South Asians now Canadas largest 'Mintority'

South Asians surpass Chinese as the largest visible minority group

The South Asians became Canada's largest visible minority group in 2006, surpassing Chinese for the first time. The populations of both were well over 1 million.

The 2006 Census enumerated an estimated 1,262,900 individuals who identified themselves as South Asian, a growth rate of 37.7% from 917,100 individuals in 2001. They represented one-quarter (24.9%) of all visible minorities, or 4.0% of the total population in Canada.

In contrast, the number of individuals who identified themselves as Chinese increased 18.2% from 1,029,400 in 2001 to 1,216,600 in 2006. Chinese accounted for 24.0% of the visible minority population and 3.9% of the total Canadian population.

The number of those identifying themselves as Black, the third largest visible minority group, rose 18.4% from 662,200 individuals in 2001 to an estimated 783,800. They accounted for 15.5% of the visible minority population and 2.5% of the total population in 2006.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/080402/d080402a.htm

So In my opinion, the Liberals are basically giving preference to those who have the most racist and xenphobic cultures, who have the most trouble integrating in with Canada and have unusually poor english skills and high unemployment rates (due to their lack of wanting to integrate with our society).

These cultures vote for the Liberal Party of Canada and that is why they are here. That is why I can not ensure a victory at any time for the Conservatives.

I would call the south asian baggage and racism they carry to be 'extreme'. So much so it passes on to their children born here (as I have surveys to show).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average south asian immigrant is highly educated and definately has a better command of the english language than you. None the less, you are still a Canadian by chance, not by choice.

That is why I can not ensure a victory at any time for the Conservatives.

Not that I realized victory or defeat were in your hands, but trust me, you are more of a millstone for the Tories than anything else....

So In my opinion, the Liberals are basically giving preference to those who have the most racist and xenphobic cultures, who have the most trouble integrating in with Canada and have unusually poor english skills and high unemployment rates (due to their lack of wanting to integrate with our society).

Of course the fact that the Liberals are not and havent been in power for years is lost on you. Wake up mikey, its 2008 .

These cultures vote for the Liberal Party of Canada and that is why they are here. That is why I can not ensure a victory at any time for the Conservatives.

These "cultures"....whatever the hell that means unless you are in a lab, are here because they wanted to immigrate. Astouinding how that works eh?

You , nor anyone else on this planet can ensure a victory for the Cons....unless you are Mugabe and we moved the country a few thousand K's .

I would call the south asian baggage and racism they carry to be 'extreme'. So much so it passes on to their children born here (as I have surveys to show).

As our resident city councillor Ford puts it...the orientals work hard and sleep by their machines.

Of course you have surveys ...not that you would ever post them but sure....

Edited by guyser

The average south asian immigrant is highly educated

I don't care about their indian schooling.

Work with a south asian in an office environment as compared to someone from the Ukraine or Poland. Heck, even sometimes Chinese.

You will see the start, vast difference.

At one time south asians were not allowed into Canada because they were called 'unassimable'.

I feel the same way. Since us here in Canada are into pasting labels on minorities and cultures, let me be the first:

I consider south asians to be a unassimable overall with few exceptions. I also find immigrants from the carribian to be the same. Both should not be allowed to immigrate at all IMO. They have politically grouped together, caused an increased in crime (carribean), have broughten their racism, xenephobia, and politics here.

Yet we in Canada seem to want the largest from the to 'worst' groups.

Yes.. they vote Liberal.

Speaking of assimilation.....

• There was a 33.1 per cent increase in the number of mixed unions (marriage and common-law), with Japanese, Latin Americans and Blacks most likely to be involved in a mixed relationship, although they still make up a small percentage — 3.9 per cent — of all couples in Canada. South Asians and Chinese were least likely to form a union outside their ethnic group.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...census2006/home

Funny though, while I only know intimately a small number of southa asians, allof them are involved with others outside their ethnicity. Maybe it's because they are all born here...

I wonder if the fact that anthropologically speaking, south Asians being Caucasians is lost on MD?

I think (note: think) he's talking about culture, not race.

He has a point about those immigrants who don't make an effort to fit in, and instead ensconse themselves in ethnic ghettos. This, I suppose, will always happen; but what concerns me is that, as if simply being ambivolent to the emergence of these linguisitic, cultural, and sometimes racial, enclaves wasn't bad enough, authorities seem to instead be fostering this type of behaviour. Take a tour of Toronto's ethnic "villages" and behold the linguistically tailored street signs; the publicly funded, culturally specific festivals; the unilingual, and not English, buisiness signs; the choice of a third or fourth language in which to do your banking at the local ATMs. Little Italys, Little Portugals, Chinatowns; these things have been around for centuries, and will continue to be there for some time to come. But, doesn't that prove they're self-sufficient and don't actually need the official, or semi-official, accomodation - even "celebration" - of their specific culture, which really only serves to reinforce their cultural and linguistic differences? I can't think of another place I've been to in the world where cultures and languages that are predominantly foreign are so encouraged to not just remain, but to expand.

As the number of ethnic communities, and their populations, grow (as the census results suggest they are), where will this tolerated segregation take us?

Edited by g_bambino

Take a tour of Toronto's ethnic "villages" and behold the linguistically tailored street signs; the publicly funded, culturally specific festivals; the unilingual, and not English, buisiness signs; the choice of a third or fourth language in which to do your banking at the local ATMs. Little Italys, Little Portugals, Chinatowns; these things have been around for centuries, and will continue to be there for some time to come.

Indeed and you can find them everywhere in the world. In montreal there was a little glasgow (south east end), a little dublin (the Pointe)....and of course, westmount and TMR....

Toronto's Chinatown used to be a Jewish ghetto as it were....which is the reason the schmata trade still exists there....in montreal the Jewish streets (St Lawrence and St Urbain) becoame little greece (then little armenia, now sometimes calle the latin quarter but for completely different reason than Paris). Today the Jewish neighbourhoods in Montreal are Cote Ste Luc and Hamstead while in Toronto it's Forest Hill and Bathurst/ Lawrence, Bathurst Finch...

And this all means nothing.....if past history is an indicator, once immigrants have settled in the first thing they do is move to a nicer neighbourhood...brionging their family values with them.

I lived for awhile in the Greek part of Montreal. The only difference between them and my friends on Canada day was the greek food was...umm...greasier...and less beer and more ouzo

As the number of ethnic communities, and their populations, grow (as the census results suggest they are), where will this tolerated segregation take us?

As Dancer opined , it really doesnt lead us anywhere.

Look at Miami or any place south Florida. The latino markets, neighbourhood are well ingrained and you will on most days not even hear english spoken.

Italians have always lived together. Little Italy downtown TO , and now most of them have moved to Woodbridge.

What has it got us? Ornate porch railings, clean lawns and washed driveways. Not so bad in my opinion.

Methinks this isnt working out how mdavid envisioned.

Look at Miami or any place south Florida. The latino markets, neighbourhood are well ingrained and you will on most days not even hear english spoken.

Not above the sound of automatic weapons fire and sirens, at any rate.

Italians have always lived together. Little Italy downtown TO , and now most of them have moved

Those 'cultures' are christian and will let you marry into their family. They join the military and do not cause political strife and instability (see Dion getting elected at the Libearl convention because of Sikh groups swaying a vote 'unnatrually').

What we have here are racist, xenephobic people of other religions, and, their cultures treated almost as a religion. People from the poorest corners of the earth who are still in the stone age and who know nothing else but to get involved politically. We have terrorists.

These people are the worst that any country can ask for (with few exceptions).

They have not contributed, they have just use our system, moving back to their countries, coming back for their tripple bypass surgeries, costing us our healthcare system, creating violent crimes and 'no go' areas, and have done NOTHING for Canada but to ensure the Liberal ridings are secured.

Those 'cultures' are christian and will let you marry into their family. They join the military and do not cause political strife and instability (see Dion getting elected at the Libearl convention because of Sikh groups swaying a vote 'unnatrually').

What we have here are racist, xenephobic people of other religions, and, their cultures treated almost as a religion. People from the poorest corners of the earth who are still in the stone age and who know nothing else but to get involved politically. We have terrorists.

These people are the worst that any country can ask for (with few exceptions).

They have not contributed, they have just use our system, moving back to their countries, coming back for their tripple bypass surgeries, costing us our healthcare system, creating violent crimes and 'no go' areas, and have done NOTHING for Canada but to ensure the Liberal ridings are secured.

We need to get rid of these bums and the bums that want to support them (NDP and Liberals).

xenophobic people don't move to foreign lands.....

...cue the next semi educated hysterical rant

Then I invite you to marry a Sikh persons daughter or an Islamic girl.

Yeah, thought not.

Mexican? Greek? Italian? Sure no problem.

That is the main difference between the two groups. The fundemental.