Where did this come from?

betsy

Yesterday, I checked out a box of Kraft Dinner trying to find out where it came from.

All the box says was: Under license by Kraft Canada Inc., Don Mills, Ontario.

Should I correctly assume that it means Kraft Dinner is made in Canada?

Some other products by other companies would say: Prepared for AAA Company, Lilyput Quebec.

Prepared by whom?

Do you think specific information should be given? I think so. If there is a regulation that all ingredients used should be printed on the box along with the accurate easy-to-read nutritional information....then the place where the product was made should also be stated. The consumers want to be fully infromed so as they can make their own choice.

Of course, the product may have been made in Canada....but what about the macaroni that they used, or the cheese powder, the salt, other spices? Should all these information be included as well - all the places involved for all ingredients that made up the product?

Yesterday, I checked out a box of Kraft Dinner trying to find out where it came from.

Some other products by other companies would say: Prepared for AAA Company, Lilyput Quebec.

Prepared by whom?

Do you think specific information should be given? I think so. If there is a regulation that all ingredients used should be printed on the box along with the accurate easy-to-read nutritional information....then the place where the product was made should also be stated. The consumers want to be fully infromed so as they can make their own choice.

Of course, the product may have been made in Canada....but what about the macaroni that they used, or the cheese powder, the salt, other spices? Should all these information be included as well - all the places involved for all ingredients that made up the product?

Well I don't use such items, make all my stuff from scratch but I do agree with you. We should know where all the products we eat come from. The only things I might eat are some fruits not grown in Canada or the US and that is only occasionally

Apparently if a product is 30% Canadian content or production it can be labelled a product of Canada (I think 30%; I saw it on CBC or CTV). The material can come from overseas and processed or packaged here or the material can come from Canada and processed and/or packaged elsewhere; it just needs the 30%. I, too, would like to know where the raw materials, processing and packaging come from.

This weekend, while shopping, I came across actual "Made in Canada" clothing. Not product of, not imported for ... it's been awhile since I've seen that. Needless to say I bought it.

Guest American Woman
This weekend, while shopping, I came across actual "Made in Canada" clothing. Not product of, not imported for ... it's been awhile since I've seen that. Needless to say I bought it.

I see a fair amount of "made in Canada" clothing here along with a lot of other products, so that's kind of weird. You maybe export more than you keep at home. Even most of my flowers/trees/shrubs were "grown in Canada." And my picket fence, which I just had put up, was also made in Canada.

I see a fair amount of "made in Canada" clothing here along with a lot of other products, so that's kind of weird. You maybe export more than you keep at home. Even most of my flowers/trees/shrubs were "grown in Canada." And my picket fence, which I just had put up, was also made in Canada.

I find Made in Canada clothes in the high end range without problem. It is those little t-shirts and yoga pants, etc. that usually have a made in someotherwhere sticker on them. Sneakers, sandals, that sort of thing.

But hey, if I am in the market for a new picket fence it's good to know that I can get a home grown one instead of one that the raw trees from Canada were shipped overseas to another country to make into pickets and send back for me to pay double the price. :)

Edited by Fortunata

We exported a whole picket fence? Like, in one piece? :blink:

I agree with Betsy again, which seldom happens and is always a little unsettling for me.

In the other thread about Wal-Mart, supporters and apologists of cheap Chinese garbage were touting ideas like "Buyer beware!" and "If you don't like it, don't buy it!"

Very well, but to have that choice, the consumer must be provided with accurate information.

-k

Guest American Woman
We exported a whole picket fence? Like, in one piece? :blink:

Fences go up in panels, with posts inbetween, so no ... it wasn't in one piece. :P The panels were shipped in one carton, the posts in another, and the hardware in yet another.

But hey, if I am in the market for a new picket fence it's good to know that I can get a home grown one instead of one that the raw trees from Canada were shipped overseas to another country to make into pickets and send back for me to pay double the price. :)

I should point out here that it's a vinyl fence. We had a wood picket fence at my home when I was a child, and I know how much maintenance they take, so I'm taking the easy way out.

I find Made in Canada clothes in the high end range without problem. It is those little t-shirts and yoga pants, etc. that usually have a made in someotherwhere sticker on them. Sneakers, sandals, that sort of thing.

I've never run across the things you mention, either; as you say, most of those items are made elsewhere. I have noticed a lot more "made in Canada" items here in the past two or three years, though; and it was cheaper to get my fence from Canada, which of course included freight, than it was to buy it here.

And yes, CLRV, it is a beaut, admired by all. After all, it was made in Canada. :)

Well I don't use such items, make all my stuff from scratch but I do agree with you. We should know where all the products we eat come from. The only things I might eat are some fruits not grown in Canada or the US and that is only occasionally

I think we should be wary of this "There ought to be a law" mentality. Those that are really concerned about where their food comes from can look into it. And if people really cared that much about that information, the companies would be informed about it and the market would respond accordingly. Obviously it isn't that big of a deal if people continue to buy the product. I find it interesting how Margrace doesn't even use said products, yet she feels she can dictate to others what their food should be like.

This topic seways perfectly into the Jellybeans.....Dion is afraid that standardized labels will reduce our soverreinty....

TORONTO, MONTEBELLO, QUE. — David Ganong should be sitting in the sweet spot of continental trade. Each year, he ships millions of tiny jellybeans to the United States from his factory strategically situated in the border town of St. Stephen, N.B.

Those U.S.-bound beans are exactly the same as the ones he sells in Canada, which should, theoretically, allow him to reap the rewards of a unified North American market.

But Mr. Ganong says he is undermined by packaging requirements that are different in each country. The killer is nutritional labelling, which varies in such things as the width of the wording (Canada requires a narrower panel), mandatory layout on a package and even the assumption of serving sizes

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/National

This topic seways perfectly into the Jellybeans.....Dion is afraid that standardized labels will reduce our soverreinty....

If standardized labeling means that Canada can no longer use metric measurements, it would reduce our sovereignty. Or is this not what you meant?

As far as opposition to a formula for making labels acceptable for Canada and the U.S., I have never heard Dion or any Liberal opposed. However, does working together mean we drop our rules and adopt theirs every time?

If standardized labeling means that Canada can no longer use metric measurements, it would reduce our sovereignty. Or is this not what you meant?

As far as opposition to a formula for making labels acceptable for Canada and the U.S., I have never heard Dion or any Liberal opposed. However, does working together mean we drop our rules and adopt theirs every time?

There is no suggestion that the metric system would be dropped as metric is perfectly legal in the US.

However, does working together mean we drop our rules and adopt theirs every time?

Who has the bigger market? As a business man, I would want to appeal to the largest market possible....does being Canadians mean I have to handcuff myself to the bureacratic knobs who have zero knowledge of sales, marketing or buisiness in general?

There is no suggestion that the metric system would be dropped as metric is perfectly legal in the US.

Who has the bigger market? As a business man, I would want to appeal to the largest market possible....does being Canadians mean I have to handcuff myself to the bureacratic knobs who have zero knowledge of sales, marketing or buisiness in general?

There'd probably be no problem on metric as you say but many say Canada's nutrition labels are superior because they were introduced later and used better food science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition_facts_label

Harmonization shouldn't mean adopting U.S. regulations part and parcel. They have been slow to adopt things like running lights on cars, the rod through side doors, the third brake light and a whole host of other safety features.

Harmonization should mean the best rules available applied to a whole range of products.

Harmonization shouldn't mean adopting U.S. regulations part and parcel. They have been slow to adopt things like running lights on cars, the rod through side doors, the third brake light and a whole host of other safety features.

Harmonization should mean the best rules available applied to a whole range of products.

I have to agree. This is something though which should have been considered during the FT discussions and it's long overdue.

And if people really cared that much about that information, the companies would be informed about it and the market would respond accordingly.

Actually ClearWest, that statement is not entirely accurate. There are numerous examples in existence already of products that do not have to have ingredients or contents listed fully. The public has stated a desire for the ingredients of these products to be disclosed fully for quite some time now, to no avail. One example would be the ever unpopular cigarette. Companies are not compelled to publicly disclose the contents of cigarettes by law. The reason being trade secrets, if you look into the WHMIS system you'll find quite a few products that are covered by this act.

Do people actually have time to research every product they use, every medical complaint they may have as has been suggested by doctors themselves, etc. - to research every little thing in every little facet of life? When do we get to trust anyone making or doing anything to be upfront, honest and principled? False and misleading advertising is the name of the game, is allowed by governments, get people to buy the product which, since governments let it be sold, we trust its safety and whammo, not safe, not healthy, not labelled, carcinogens and other substances omitted from the labels, and that's ok? And we should do research on each and every thing? It's all the consumer's fault? /rant off

Ok, that being said, I buy no foodstuffs from countries that I don't know and can't find out satisfactorily the level of their safety standards. It appears that we should only buy blankets, baby clothes etc. from countries that don't allow formaldehyde to be used (more research), that's if you can even find the information. Which companies/manufacturers/producers can you trust to put the consumer before the profit?

Prepared by whom?

I totally agree. Listing the ingredients/place of manufacture should be standard (if not already).

Actually ClearWest, that statement is not entirely accurate. There are numerous examples in existence already of products that do not have to have ingredients or contents listed fully. The public has stated a desire for the ingredients of these products to be disclosed fully for quite some time now, to no avail. One example would be the ever unpopular cigarette. Companies are not compelled to publicly disclose the contents of cigarettes by law. The reason being trade secrets, if you look into the WHMIS system you'll find quite a few products that are covered by this act.

And I agree that no one should be compelled to divulge personal information. However, a business would have to weigh the secrecy versus the demand of the consumer to know product details and decide what is best for business. In cases where consumers continue to buy a product without having the details in front of them, they obviously aren't that concerned - why should a gov't dictate what's best for the people? This is a relatively small issue, but still, I'd rather not have big brother watching out for me. They get into that attitude and it's hard to stop them.

In cases where consumers continue to buy a product without having the details in front of them, they obviously aren't that concerned -

Or they hardly have any choice.

why should a gov't dictate what's best for the people? This is a relatively small issue, but still, I'd rather not have big brother watching out for me. They get into that attitude and it's hard to stop them.

This is not dictating what is best for us. This is providing all the necessary information on which to base our choices.

Who would have thought melamine is used in dog food! And if it's used in dog food, is it possible that it's also being used in some other products meant for people?

I'm not too concerned about the minute details as to the amount of each and every ingredients (at least the current nutritional information labels seem to be sufficient)....but I do want to know all the the stuff that's in the food....and all the countries that are involved in its production. That shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by betsy