Happy Thanksgiving

Denny

Thanksgiving is an interesting thought.

I believe in God. At one time I was a Christian, now I'm not so sure. Rationality has won me over. Being thankful to a God for all around me seems like a rather bad idea. Maybe we should be thankful to the individuals that have created such opportunity for us all.

I think we all need to appreciate the luxury of our lives in order to put it into context with some other areas of the world that don't have all that we do. To appreciate our opportunities so that we can better take advantage of them.

A friend sent me this:

I thought it was amazing reflecing on how much we complain about such minor things. Today, I found myself complaining about my stupid stuck defrost in my car. Pain in the ass, really is. But compared to the suffering of the 99% of the world that is worse off, I'm a just a spoiled brat.

Even in Canada the suffering of others is profound. The average salary in Canada is about $35k, the average family income around $50. I find this remarkable in itself. I've never lived on my own on less than $35k. Yet I suffered at the beginning of university... or so I thought. Some days I still think I suffer... but I've got to put it into perspective.

I don't think I have to be thankful for my current situation. Who would I thank? Who is responsible? It's great I was born in Canada to middle class parents rather than in Africa or South East Asia. But really, who is to thank for that?

I think the best 'thanks' or appreciation that one can give is to make best of the opportunties that they come across. I find it profoundly insulting to those living in 3rd world countries when Canadian kids turn down education to do drugs or whatever else instead.

I don't think people should feel guilty that we live in Canada. I don't think anyone needs to be thankful. I do think that everyone has to take a look at themselves and say, "hey, I need to make the most out of what I've come across in life. Am I taking full advantage of my opportunites as not to insult those that never had them?"

OHEN:TON KARIWENTEHKWEN (Iroquois Thanksgiving Address or "First Matter of Business")

Sewatahonhsi:iost Ken’nikarihwesha Sewakwe:kon

Everyone listen for a short time. Everyone.

Ne kati Teshitewanonhwera:ton Ne Shonkwaia’tison ne wahi

To Him we are grateful to the One who made us.

Rohsa’anion Akwe:kon Tsi Naho:ten Teiotawen:ier Ne Tsi Ionhontsa:te

He made everything that whatever is about in all the world

{The People}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Onkwe’shon :a

We offer our greetings to all the people.

Today we have gathered and we see that the cycles of life continue. We have been given the duty to live in balance and harmony with each other and all living things. So now, we bring our thoughts together as one as we give greetings and thanks to each other as people.

Tho Kati Neniotónhake Ne Onkwanikon:ra

And that is the way it will be in our minds.

{The Earth Mother}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ietsinihstén:ha Tsi Iohontsa :te

We offer our greetings to our mother the earth.

We are all thankful to our Mother, the Earth, for she gives us all that we need for life. She supports our feet as we walk upon her. It gives us joy that she continues to care for us as she has from the beginning of time. To our Mother, we send greetings and thanks.

We see that the Earth Mother is performing the instructions given to Her by the Creator.

{The Waters}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tsi Kahnekaronnion

We offer our greetings to all the waters.

We give thanks to all the waters of the world for quenching our thirst and providing us with strength. Water is life. We know its power in many forms-waterfalls and rain, mists and streams, rivers and oceans. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the spirit of Water.

We see that the Waters are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Fish}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kentsonshon:á

We offer our greetings to all the fish life

We turn our minds to the all the Fish life in the water. They were instructed to cleanse and purify the water. They also give themselves to us as food. We are grateful that we can still find pure water. So, we turn now to the Fish and send our greetings and thanks.

We see that they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Plants}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ohonte’shon:á

We offer our greetings to all the plant life

Now we turn toward the vast fields of Plant life. As far as the eye can see, the Plants grow, working many wonders. They sustain many life forms. With our minds gathered together, we give thanks and look forward to seeing Plant life for many generations to come.

We see that the Plants are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Food Plants}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tionhehkwen Tanon Ne Kahihshon:a

We offer our greetings to all the different foods, the fruits and berries.

With one mind, we turn to honor and thank all the Food Plants we harvest from the garden. Since the beginning of time, the grains, vegetables, beans, fruits and berries have helped the people survive. Many other living things draw strength from them too. We gather all the Plant Foods together as one and send them a greeting of thanks.

We see that the Food Plants are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Medicine Herbs}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ononhkwa’shon:á

We offer our greetings to all the medicines.

Now we turn to all the Medicine herbs of the world. From the beginning they were instructed to take away sickness. They are always waiting and ready to heal us. We are happy there are still among us those special few who remember how to use these plants for healing. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the Medicines and to the keepers of the Medicines.

And we see that they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Animals}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kontirio

We offer our greetings to all the animals.

We gather our minds together to offer thanks to all the Animal life in the world. They have many things to teach us as people. They honor us when they give up their lives so we may use their bodies as food, their skin for our clothing and their bones for tools. We see them near our homes and in the deep forests. We are glad they are still here and we hope that it will always be so.

We know that the Animals are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Trees}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Karonta’shon:’a Tanon Okwire’shon:a

We offer our greetings to all the tree life, the big trees and all the saplings and the bushes.

The Earth has many families of Trees who have their own instructions and uses. Some provide us with shelter and shade, others with fruit, beauty and other useful things. Many people of the world use a Tree as a symbol of peace and strength. With one mind, we greet and thank the Tree life.

We see that the Trees are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Insects}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Otsinonwa’shon:a

We offer our greetings to all the insect life

We turn to the insects of this world and watch in fascination as they move from plant to plant giving new life to the plants. They offer themselves as food to the animals. They exist in the smallest form and through the harshest conditions they arise and begin a new day. With one mind we send our greetings and thanks to all the insect life.

{The Birds}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Otsi’ten’okon:’a

We offer our greetings to all the bird life.

We put our minds together as one and thank all the Birds who move and fly about over our heads. The Creator gave them beautiful songs. Each day they remind us to enjoy and appreciate life. The Eagle was chosen to be their leader. To all the Birds-from the smallest to the largest-we send our joyful greetings and thanks.

We see the Birds are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Four Winds}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kaie:ri Nikawera:ke

We offer our greetings to the four winds.

We are all thankful to the powers we know as the Four Winds. We hear their voices in the moving air as they refresh us and purify the air we breathe. They help us to see the change of seasons. From the four directions they come, bringing us messages and giving us strength. With one mind, we send our greetings and thanks to the Four Winds for they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Thunderers}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Iethiso’tho:ken Ratiwe:rahs

We offer our thanks to the thunder Now we turn to the west where our grandfathers, the Thunder Beings, live. With lightning and thundering voices, they bring with them the water that renews life. We are thankful that they keep those evil things made by Okwiseres underground. We bring our minds together as one to send greetings and thanks to our Grandfathers, the Thunderers.

We understand that they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Sun}

Tetsitewanonhwera:ton Ne shonkwantsi’a Tiehkehnekha Karahkwa

We offer our greetings to our elder brother the sun.

We now send greetings and thanks to our eldest Brother, the Sun. Each day without fail he travels the sky from east to west, bringing the light of a new day. He is the source of all the fires of life. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Brother, the Sun.

We see Our Brother the Sun is performing the instructions given to Him by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{Grandmother Moon}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ietsi:‘sotha Ashonthenkha Karahkwa

We offer our greetings to our Grandmother the moon.

We put our minds together to give thanks to our oldest Grandmother, the Moon, who lights the night-time sky. She is the leader of woman all over the world, and she governs the movement of the ocean tides. By her changing face we measure time, and it is the Moon who watches over the arrival of children here on Earth. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Grandmother, the Moon.

We see Our Grandmother, the Moon is performing the instructions given to Her by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Stars}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tsi Iotsistohkwaronnion

We offer our greetings to all the stars.

We give thanks to the Stars who are spread across the sky like jewelry. We see them in the night, helping the Moon to light the darkness and bringing dew to the gardens and growing things. When we travel at night, they guide us home. With our minds gathered together as one, we send greetings and thanks to the Stars.

We see that the wonderful Stars are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Enlightened Teachers}

We gather our minds to greet and thank the enlightened Teachers who have come to help throughout the ages. We are grateful to hear the voices of the past among us. When we forget how to live in harmony, they remind us of the way we were instructed to live as people. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to these caring teachers.

We see that the Enlightened Teachers have performed the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Creator}

O:nen Tetsitewanonhwera:ton ne Shonkwaia’tison

Now we offer our greetings to the creator.

Now we turn our thoughts to the Creator, or Great Spirit, and send greetings and thanks for all the gifts of Creation. Everything we need to live a good life is here on this Mother Earth. For all the Love that is still around us, we gather our minds together as one and send our choicest words of greetings and thanks to the Creator.

{Closing Words}

O:nen Tho Niio:re Wakateriwatkwe:ni Toka The:nen Sonkenikonhrhen i:se ke ne’e Sewakwata:ko Tanon Aesewatera’swiiohake

We have now arrived at the place where we end our words. Of all the things we have named, it was not our intention to leave anything out. If something was forgotten, we leave it to each individual to send such greetings and thanks in their own way.

Tho Nikawén:nake

That’s it.

I believe in God. At one time I was a Christian, now I'm not so sure. Rationality has won me over. Being thankful to a God for all around me seems like a rather bad idea. Maybe we should be thankful to the individuals that have created such opportunity for us all.

I think we all need to appreciate the luxury of our lives in order to put it into context with some other areas of the world that don't have all that we do. To appreciate our opportunities so that we can better take advantage of them.

A friend sent me this:

I thought it was amazing reflecing on how much we complain about such minor things. Today, I found myself complaining about my stupid stuck defrost in my car. Pain in the ass, really is. But compared to the suffering of the 99% of the world that is worse off, I'm a just a spoiled brat.

Even in Canada the suffering of others is profound. The average salary in Canada is about $35k, the average family income around $50. I find this remarkable in itself. I've never lived on my own on less than $35k. Yet I suffered at the beginning of university... or so I thought. Some days I still think I suffer... but I've got to put it into perspective.

I don't think I have to be thankful for my current situation. Who would I thank? Who is responsible? It's great I was born in Canada to middle class parents rather than in Africa or South East Asia. But really, who is to thank for that?

I think the best 'thanks' or appreciation that one can give is to make best of the opportunties that they come across. I find it profoundly insulting to those living in 3rd world countries when Canadian kids turn down education to do drugs or whatever else instead.

I don't think people should feel guilty that we live in Canada. I don't think anyone needs to be thankful. I do think that everyone has to take a look at themselves and say, "hey, I need to make the most out of what I've come across in life. Am I taking full advantage of my opportunites as not to insult those that never had them?"

Just back from Northern Ireland and that country is booming but while I, my parents and sibling were living in positive comfort my Uncle and his family were living in a thatched cottage. My cousin was raising her family at the same time as I and she was living in a two room cottage with a thatched roof, no hydro, no running water and not even a good road to walk down. Yes we tend to be a bunch of spoiled brats.

But on the other hand my husband and I have never had even a combined wage of over $30,000 a year. We live on a lot less now.

Edited by margrace

A friend sent me this:

I'm sure you're well aware of this, but I'll mention it anyway; Thanksgiving Day used to have considerably more significance because it marks the end of the growing season, and there was a time when most people lived in the country and were dependent upon agriculture. Celebrating the harvest, especially a good harvest, would have been of an importance most of us can no longer fully understand. It certainly is an indication of the way things have become when the original purpose of Thanksgiving Day has become irrelevant. We are all, however, still dependent upon agriculture, and there could very well be a time when this will really hit home.

OHEN:TON KARIWENTEHKWEN (Iroquois Thanksgiving Address or "First Matter of Business")

Sewatahonhsi:iost Ken’nikarihwesha Sewakwe:kon

Everyone listen for a short time. Everyone.

Ne kati Teshitewanonhwera:ton Ne Shonkwaia’tison ne wahi

To Him we are grateful to the One who made us.

Rohsa’anion Akwe:kon Tsi Naho:ten Teiotawen:ier Ne Tsi Ionhontsa:te

He made everything that whatever is about in all the world

{The People}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Onkwe’shon :a

We offer our greetings to all the people.

Today we have gathered and we see that the cycles of life continue. We have been given the duty to live in balance and harmony with each other and all living things. So now, we bring our thoughts together as one as we give greetings and thanks to each other as people.

{The Earth Mother}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ietsinihstén:ha Tsi Iohontsa :te

We offer our greetings to our mother the earth.

We are all thankful to our Mother, the Earth, for she gives us all that we need for life. She supports our feet as we walk upon her. It gives us joy that she continues to care for us as she has from the beginning of time. To our Mother, we send greetings and thanks.

We see that the Earth Mother is performing the instructions given to Her by the Creator.

{The Waters}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tsi Kahnekaronnion

We offer our greetings to all the waters.

We give thanks to all the waters of the world for quenching our thirst and providing us with strength. Water is life. We know its power in many forms-waterfalls and rain, mists and streams, rivers and oceans. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the spirit of Water.

We see that the Waters are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Fish}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kentsonshon:á

We offer our greetings to all the fish life

We turn our minds to the all the Fish life in the water. They were instructed to cleanse and purify the water. They also give themselves to us as food. We are grateful that we can still find pure water. So, we turn now to the Fish and send our greetings and thanks.

{The Plants}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ohonte’shon:á

We offer our greetings to all the plant life

Now we turn toward the vast fields of Plant life. As far as the eye can see, the Plants grow, working many wonders. They sustain many life forms. With our minds gathered together, we give thanks and look forward to seeing Plant life for many generations to come.

We see that the Plants are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Food Plants}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tionhehkwen Tanon Ne Kahihshon:a

We offer our greetings to all the different foods, the fruits and berries.

With one mind, we turn to honor and thank all the Food Plants we harvest from the garden. Since the beginning of time, the grains, vegetables, beans, fruits and berries have helped the people survive. Many other living things draw strength from them too. We gather all the Plant Foods together as one and send them a greeting of thanks.

We see that the Food Plants are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Medicine Herbs}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ononhkwa’shon:á

We offer our greetings to all the medicines.

Now we turn to all the Medicine herbs of the world. From the beginning they were instructed to take away sickness. They are always waiting and ready to heal us. We are happy there are still among us those special few who remember how to use these plants for healing. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the Medicines and to the keepers of the Medicines.

And we see that they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Animals}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kontirio

We offer our greetings to all the animals.

We gather our minds together to offer thanks to all the Animal life in the world. They have many things to teach us as people. They honor us when they give up their lives so we may use their bodies as food, their skin for our clothing and their bones for tools. We see them near our homes and in the deep forests. We are glad they are still here and we hope that it will always be so.

We know that the Animals are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Trees}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Karonta’shon:’a Tanon Okwire’shon:a

We offer our greetings to all the tree life, the big trees and all the saplings and the bushes.

The Earth has many families of Trees who have their own instructions and uses. Some provide us with shelter and shade, others with fruit, beauty and other useful things. Many people of the world use a Tree as a symbol of peace and strength. With one mind, we greet and thank the Tree life.

We see that the Trees are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Insects}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Otsinonwa’shon:a

We offer our greetings to all the insect life

We turn to the insects of this world and watch in fascination as they move from plant to plant giving new life to the plants. They offer themselves as food to the animals. They exist in the smallest form and through the harshest conditions they arise and begin a new day. With one mind we send our greetings and thanks to all the insect life.

{The Birds}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Otsi’ten’okon:’a

We offer our greetings to all the bird life.

We put our minds together as one and thank all the Birds who move and fly about over our heads. The Creator gave them beautiful songs. Each day they remind us to enjoy and appreciate life. The Eagle was chosen to be their leader. To all the Birds-from the smallest to the largest-we send our joyful greetings and thanks.

We see the Birds are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator.

{The Four Winds}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Kaie:ri Nikawera:ke

We offer our greetings to the four winds.

We are all thankful to the powers we know as the Four Winds. We hear their voices in the moving air as they refresh us and purify the air we breathe. They help us to see the change of seasons. From the four directions they come, bringing us messages and giving us strength. With one mind, we send our greetings and thanks to the Four Winds for they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Thunderers}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Iethiso’tho:ken Ratiwe:rahs

We offer our thanks to the thunder Now we turn to the west where our grandfathers, the Thunder Beings, live. With lightning and thundering voices, they bring with them the water that renews life. We are thankful that they keep those evil things made by Okwiseres underground. We bring our minds together as one to send greetings and thanks to our Grandfathers, the Thunderers.

We understand that they are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Sun}

Tetsitewanonhwera:ton Ne shonkwantsi’a Tiehkehnekha Karahkwa

We offer our greetings to our elder brother the sun.

We now send greetings and thanks to our eldest Brother, the Sun. Each day without fail he travels the sky from east to west, bringing the light of a new day. He is the source of all the fires of life. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Brother, the Sun.

We see Our Brother the Sun is performing the instructions given to Him by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{Grandmother Moon}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Ietsi:‘sotha Ashonthenkha Karahkwa

We offer our greetings to our Grandmother the moon.

We put our minds together to give thanks to our oldest Grandmother, the Moon, who lights the night-time sky. She is the leader of woman all over the world, and she governs the movement of the ocean tides. By her changing face we measure time, and it is the Moon who watches over the arrival of children here on Earth. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Grandmother, the Moon.

We see Our Grandmother, the Moon is performing the instructions given to Her by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Stars}

Teiethinonhwera:ton Ne Tsi Iotsistohkwaronnion

We offer our greetings to all the stars.

We give thanks to the Stars who are spread across the sky like jewelry. We see them in the night, helping the Moon to light the darkness and bringing dew to the gardens and growing things. When we travel at night, they guide us home. With our minds gathered together as one, we send greetings and thanks to the Stars.

We see that the wonderful Stars are performing the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Enlightened Teachers}

We gather our minds to greet and thank the enlightened Teachers who have come to help throughout the ages. We are grateful to hear the voices of the past among us. When we forget how to live in harmony, they remind us of the way we were instructed to live as people. With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to these caring teachers.

We see that the Enlightened Teachers have performed the instructions given to them by the Creator. Now our minds are one.

{The Creator}

O:nen Tetsitewanonhwera:ton ne Shonkwaia’tison

Now we offer our greetings to the creator.

Now we turn our thoughts to the Creator, or Great Spirit, and send greetings and thanks for all the gifts of Creation. Everything we need to live a good life is here on this Mother Earth. For all the Love that is still around us, we gather our minds together as one and send our choicest words of greetings and thanks to the Creator.

{Closing Words}

O:nen Tho Niio:re Wakateriwatkwe:ni Toka The:nen Sonkenikonhrhen i:se ke ne’e Sewakwata:ko Tanon Aesewatera’swiiohake

We have now arrived at the place where we end our words. Of all the things we have named, it was not our intention to leave anything out. If something was forgotten, we leave it to each individual to send such greetings and thanks in their own way.

Tho Nikawén:nake

That’s it.

Would this be permitted if it was from any other religious belief? Especially Christianity? I think if people want to make comments, it's one thing; but cutting and pasting things like this, and of this length is another.

I'll echo Capricorn's thanks to the farmers who grew the food I will cook, serve, and eat this weekend. I grew up on a farm, and even though I'm a city dweller now I still try to honour the harvest by using fresh, seasonal foods and following the old recipes (my pumpkin pies start with a fresh pumpkin, and I think my kids would walk away from the table before eating a store bought perogy). I hope everyone at MLW enjoys the long weekend, and spends it with people who are special to them.

I thank them by buying their food. Sometimes it's tasty, other's it's not.

Why do people have such sympathy towards farmers? They are businessmen like the rest. Do you give time every year to thank the oil execs that ensure you have containers to put that food into and that you can drive to the store to get it?

Irrational beliefs.

I thank them by buying their food. Sometimes it's tasty, other's it's not.

Why do people have such sympathy towards farmers? They are businessmen like the rest. Do you give time every year to thank the oil execs that ensure you have containers to put that food into and that you can drive to the store to get it?

Irrational beliefs.

I think that if you'd ask a farmer, they tell you they wonder why people have so little sympathy for them. Many of these people struggle year after year, live on meagre incomes, and have to contend with unsympathetic banks and governments... yet they continue to farm. It should come as no surprise that when the chance presents itself, the farmer will sell his land to developers. We all have it good because the price of food is artificially low. In Ontario we're losing a lot of prime farmland, and this should not be happening.

I think that if you'd ask a farmer, they tell you they wonder why people have so little sympathy for them. Many of these people struggle year after year, live on meagre incomes, and have to contend with unsympathetic banks and governments... yet they continue to farm. It should come as no surprise that when the chance presents itself, the farmer will sell his land to developers. We all have it good because the price of food is artificially low. In Ontario we're losing a lot of prime farmland, and this should not be happening.

Who the hell wouldn't like to live on 50-100 acres or more and call it home.

I have no sympathy for farmers, they want their cake and they want to eat it to.

If they can't compete with U.S. market, then they don't have the proper resources or the climate.

Go pump gas and rent or buy like everyone else!

I have no sympathy for farmers, they want their cake and they want to eat it to.

If they can't compete with U.S. market, then they don't have the proper resources or the climate.

Ack!

You've never farmed. It is work work work work work. There are no "two weeks off" to go to the cabin every summer. There is no extended group medical/dental. There is just work work work with little or no thanks from the rest of the country. (I'm talking about the family run farm, not the conglomerate owned by shareholders).

You go out there in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, sleet, hail, snowstorm and help those heifers birth their calves so you can eat prime rib. You go out there the day after a rain storm and see how many acres of alphalpha are saleable. Sure there is insurance, but once you lose a buyer they don't come back.

Farming is a ton of work and family farms deserve our thanks.

Thank you farmers for the turkey I am about to put in the oven. Thank you for the potatoes I will peel later, thank you for the yams and the carrots and the big old pumpkin. THANK YOU!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Would this be permitted if it was from any other religious belief? Especially Christianity? I think if people want to make comments, it's one thing; but cutting and pasting things like this, and of this length is another.
Hey Kengs333, why not type out your "thanks". No one is stopping you. I thought it was beautiful (thanks Posit) and saved it. Makes more sense to thank our "mother" than an absent "father".... ;) Edited by Drea

We have all types of special days in Canada. Here are some:

Special Days of Observance in Canada

(Canadian Heritage Website - November, 2004)

February

African Heritage Month / Black History Month

White Cane Week 2 - 8

Special Olympics Canada - 17 - 21

March

International Women’s Week 7 - 13

International Women’s Day - 8

International Francophonie Day - 20

International Day of the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - 21

Week of Solidarity With People Struggling Against

Racism and Racial Discrimination - 21 - 28

April

Holocaust Memorial Day - 18

May

Aboriginal Awareness Week - 25 - 28

June

National Access Awareness Day - 7

GBLT Pride Month

National Aboriginal Day - 21

St Jean Baptiste Day - 24

Canadian Multiculturalism Day - 27

August

International Day of The World’s Indigenous People - 9

National Acadian Day - 15

September

World Peace Day - 21

October

Person Day - 18< p>

November

International Day of Tolerance - 16

International Day for The Elimination of Violence Against Women - 25

December

International Day for the Abolition of Slavery - 2

International Day of Disabled Persons - 3

National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women - 6

Human Rights Day - 10

http://www.ceiu-seic.ca/page_1644.cfm

Surely, there is still room left on the calendar to recognize our farmers for their contribution to Canada. We'd better hurry up, the calendar's getting full. They qualify since they are now a special interest group. :lol:

Most farmers need somewhat more than 50-100 acres to get by. I don't think they "want their cake and they want to eat it to [sic]" rather they just want to be treated fairly, want to receive a reasonable return for the products they produce. But I can see that trying to discuss this with someone who would make a comment like "Go pump gas and rent or buy like everyone else!" is next to useless.

Most farmers need somewhat more than 50-100 acres to get by. I don't think they "want their cake and they want to eat it to [sic]" rather they just want to be treated fairly, want to receive a reasonable return for the products they produce. But I can see that trying to discuss this with someone who would make a comment like "Go pump gas and rent or buy like everyone else!" is next to useless.

"rather they just want to be treated fairly'.

TALK ABOUT NOT MAKING ANY SENSE!

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the forums. Hope you have time to spend with friends and family and enjoy a good meal together.

My mom is such a great cook. Thanksgiving and Christmas are about the only times we get together as a whole family anymore. And having everything home grown makes everything so much better (turkey, pumpkin and the local cranberry patch). :)