U.S. Had It Coming

I disagree.

These two articles show situations far more justifying "revenge" but the world's chattering classes don't care. The first concerns China's continuing occupation of Tibet (link, excerpts below"), and the second the infamous Janjaweed of Sudan (link, excerpts below") should draw some notice on the part of the many well-intentioned supporters of the "Palestinians". After all, these are also indigenous "peoples" being stripped of lives, self-determination or worse.

Excerpts from Tibet Article:

March 17, 2008

Curbs on Protest in Tibet Lashed by Dalai Lama

By SOMINI SENGUPTA

DHARAMSALA, India — The Dalai Lama accused China on Sunday of waging “cultural genocide” against his followers in Tibet and called for an international inquiry into the suppression of protests there, his strongest defense to date of Tibetan Buddhists who have staged an uprising against Chinese rule.

Speaking at the headquarters of the Tibetan government in exile, the Dalai Lama endorsed the right of his people to press grievances peacefully against the Chinese authorities, and said he would not ask Tibetans to surrender to Chinese military police by midnight on Monday, as Beijing has demanded. He said that he had no moral authority to do so and that Tibetans had beseeched him not to capitulate to that demand.

“Whether the Chinese government admits it or not, a nation with an ancient cultural heritage is actually facing serious dangers,” the Dalai Lama told reporters during an emotionally charged news conference here. “Whether intentionally or unintentionally, some kind of cultural genocide is taking place.”

His comments reflected the inflamed passions among Tibetans abroad, who view the revolts, the largest since the late 1980s, as a watershed moment.

Some Tibetans hope to press for outright independence from China. They argue that they have an unprecedented political opportunity to push for change as China prepares to be the host country for the Olympic Games in August and faces intense scrutiny of its human rights record.

Excerpts from Janjaweed Article

March 2, 2008

Scorched-Earth Strategy Returns to Darfur

By LYDIA POLGREEN

SULEIA, Sudan — The janjaweed are back.

They came to this dusty town in the Darfur region of Sudan on horses and camels on market day. Almost everybody was in the bustling square. At the first clatter of automatic gunfire, everyone ran.

The militiamen laid waste to the town — burning huts, pillaging shops, carrying off any loot they could find and shooting anyone who stood in their way, residents said. Asha Abdullah Abakar, wizened and twice widowed, described how she hid in a hut, praying it would not be set on fire.

“I have never been so afraid,” she said.

The attacks by the janjaweed, the fearsome Arab militias that came three weeks ago, accompanied by government bombers and followed by the Sudanese Army, were a return to the tactics that terrorized Darfur in the early, bloodiest stages of the conflict.

Such brutal, three-pronged attacks of this scale — involving close coordination of air power, army troops and Arab militias in areas where rebel troops have been — have rarely been seen in the past few years, when the violence became more episodic and fractured. But they resemble the kinds of campaigns that first captured the world’s attention and prompted the Bush administration to call the violence in Darfur genocide.

I forgot, Israel is the only country capable of atrocities and these definitely incite revenge. Like this one (link to article):

Israeli doctors perform heart surgery on Iraqi children

By SHERI SHEFA, Staff Reporter

Thursday, 18 October 2007

Five-month-old Tara is being cradled by her mother in cardiology clinic in Amman, Jordan, set up by Save A Child's Heart. [sheila Shalhevet photo]

Israeli doctors made international headlines last week when two Iraqi children were brought to Israel for emergency heart surgery.

Two children, five-month-old Tara and 11-year-old Karwan, suffered from conditions that the doctors felt had to be treated urgently.

Houri decided that Karwan needed urgent care and arranged to have him come to Israel last Thursday.

“When they arrived last night, they were all exhausted, but Karwan’s mom was just in tears, saying, ‘Anshallah, anshallah,” which is like, ‘Thank God.’ She couldn’t believe she was here, in a way,” Lasry recalled.

On the other hand, 24 more children from that group will get treatment from Israeli doctors within the next nine months.

“We do this because it needs to be done. It is a humanitarian cause and we have the means. These are our neighbours. Half of the children we’ve treated have been from Arab countries… We are in the Middle East… and every effort to reach out to work together is really important,” Lasry said.

This is a double post - he has posted this in another thread!

Isn't that a banning offense??? Seems to me a member here got tossed for doing similar last week!!

Oh the double standards abound on this here board...

Carry on...:P:P

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 1960's the US had alot of respect but as time went on and new people lead the country that respect is gone and tarnished.
If you wre a college student on some US campus in 1969 I am quite sure you would have been out protesting the War and calling Nixon and Johnson pigs.

This is a double post - he has posted this in another thread!

Isn't that a banning offense??? Seems to me a member here got tossed for doing similar last week!!

Oh the double standards abound on this here board...

Carry on...:P:P

Read the text written by me (in black). It is not similar to the other post. Also, I did link that other post, so it's no secret that I borrowed from it. I made ful disclsoure by linking.

I thank you for your sincere concern, but you haven't addressed its merits in either place.

Edited by jbg

If you play the game, I think you have to expect to occasionally get burned.

I understand your point. I know you are not trying to justify terrorism and simply say there is a cause and effect relationship between terrorism and foreign policies. Its actually basic counter-intelligence theory.

When I debate that no terrorism is ever justified, I appreciate that is debated in a different context to the one you are now stating. In the context I raise it, I mean morally justified. In the context you raise it, which is far different, it is a basic one of understanding how perceptions to political policies can lead to terrorist reactions.

I wish their was a way we could just talk to each other and not trigger all this violence.

I also understand in the context you intended it when you might say the US or Canada has it coming it DID NOT MEAN Canada or the US deserves it coming and you are not morally justify any terrorist responses.

If you had written with the words, " its reasonable to assume certain foreign policies may trigger terrorist reactions" it would have not been misunderstood.

You are talking about a difficult intelligence concept-risk probability and prediction of particular responses to particular stimuli. Funny when intelligence people or risk analysts talk about it, they tend to use more math, so they don't get misunderstood like you have been.

I actually thought you did a good job trying to state it the way you did carefully clarifying you were not talking about moral justification of terror. I guess you just can't win on some these threads but I appreciate you raised a tough topic.

Edited by Rue