An inside look at Harper and his strategy

jennie

I am not a politico, but to me this seems like a curious strategy to release this at this time.

An inside look at Harper and his strategy

Barbara Yaffe, The Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, September 15, 2007

A word of warning to federal Liberals: The Harper Conservatives now possess a slick campaign capability that rivals former Ontario premier Bill Davis' once-invincible Big Blue Machine.

The revelation comes by way of a new book, penned by a key player in Harper's rise to power, Calgary political scientist and author Tom Flanagan.

The U.S.-born Flanagan was among a handful of insiders who learned alongside Harper himself the precise combination of careful strategy, alchemy and pixie dust required to win campaigns. He calls the process "domesticated civil war."

His book reviews five years, from the autumn of 2001, as the Harperites fought two leadership races, in 2002 (Canadian Alliance leadership) and 2004 (Conservative party leadership), and two federal elections, in 2004 and 2006.

Through most of that period Flanagan was Harper's chief campaign organizer.

In Harper's Team: Behind the Scenes in the Conservative Rise to Power, he analyses how he, Harper and a small group -- almost entirely male, from Alberta, B.C. and Ontario -- laid the groundwork for the Conservative brand to replace the Liberals as Canada's natural governing party.

The account reveals how incredibly complex is the effort to coax voters to make an X in the right box in that ballot booth, and gives fresh insight into why Harper has become such a controlling, media averse politician. It also explains the relationship the PM currently has with certain political players.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/ed...c2-d75abdcf88f2

Flanagan says the key to keeping power lies in Harper exercising policy moderation -- "Canada is not yet a conservative or Conservative country" -- wooing both Quebecers and ethnic communities away from the Liberals and keeping a pan-Canadian alliance of right-leaners united.
Nothing radically new here. That's what Mulroney did once before, and did it arguably better than Harper. And Mulroney actually got some major reforms through the system.

In Harper's Team: Behind the Scenes in the Conservative Rise to Power, he analyses how he, Harper and a small group -- almost entirely male, from Alberta, B.C. and Ontario -- laid the groundwork for the Conservative brand to replace the Liberals as Canada's natural governing party.
Need every political assemblage be a motley, multicultural group including transgendered Ukrainian Lesbians to pass muster?

Oh my glorious point was missed again!!!

jbg ... there were no women in that group, and you dismiss any need for change to the makeup.

So my suggestion to you was ... no women allowed ... makes a boy lonely.

Dis the women, you are the lonely number. ;)

I guess it was too subtle when you were busy dis'ing everyone, to point out that more than half the population is not represented.

jbg ... there were no women in that group, and you dismiss any need for change to the makeup.

I guess it was too subtle when you were busy dis'ing everyone, to point out that more than half the population is not represented.

It actually states there were women in that group. That could be why your glorious point was missed. Maybe only a few women, but that's not surprising as politics doesn't attract many women in the first place.

So what? Frenchmen, Chinamen and one legged veterans are also "not represented." As are Mullahs, Preists, homosexual activists and kumquats. Things need not be run by a polyglot freakshow in order to gain legitimacy. I'll try to join NOW, and let's see how far I get in trying to represent men.

So what? Frenchmen, Chinamen and one legged veterans are also "not represented." As are Mullahs, Preists, homosexual activists and kumquats. Things need not be run by a polyglot freakshow in order to gain legitimacy. I'll try to join NOW, and let's see how far I get in trying to represent men.

Ah again you miss my point ...

You are free to offend the female half of the population if you wish ... so long as you never have any desire for female company.

Who's fault is that, or would you like some affirmative action - I'm a woman and I don't want that. Women have to step up to the plate and - well - act more like men... that'll do it every time.