The Polls are Closed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MD I hope you're right.

I heard on CTV that the Greens may take a seat but the riding was not identified. That would make big news.

20 to 16

I doubt the green voters made it out in force as hemp tends to get mangy when wet

Some comments about this election.

1. Ontario (population 9 million) has 107 MPPs. Newfoundland (ppulation 700,000) has 47 MLAs. Why?

2. Dalton McGuinty went to a religious school financed by the State. So, how could he object to State-financing of religious schools?

3. Dalton McGuinty promised not to raise taxes and then he raised taxes. If he wins, does that mean he can ignore anything he's ever said?

4. If John Tory loses, does this mean that voters prefer the "real" Liberal instead of the wannabe Liberal?

5. Why is it still called the Progressive Conservative Party?

6. I suspect that state-financing of religious schools was in fact a quiet, polite way of saying that voters didn't like John Tory's smugness.

7. I agree with Preston Manning. We hand over students to a monolithic union organization to educate our kids. Is that good?

Ontario Conservative Leader John Tory's proposal to expand public funding of religious schools raises some important educational issues that need to be wisely resolved in all provinces if we are to provide Canadian children with the best education in the world.

In the words of Harvard economist Caroline Hoxby: “It appears that public schools are induced to raise achievement when they are faced with competition. … This is not only good news for students; it should be welcome news to those who think that public schools have much good potential.”

Must the provision of greater freedom of choice in education lead to a plethora of offbeat educational cul-de-sacs operated by insular cultural or religious groups? Not if the province requires all educational institutions – public and private – to be accredited in accordance with clearly established educational standards and to be held publicly accountable for performance and results.

G & M

This election has been a missed chance to debate serious matters. I suspect McGuinty didn't want a serious debate at all.

I guess it'll be a Liberal majority.

Edited by August1991

4. If John Tory loses, does this mean that voters prefer the "real" Liberal instead of the wannabe Liberal?

If the PC party loses really badly (as it appears will happen) and Tory doesn't win his seat, I hope he steps down for the good of the party. This issue of faith based funding was his undoing and it will dog him forever.

8. Who is M. Dancer and how can his scintillating analysis change so radically in minutes? (Is M. Dancer the nom-de-plume of a well-known TV analyst?)

The Polls are closed and I predict a much closer race than the pollster have led us to believe......

currently the liberals lead 9 to 8

Morris Dancer predicts a liberal landslide.........

What were the numbers prior to tonight's vote?

Liberal Party: popular vote 46.45 - total seats 72

Progressive Conservative Party: popular vote 34.64 - total seats 24

New Democratic Party: popular vote 14.70 - total seats 7

Other popular vote 4.21

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/2007-...eneral-election

Those were the 2003 election results. The linked site gives the numbers at dissolution.

Edited by capricorn

I'm watching this on the CBC-TV feed on the Internet. Gawd, Ontario politics are so boring. The talking heads should package their conversation and sell it late at night as a DVD for insomniacs.

"Over to you Dana for your analysis of the close race in Parry River-Nippiwhats where the Liberals have increased their lead by 140 votes. Is this more evidence of Ontario's preference for Liberal values?"

Some comments about this election.

1. Ontario (population 9 million) has 107 MPPs. Newfoundland (ppulation 700,000) has 47 MLAs. Why?

Actually there are 505,000 people in NL and there are 48 MHA's. There were 52 up untill the mid 90'. It should be really be 30 max.

Ontario's Electorial map is the same as the Federal Ontario Electoral map, by Ontario own choice.

Liberal Party: popular vote 46.45 - total seats 72

Progressive Conservative Party: popular vote 34.64 - total seats 24

New Democratic Party: popular vote 14.70 - total seats 7

Other popular vote 4.21

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/2007-...eneral-election

Those were the 2003 election results. The linked site gives the numbers at dissolution.

Ah. I was wondering what they were talking about about with the 72. I was more aware of the number at dissolution.

Tory lost his own seat.

Wow...

Tory made two big mistakes. The faith-based school issue, and giving up a safe seat to run against Kathleen Wynne. Wynne has been representing people in the riding for years - first in municipal politics, and then provincial. Tory should have stayed in Orangeville.

Leadership does matter, I suppose.

Honesty, intelligence and looking beyond tax hikes to find innovative solutions, on the other hand, are obviously not required.

How could the PC people behind the scenes 'let' this happen though?

I just don't get it. Well I do.. it's no different than any other workplace. Tory became the boss and wanted things done his way or no way. I saw the PC party president on TV today.. he was awfully young looking. And they had a lot of financing also...

Wow I feel so sorry for Tory. Well I don't feel too bad for him becuase reminds me of those stuborn bosses I always hated.