"Miss Hairyarmpitsbad", "Miss Slackistan", or Why

jbg

It seems that authorities felt compelled to reign in a harmless, hilarious prank, for fear of consequences. I suppose that beheading is just fine, a harmless joke isn't.

Excerpts of Daily Mail article (link to article) below:

How Miss Slackistan and the Burka Beauties fell foul of the racism zealots

By LUKE SALKELD - More by this author »

Last updated at 21:30pm on 22nd August 2007

Comments (28)

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Stuck for inspiration about what to wear at their village carnival, one group made a last-minute decision to dress up in mock Muslim burkas.

Calling themselves the "Page Three Beauties from the Ramalama Ding-Dong Times", the 17 men and women carried placards with made-up names such as "Miss Hairyarmpitsbad", "Miss Slackistan", "Miss Notbadinbedabad" and "Miss Reallyamanistan".

*snip*

As they walked the one-mile parade route, the group knelt down in mock prayer and used fake compasses to try to find Mecca.

Their routine impressed carnival judges - a mayor, two district councillors and a parish councillor - and they were shortlisted for the "best entry" prize.

But before any awards were handed out, police told the group to leave after complaints about racism.

But she added: "We were made aware their act could have been taken as offensive in certain parts of the community and therefore, given my responsibility, I felt the cup should be given to another group."

Edited by jbg

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Stuck for inspiration about what to wear at their village carnival, one group made a last-minute decision to dress up in mock Muslim burkas.

The test is, if they had chosen to dress up as nuns, or rabbis, or Buddhist monks would there have been "complaints about racism" and would they have been asked to leave?

Where I live a couple of morning men on the radio were seen advertising their program on posters as nuns with the caption, "nun funnier". No complaints that I am aware of. But suppose they had worn burkhas instead. Would the local imam have kicked up a fuss?

It seems that authorities felt compelled to reign in a harmless, hilarious prank, for fear of consequences. I suppose that beheading is just fine, a harmless joke isn't.

Would it have been just as funny if they dressed as ghetto jews and chased a penny?

Ok - that's not a harmelss pank. That's not even a risque joke. That, instead, is objectively abhorent bahavior. I cannot conceive that it should be criminal - but it certainly should be looked down upon as the worst of bigotted caricaturizing.

Edited by Sulaco

Where I live a couple of morning men on the radio were seen advertising their program on posters as nuns with the caption, "nun funnier". No complaints that I am aware of. But suppose they had worn burkhas instead. Would the local imam have kicked up a fuss?
Remember cartoon jihad?

But the Jews (link) aren't always so tolerant.

Try walking around downtown New York dressed up in an outfit that makes fun of Jews, JBG, and report back. We're all dying to hear what happens.
Unless it was the Chasidic part of Brooklyn (or Montreal) I doubt they'd get hurt. Even in the Chasidic area I doubt anyone would get killed.

Try walking around in a costume of Mohamed's head made into a bomb in Saudi Arabia.

Unless it was the Chasidic part of Brooklyn (or Montreal) I doubt they'd get hurt. Even in the Chasidic area I doubt anyone would get killed.

Try walking around in a costume of Mohamed's head made into a bomb in Saudi Arabia.

Okay, try walking around Forest Hill (as a comely woman) wearing a diaphanous blouse and an ultra short skirt....

Dave Chapelle is a white guy in burnt cork? :blink:

Oh.....I thought yoiu were refering to minstrel shows.....not just Al Jolson.

Point in fact, many minstrel shows had black players...and they put on Black Face as well.

Just as Chappelle strereotypes blacks today.......

Yes, and Carlos Mencina parodies Latinos.

And you're just playing dumb, right? You can tell the difference between politically incorrect humour and racist garbage.

When either are funny, no. And when neither are funny, no.

But you are just playing, right? Because I don't think anyone can honestly say they have never heard even one racist/sexist/whatever joke that didn't make them laugh.......

To be honest, most of Chappelle's and Mencina's schtick leaves me cold. I don't think either are particulary funny or witty. I think Chappelle's best work was with Mel Brooks (no stranger to getting a laugh with a stereotype) in Robin Hood, Men in Tights.

I'm reminded of an episode of "The Office" where Steve Carrell's ridiculous parodic character needs to have it explained to him why the black employees (and the white ones for that matter) don't appreciate his launching into a Chris Rock monologue. Of course, the lesson doesn't take and the episode ends with Carrell getting swatted across the face by a female Indian employee while he's doing his Apu voice at her.

Of course we know that character is just a grotesque parody. Nobody is that grossly insensitive in the real world, right? Normal people can tell the difference between an honest joke and a deliberately mean-spirited attack or an ignorance-fueled failure to consider the feelings of someone else?

Edited by CLRV

Normal people can tell the difference between an honest joke and a deliberately mean-spirited attack or an ignorance-fueled failure to consider the feelings of someone else?

No, i don't think so. Humour is subjective. A while back Rowan Atkinson sopke before a British Parliamentary committee against the outlawing of religious humour. One of the examples was from a parody news show that showed a very large group of Muslims standing, then kneeling in prayer.

The voice over said they were looking for the Ayatollah's contact lens.

Christ was hanging form the cross, near death and he spoke in a weak voice, "Peter, Peter"

Peter heard his Master but was afraid and hung back on the edge of the crowd.

Christ called out again "Peter, Peter come...."

Peter, overcome with shame struggles to get near his crucified lord "Master" he calls....

Christ looks down and sees his disciple at the foot of the cross....

"Peter, I can see your house from here...."

---------------

The Pope is on a transcontinental airflight and to pass the time he does a crossword puzzle. He is sitting beside the cardinal and he turns to him, "I need help. I have most of the answers, but there is one that may be wrong."

Of course Father, what is the clue?

"4 letters, describes a woman" says the holy father.

"Hmmmm, that is difficult" says the cardinal, "are there any letters?"

The Pope says "Okay for sure blank, u, n, t.

"Oh, of course that is easy", says the cardinal "Aunt"

"Fuck" says the pope, can I borrow an eraser?

The Pope is on a transcontinental airflight and to pass the time he does a crossword puzzle. He is sitting beside the cardinal and he turns to him, "I need help. I have most of the answers, but there is one that may be wrong."

Of course Father, what is the clue?

"4 letters, describes a woman" says the holy father.

"Hmmmm, that is difficult" says the cardinal, "are there any letters?"

The Pope says "Okay for sure blank, u, n, t.

"Oh, of course that is easy", says the cardinal "Aunt"

"Fuck" says the pope, can I borrow an eraser?

AHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

We can debate the intricacies of race-fueled comedy until the end of time, but it isn't really applicable in this case. (I'd hope) that anyone with common sense can see this obviously crosses a line.

What if a bunch of people dressed up as catholic priests and pretended to rape little boys? You think they'd just let that pass?

What if a bunch of people dressed up as catholic priests and pretended to rape little boys? You think they'd just let that pass?

That sounds like a sketch from Codco.....no rape wouldn't be funny......

=========

The father had been sitting in the confessional for 4 hours and he really needed a bathroom break. Luckily Mr Patrick O'Dowd the Verger was on hand....Father McCready says to him, "Listen Paddy, I need a few minutes so I hope you don't mind just sit here and listen to the confession and every now and then say "Yes" or "Oh My" and at the end, tell them to say so many Hail Marys depending on the seriousness of their sin."

Mr. O"Dowd takes his seat and this young woman comes in to the confessional and says....

Bless me Father for I have sinned, It has been 2 weeks since My last confession and since then I have let a man touch my breasts and bottom"

"yes" says the Verger, getting interested in this case....

"I have also touched a man's private part...."

"Oh My" Says Paddy

....and I have gratified the man with my mouth and lips"

She stopped....

"Is there anything else?" he asked...

"No father, what is my pennace?"

Mr O'Dowd was at a loss, hopefully the Father would be back so he waited a moment then the young lady coughed politely....Mr O'Dowd sticks his head out of the conffessional looking for Father McCready but instead sees one of the alter boys...

"Pssst" he says calling the boy over,..."Would you be knowing what the good Father gives for a blow-job?"

The Alter boy says to him, "Two bottles of Coke and a Mars bar"

Okay, try walking around Forest Hill (as a comely woman) wearing a diaphanous blouse and an ultra short skirt....
All kidding aside, what would happen? If you have to, PM me the answer.