My daughter didn't go to school today

Melanie_

The poor police and Crown have a hard time doing their jobs...oh I feel very sorry for them. I can't think of a Crown prosecutor who isn't out the door at 4:29 in the afternoon while I have a solid three more hours of work ahead of me on any given night.

I win cases by simply doing my job better than my adversary...it is not a resource issue at all.

In fact, a first-class constable in Calgary makes over $70,000 a year...which is just shy of what I made in the very lucrative practice of criminal law last year. Give me a break from the bullshit about all of the personal profit I am raping from the system (or send me some cash to help pay the bills).

The majority of criminal accused require Legal Aid coverage to defend against the vast budgets of the police and Crown. The standard fee proscribed by Legal Aid for a one-day trial is $735.00. Add in the $82.00 you get for interviewing your client and a few other luxurious items and you might get your fees up to $1,000.00. Now, if this only represented your compensation for the actual day of trial you'd be doing okay...but here's the quote directly from the Alberta Legal Aid handbook:

The block Tariff fee for appearing for trial includes the following:

- all appearances to set dates of for election and plea,

- obtaining disclosure,

- defence adjournments, except where Item 9 applies,

- negotiations with the police and Crown,

- preparation of witnesses, and

- all preparatory work except where another Tariff Item expressly applies.

So yes, with rent in downtown Calgary going to $50 per square foot close to the courthouse and professional fees and legal research fees and support staff salaries etc. etc. I just have no choice but to open an extra office to stuff all of my extra cash that won't fit in the bank vault...I mean $1,000.00 for conducting a defence file from beginning to end really does give me an incredible financial advantage over the state. :blink:

As for tainted blood and O.J. Simpson, it's hiarious that you put your two comments side by side and don't even see the self-destructive nature of what you said. The acquittals on criminal charges in the tainted blood case have no binding effect on civil cases...or did you not know that O.J. lost a wrongful death claim after being found not guilty?

Anyway, I guess next time I have a client being put to an election about the mode of trial he wants and he's having trouble choosing between judge alone or judge and jury, I'll remind him how lucky he is that "trial by NBC opinion poll" isn't the way we do things.

FTA

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poor police and Crown have a hard time doing their jobs...oh I feel very sorry for them. I can't think of a Crown prosecutor who isn't out the door at 4:29 in the afternoon while I have a solid three more hours of work ahead of me on any given night.

Consider yourself lucky then..if you have something to work with, unlike the poor crown prosecutor who goes home early because of nothing to work with from a partially done investigation caused by police being improperly funded.

I win cases by simply doing my job better than my adversary...it is not a resource issue at all.

You might think that in your own mind, but I would say the way the Charter is written up and the lack of evidence produced by the Crown, you probably consider it a piece of cake.

In fact, a first-class constable in Calgary makes over $70,000 a year...which is just shy of what I made in the very lucrative practice of criminal law last year. Give me a break from the bullshit about all of the personal profit I am raping from the system (or send me some cash to help pay the bills).

Maybe your living a little to high hog.

But then again a first -class constable risk his life, is physically spit on, attacked etc. and you worry about bills to pay, from the comforts of your home office.

The majority of criminal accused require Legal Aid coverage to defend against the vast budgets of the police and Crown. The standard fee proscribed by Legal Aid for a one-day trial is $735.00. Add in the $82.00 you get for interviewing your client and a few other luxurious items and you might get your fees up to $1,000.00.

You already admitted you spend three hours work per case, so add to that another 8-10= $1,000....not bad for 11-14 hours work.

So yes, with rent in downtown Calgary going to $50 per square foot close to the courthouse and professional fees and legal research fees and support staff salaries etc. etc. I just have no choice but to open an extra office to stuff all of my extra cash that won't fit in the bank vault...I mean $1,000.00 for conducting a defence file from beginning to end really does give me an incredible financial advantage over the state.

Oh, I didn't know that...are you in competition with the State.

As for tainted blood and O.J. Simpson, it's hiarious that you put your two comments side by side and don't even see the self-destructive nature of what you said. The acquittals on criminal charges in the tainted blood case have no binding effect on civil cases...

Yes they do.

Are you telling me the aquitals are going to be responsible for paying millions of dollars in compensation to the tainted blood victims , in a civil case, if found guilty? Ha-ha-ha.

or did you not know that O.J. lost a wrongful death claim after being found not guilty?

Everyone knows Simpson's trial was the joke of the century.

i say lets become hippies... all who agree say 'I' :D

lets face it the world is full of people who want to kill people, ha! and death? if it come from behind let it first find me! all should be trained in the use of non-lethal defense. ignorance is a fact to volnrability... this has little to do with money, but philosophy and ideology: or are you all going materialist on me. are we qeustioning weather the gov. should take control... that makes everyone lazy, weak, and foolish. the wisdom of a self-protector and protecter of the weak should speak for itself. B)

if only the wings of such a nymph could encompass me... I'm not dark, i just prefer to stay in it, cowardly? perhaps, but we'll see who the winner is at a school shoot-out once the lights go out...

the finesse of survival should be quick and decisive, all it would take is enough fear, a clear target of vulnerability, and a pencil... if more then one? then still keep trying to the death! and that of the fight is a good way to die... trying to survive instead of cowering in fear.

Edited by DarkAngel_

if only the wings of such a nymph could encompass me... I'm not dark, i just prefer to stay in it, cowardly? perhaps, but we'll see who the winner is at a school shoot-out once the lights go out...

the finesse of survival should be quick and decisive, all it would take is enough fear, a clear target of vulnerability, and a pencil... if more then one? then still keep trying to the death! and that of the fight is a good way to die... trying to survive instead of cowering in fear.

LOL,

Your making it sound as if Canada is a place of lawlessness similar to Iraq or Afghanistan.

your advertisment of security is crude at best, if the battle rain at your hometown would you not take up arms? or wait for them in the shadows... being prepared is being strong.

This is where you are being irrational.

The level of arming oneself could make you a criminal.

I suggest you joining the military where no doubt you will feel comfortable.

I was known as a dead eye in the paper clip wars of 7th grade English class. I once shot the pencil right out of Martha Laird's hands while she was doing homework, and she was so impressed that she told her freinds she wanted to go steady with me. Unfortunately I didn't find out until she had lowered her sights and moved on to lesser skilled members of the militia. But I digress. I see that the campaigns of old have evolved into hot firefights and town invasions, presumably followed but rapine and slaughter. Zero tolerance seems to be working well.

Once, in grade 8, the eraser on my pencil suddenly dislodged, flew through the air and struck a classmate 2 rows up in the face. Thank goodness the eyes were spared. As it looked intentional to the teacher, I was suspended for a week. Henceforth, I wore camouflage clothing under my mandatory school uniform just in case a more brutish punishment was reserved for me. Should this have occurred, I could then peel off the uniform, run into the nearby woods and blend into the foilage while attempting to save myself. I was the true victim although it may not have appeared so to the casual observer.

You already admitted you spend three hours work per case, so add to that another 8-10= $1,000....not bad for 11-14 hours work.

This quote demonstrates your level of comprehension on this issue...nil.

I never said anything like that I spend three hours per case...I said any given day I put in three hours more work than virtually any Crown. That's three extra hours per day over my adversary...how did you read that as only three hours per case?

The police and Crown are part of the State. The State builds a case against and prosecutes my clients. I defend against that prosecution. In any given case, the State can and often does put hundreds of thousands of dollars of its resources into proving its case. In many cases, I have a few thousand at my disposal. If you really think Crown prosecutors go home because they have no more work they could do to better prepare their case (as opposed to they get paid the same whether they put in the extra work or not) then you are delerious.

Take a poll of victims (or witnesses) of crime and ask how many of them first speak to the Crown an hour before the trial. By contrast, check the logs at the Remand Centre and see how many of my clients are getting prepared for trial into the late hours of the night and weeks in advance. That's the difference in outcome, in my view...not any unfair lack of resources of the State.

I am in the middle of a sentence appeal right now...so I cannot discuss the details on this board at this time. What I can tell you is that the public transcripts of the sentencing hearing show that the Crown's argument to try to convince the judge to order a year and a half of jail took 3/4 of a page of transcript...with no case references and only one reference to sentencing principles from the Criminal Code. Contrast that to defence counsel's (not me another lawyer) 6 page argument with a number of references to both the Criminal Code and relevant case law. The result? A community-based conditional sentence...not jail. Is this because the State can't afford to make a better argument? Hardly.

As for my comment regarding income...I don't begrudge a first-class constable of what he or she makes...and I don't for a minute fail to appreciate the occupational hazards of the job which I do not have to deal with. That was not my point. My point is that when I am defending a case where three first-class constables, two detectives and a staff sergeant are building the case for the prosecutor (or sometimes two prosecutors), all of whom make as much as or more than me, I am simply not "raping the system" for extravagent personal wealth like you seem to think I am.

As for the comparison to the tainted blood acquittals...can you please show me how the acquittals on the criminal charges will bind a judge hearing a civil case (that is make it impossible for the civil judge to award damages by requiring that civil judge to adopt the decision of the criminal judge)?

FTA

Once, in grade 8, the eraser on my pencil suddenly dislodged, flew through the air and struck a classmate 2 rows up in the face. Thank goodness the eyes were spared. As it looked intentional to the teacher, I was suspended for a week. Henceforth, I wore camouflage clothing under my mandatory school uniform just in case a more brutish punishment was reserved for me. Should this have occurred, I could then peel off the uniform, run into the nearby woods and blend into the foilage while attempting to save myself. I was the true victim although it may not have appeared so to the casual observer.

Speaking of looking intentional and suspensions, I won the silver star in English class for bravely throwing myself in front of a comrade in arms...

*scene shimmers and fades out to a 7th grade class many years ago in AHS, Mexico City*

...the tables are arranged in a circle in keeping with the more inclusive style of early 70s class organization, coincidently giving each member of the class a clean shot at every other student. Books are set up on every desk as shields, pockmarked with evidence of past firefights, and the constant quiet whistle of flying paperclips and the thwump of spitball mortars fills the air, punctuated by an occasional loud thwaaaack as a paperclip imbeds in a shield across the room, giving the scene an eeriness made even stranger by the fact that a great fat substitutte teacher strides through the middle of the warzone reading obliviously to the class. Imelda, a really hot babe who doesn't speak much English, but whose eyes do the talking for her, glances at me in a way I hope is lovingly, and draws back her rubber band, jokingly aiming it at the substitute teacher's giant targ. I start to smile, she starts to smile, her fingers slip, a thunderclap of steel impacting lard roars through the class, the teacher leaps in the air, Imelda bursts into tears, I burst into laughter, and away I go to the office and thence home, knowing I bravely threw myself in front of Imelda's sexy eyes.

ur all so deluded... and comical which i like, all good wazr stories my middle-school grade vetrens! lol

but lets be honest, school shootouts happen, as well as mugging, beatings, being jumped, burglurized...

but its ok, if u wish to 'turn to the cops' once the blade is at your back? im sure ull recover... ON YOUR FACE!

im not saying being over armed, never said it in the fist place, just fight to the end once the fight comes to you... that is all.

(and if it happens to be that they don't know ur there and u have a pointy object, koduos to you!)

"in dubium vocare procul dubio,appello:"umbrae Aggelos" noctu? damnari inter sicarios!"

LOL ignorance is death dear freinds! :lol:

ur all so deluded... and comical which i like, all good wazr stories my middle-school grade vetrens! lol

but lets be honest, school shootouts happen, as well as mugging, beatings, being jumped, burglurized...

but its ok, if u wish to 'turn to the cops' once the blade is at your back? im sure ull recover... ON YOUR FACE!

im not saying being over armed, never said it in the fist place, just fight to the end once the fight comes to you... that is all.

(and if it happens to be that they don't know ur there and u have a pointy object, koduos to you!)

"in dubium vocare procul dubio,appello:"umbrae Aggelos" noctu? damnari inter sicarios!"

LOL ignorance is death dear freinds! :lol:

And correct spelling shows a lack of ignorance. We are not texting each other here.

And correct spelling shows a lack of ignorance. We are not texting each other here.

how crued... a useless way to spend a byte or 2... too bad, you could have shot me down some other way... i use short cuts and spell check and you mock that? pathetic, use your sense and dont waste my time writing how much of a waste of time your reply is.

i could have used this time to say: i like blue.

or: pizza pie is insulting

but you mocked my spelling...

back on subject: those who are not ready or prepaired for possible confruntation are weak

see? good wast of time. ;)

how crued... a useless way to spend a byte or 2...

I suppose I could have shot your message down , but my point in fact does that. Spell correctly and one can then read the post.

When one has to stop and try to figure out what the spelling indicates , then the message is lost .

Like this one...."crued" ...are you saying "cruet" ? as in small bottles for oil etc, or "crude"? (yes I know that ones easy but still ...)

what the spelling indicates , then the message is lost .

Like this one...."crued" ...are you saying "cruet" ? as in small bottles for oil etc, or "crude"? (yes I know that ones easy but still ...)

I read it as cruel......

i understand, ill repair that error on my spell check, I'm not a good speller.

"errare humanum est" am i right? lol

back onto point fellow thinkers: how are these stereotypes made? the one with guns and drench coats and killing... i mean I'm into brutality and metal but not the killing of innicence... even if not innocent: its a form of political vigilante, that of which trys to make a statement, or is just rage toward a system or body of structure of which one does not fit in... i think maybe for attention?

what say you???

how crued... a useless way to spend a byte or 2... too bad, you could have shot me down some other way... i use short cuts and spell check and you mock that? pathetic, use your sense and dont waste my time writing how much of a waste of time your reply is.

i could have used this time to say: i like blue.

or: pizza pie is insulting

but you mocked my spelling...

back on subject: those who are not ready or prepaired for possible confruntation are weak

see? good wast of time. ;)

May I suggest something? When two people meet on the street, they see each other, take each other's measure, and commence a conversation on the basis of a host of olfactory and visual information mutually obtained by physical proximity. On the internet there is no such opportunity. Your words are you. If they are sloppy and unkempt they devalue your opinion to the same extent that showing up on the street half dressed and stinking of sweat and beer would devalue an opinion expressed to someone else in the physical universe. If you don't even take the time to capitalize your sentences and, if you're not a good speller, run a quick spellcheck on words you're not sure about, that is reflective of the image you portray on the web. If people point and laugh it's not because they're cruel, but because you're unshaven and your socks don't match.

Pardon my ignorance of subcultures, but that sounds a bit creepy. How can anyone be into brutality?? That sounds like pretty anti-social behavoir? A little clarification maybe?

HARD ROCK/DEATH METAL/BLACK METAL/PUNK METAL/HEAVY METAL

I'm into all, as well as:

brutal honesty

brutal honor-ism

brutal heroics

brutal romance

the art of brutality is romantic, and birthed from Scandinavia, Caledonia, and Rhineland. its the way of a warrior to a point. unless it goes beyond that great line called barbarism, that of which those whom often listen to the same stuff turn too... then kill people, or plan to at least.

If people point and laugh it's not because they're cruel, but because you're unshaven and your socks don't match.

HA! and yet the dirty man would laugh at your matching socks and moral degradation, i know words, not how there spelt, you know how to spell them, and you know not the words i speak.

the breadwinner must give to the needy, hence he become a bread giver, that is morally correct! on a rich mans opinion maybe not... but for that shame, to deny the needy is to forget such regret, hence you house worms then you become the bum!! a bum of moral and financial deny-ability! hahahaha, this thing you say, through relativity is not so, we are in different circumstances, on the street i look like a hippie, a mafia thug, or a troubled artist... ill even sent u a picture lol. look at Einstein, he was no "breadwinner."

suck up your clichéish impertanance... you suggest i appear what i am not, honestly... i can not spell... or lie.