so want to stop global warming...except if it significantly changes our way of life in any way.

Here's one:

3. Ban all non-essential pleasure air-travel.

We would save astronomical amounts of carbon from being combusted with this one, but dammit, we like polluting the shit out of the environment so we can vacation on a beach on the other side of the planet instead of the beach 100 miles from our house.

FTA

While many municipalities have attempted banning of different environmental pollutants, the bottom line is that it is out of their jurisdiction. The Municipal Act does allow municipalities to prescribe by-laws on a number of different matters, but taking charge of environmental issues is not one of them. Any by-law attempting such nonsense would be illegal.

Edited by charter.rights

What we must remember the new breed of cars are coming, no pollution with electric cars . Also, you can buy Timmy's coffee and the groceries store have the same cups for sale, so maybe more people could made their own to take to work, saves time waiting.

While many municipalities have attempted banning of different environmental pollutants, the bottom line is that it is out of their jurisdiction. The Municipal Act does allow municipalities to prescribe by-laws on a number of different matters, but taking charge of environmental issues is not one of them. Any by-law attempting such nonsense would be illegal.

Don't be silly. City's already take charge of environmental issues with no suggestion of any illegality. Cars are not allowed to idle for an extended perios in Toronto...various restaurants have been denied drive thrus via zoning issues......Many cities have banned pesticides,,,

I would suggest that high on the list of city's priorities is ensuring a safe healthy environment for the citizens, and cities have all the power they need to ensure that.

Don't be silly. City's already take charge of environmental issues with no suggestion of any illegality. Cars are not allowed to idle for an extended perios in Toronto...various restaurants have been denied drive thrus via zoning issues......Many cities have banned pesticides,,,

I would suggest that high on the list of city's priorities is ensuring a safe healthy environment for the citizens, and cities have all the power they need to ensure that.

The idling by-law has no legal teeth.

Zoning by-laws can regulate the site by citing that the traffic could become a problem if a drive-through was approved. So they can, through development agreements limit the use of land for a drive-through restaurant. They cannot however limit a drive through once it has been approved. Such a move would trigger a Municipal Board hearing which would easily strike down any by-law (or part) that was deemed beyond the authority under either the municipal act, or the planning act.

Under the Municipal Act municipalities do have the authority to regulate smoking in public areas, but that is something that was specifically approved by the Province. Banning existing drive-through would be beyond their present authority.

What we must remember the new breed of cars are coming, no pollution with electric cars .

Don't hold your breath waiting for that one.

Keep in mind that although electric cars are fine for city dwelling folk they just don't cut the mustard in many agricultural/industrial applications. It'll be a long time before they can produce electric trucks that will compete with the ones we use in my line of work. You need that big engine when you're towing 45' Skyreach lifts or Bobcats and Mini Hoe's.

Farmers also depend heavily on the good old Diesel. Then you have the haulage industry, electric cant do the trick for them yet either.

Jeez, how did anyone survive without drive throughs? Edmonton did a study a few years back on how much fuel was waisted and CO2 produced in drive throughs over the period of a year. I don't remember the numbers but they struck me as pretty large at the time.

Can't believe we have some pro carbon tax folks actually arguing in favour of idling their cars for several minutes because they are too lazy to get off their asses, walk into the store and get their coffee.