Air Farce is cancelled

:blink: Good grief. According to the CBC it was a 'comedy' show. It was suppose to be funny?

Typical government-funded mediocrity: A money trough for 'Canadian' cultural insiders to feed at.

They aleo said beloved...what they didn't say was if anyone other that roger abbot's family was wacthing it. Hopefully TH22M won't be far behind.....another show that once was funny but now causes uncomfortable feelings of ichyness....

The problem was that the brain trust at the CBC took more than 20 years before they gave them a shot at television. By the time they got started in the 90's, they were already getting old. They should have pulled the plug when John Morgan retired, the newer cast members never really fit in.

The problem was that the brain trust at the CBC took more than 20 years before they gave them a shot at television. By the time they got started in the 90's, they were already getting old. They should have pulled the plug when John Morgan retired, the newer cast members never really fit in.

They were fine a as a raiso show where their voice talents could shine. As a TV show is was okay if the picture was turned off.

Another great radio comedy show that made the jump to TV and flopped was double exposure...I used to just about wet myself laughing, thier impressions and timing were bang on....but they seemed at a loss on TV.

The CBC played a role in culture up until 1990 or so. Today, in the age of the Internet and a thousand channel television, the CBC as a cultural medium is irrelevent.

Public information is fine at a national level. Perhaps local infrmation in some rural areas. Otherwise, it's an anachronism in 2008.

I turn to CNN, FOX, MSNBC, BBC for my news. Sometimes CTV if something relevent is going on in Canada. I'll watch CBC during elections, etc. while flipping from other Internet or TV stations.

I turn to CNN, FOX, MSNBC, BBC for my news. Sometimes CTV if something relevent is going on in Canada. I'll watch CBC during elections, etc. while flipping from other Internet or TV stations.

As I've said before, many Canadians have opted out of Canadian programming completely except for maybe sports.

If Global, CTV and CBC were all absorbed into American networks, many Canadians wouldn't care or notice. In fact, many don't pay for TV at all with their satellite TVs.

Predictably, it's only the people in this forum (and maybe Freedominion) that don't like Air Farce. The Rest of Canada shall miss them.

The series certainly wasn't cancelled for lack of ratings.

One wonders what some the critics thought was superior comedy: Two and Half Men?

Edited by jdobbin

The series was probably cancelled for lack of ratings. It was certainly underperforming in its time slot.

It certainly wasn't in the top 20....pulling in well under 750,000 viewers, many I assume were sleeping at the time or used Luba Goy's voice to cover the sounds of their love making...the only market it even made a dent in coming in as one of thetop 30 (actullay placeing 30th) was toronto with around 200,000 sleepers...

Actually, this show was on at my house a lot. Only because it came on after Coronation Street (which my wife watches! Not me -- honest!) and we were sometimes too lazy or busy doing other things to bother changing the channel. I suspect a fair chunk of their ratings came from this fact.

The show did really, really, really, really, really suck. Sorry, but it was bad. Almost as bad as the current incarnation of This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

They were fine a as a raiso show where their voice talents could shine. As a TV show is was okay if the picture was turned off.

Another great radio comedy show that made the jump to TV and flopped was double exposure...I used to just about wet myself laughing, thier impressions and timing were bang on....but they seemed at a loss on TV.

You're forgetting that those radio shows were performed before a live audience. I had the privilege of seeing them perform when I was in Lethbridge in 78. They were by far, better than any other improv comedy act including the grossly over-rated Second City. And unlike Second City and the tools that moved on to Saturday Night Live, the Air Farce did not make city life and America their focus of attention. They made the effort to play the small towns across Canada that had little else to watch besides Junior A hockey!

Like I said, they were all getting up in years when they finally got their shot on T.V., and for some reason, Dave Broadfoot, the guy who created the most iconic Air Farce characters, quit the troupe and only did occasional guest appearances when the T.V. show started. The T.V. show would have been stronger if he stayed with it, but it was still better than the punks who would rather try to be clever instead of funny, like Kids In The Hall and This Hour Has 22 Minutes!

Long live the Royal Canadian Air Farce!

I lost interest in Air Farce once Luba Goy had left the show. That new girl does not have half the dynamic of what Luba had.

I shall remember the Chicken Cannon with much adoration.

Luba is still with the show....a big part of the show, probably the biggest....

They made the effort to play the small towns across Canada that had little else to watch besides Junior A hockey!

Like a glass of pee to a man dying of thirst....little else to make them laugh, they seemed funny....