GOD MADE MARRIAGE

fcgv

I am not trying to persuade you at all. You are incorrect in your exegesis. The Bible is NOT the Word of God, Jesus is the Word(logos)

What then is the bible, in your rubric, and how does this make it amenable to being misrepresented as you did?

The bible s the written part of tradition, and is the book(s) of the Church. ...

You are evading a question. You call the Bible "the written part of tradition" and the "books of the Church". Okay, fine -- whatever these phrases may mean, how is it that you justify your misrepresentation of the quoted passages of Genesis?

I am not trying to persuade you at all. You are incorrect in your exegesis. The Bible is NOT the Word of God, Jesus is the Word(logos)

What then is the bible, in your rubric, and how does this make it amenable to being misrepresented as you did?

The bible s the written part of tradition, and is the book(s) of the Church. ...

You are evading a question. You call the Bible "the written part of tradition" and the "books of the Church". Okay, fine -- whatever these phrases may mean, how is it that you justify your misrepresentation of the quoted passages of Genesis?

They were not misrepresented. How many more times must I write this before you actually read it? Can I be blunt? I very much doubt your expertise in this area is equal to mine. Trust me.

They were not misrepresented. How many more times must I write this before you actually read it? Can I be blunt? I very much doubt your expertise in this area is equal to mine. Trust me.

You're obviously very self-satisfied about your expertise. No doubt it will help you answer this challenge intelligibly ... You stated that God made marriage when he made Adam and Eve, and you cited certain passages of Genesis in support of that contention. But on examination, marriage is neither mentioned nor implied in those passages. Were you simply mistaken, or did you misrepresent them deliberately?

[quote name='fcgv' post='224847'

You're obviously very self-satisfied about your expertise. No doubt it will help you answer this challenge intelligibly ... You stated that God made marriage when he made Adam and Eve, and you cited certain passages of Genesis in support of that contention. But on examination, marriage is neither mentioned nor implied in those passages. Were you simply mistaken, or did you misrepresent them deliberately?

I think I have already written this a number of times. Marriage, unity, is very much implied. Adam and Eve are not, you know, actual people. They represent the first peoples. God intended for us to be one, male and female, from the beginning, which both underscores and illustrates marriage. The Scriptures cannot be taken piece by piece, but within the context of the whole.

And yes, I'm fairly certain I know my subject, since it involves what I do, as it were.

You know, you are being somewhat obtuse. You keep repeating the same question, and I keep answering it. And here you go asking once again!

You have not answered it. Your pretense that you have answered is rather pathetic.

I suggest the issue is that you might consider improving your reading comprehension skills.

I think I have already written this a number of times. Marriage, unity, is very much implied.

Unity may be implied, but there was no implication of marriage in the relevant passages.

Adam and Eve are not, you know, actual people. They represent the first peoples. God intended for us to be one, male and female, from the beginning, which both underscores and illustrates marriage.

There is a seeming contradiction in your position. On the one hand, you cite the Bible in support of your positions about what God wants, but on the other hand you say that assertions made in the Bible are not true.

The Scriptures cannot be taken piece by piece, but within the context of the whole.

Yet, as noted above, you don't adhere to this dictum.

You have not answered it. Your pretense that you have answered is rather pathetic.

I suggest the issue is that you might consider improving your reading comprehension skills.

You finally made a responsive answer in post #29, and then a non-responsive answer in post #30. I didn't notice #29 until later. See my reply above.

I think I have already written this a number of times. Marriage, unity, is very much implied. Adam and Eve are not, you know, actual people. They represent the first peoples. God intended for us to be one, male and female, from the beginning, which both underscores and illustrates marriage. The Scriptures cannot be taken piece by piece, but within the context of the whole.

And how do you reconicile all of the evidence of marriage existing and long predating your Scriptures?

How did all those people get married a 1000 years before God announced this invention of marriage?

You gave us sections of the Bible to prove your point that God invented marriage, but then go on to say that the Bible is not the word of God. If the Bible is not the word of God -- according to your claim -- then it is not an authoritative source in this or any argument that touches upon religion. Essentially, you made a claim then discredited the only source you cited.

I think I have already written this a number of times. Marriage, unity, is very much implied. Adam and Eve are not, you know, actual people. They represent the first peoples...

If they were not real, then they and their story were created by a human author. Therefore, the intent of God cannot be gleaned from the Eden story, since you are really only getting the agenda of their creator (deliberately small "c").

I'm trying to understand what you're saying here. You cite the Bible but then go on to say that it is not the word of God, therefore, not authoritative. You claim God's intent can be found in the story of Adam and Eve, but then say that they didn't really exist. So what it comes down to is that you are basing your position on marriage based on what you interpret as the implied intent of God as framed by the (possibly wrong and possible misinterpreted?) writings of a human author from several thousand years ago. Am I correct?

Marriage means different things to different people; it is not the province solely of those who believe in one god, 20 gods or no god.

What is the big deal if two people of the same sex wish to marry, or two people of opposite sex wish to marry and not have children, or two people do not wish to marry and have 10 kids? Why does it matter to you, fcgv, what someone else does?

I do not subscribe to the notion of god, or to any notion of an entity that created the entirety of existence, so your entire first post was just so much blah blah. But somehow those who do subscribe to it have decided that their view is the one that must govern for all. I'd like to know how to get you off my back (as it were.)

Marriage means different things to different people; it is not the province solely of those who believe in one god, 20 gods or no god.

What is the big deal if two people of the same sex wish to marry, or two people of opposite sex wish to marry and not have children, or two people do not wish to marry and have 10 kids? Why does it matter to you, fcgv, what someone else does?

I do not subscribe to the notion of god, or to any notion of an entity that created the entirety of existence, so your entire first post was just so much blah blah. But somehow those who do subscribe to it have decided that their view is the one that must govern for all. I'd like to know how to get you off my back (as it were.)

Does it matter to you if siblings are allowed to marry each other? Does it matter to you if polygamy is allowed?

Does it matter to you if siblings are allowed to marry each other? Does it matter to you if polygamy is allowed?

Polygamy doesn't matter to me. Siblings shouldn't marry. Hell, from what I've seen, they shouldn't even go into business together.

Given that there is evidence that sibling marriage and polygamous marriage have been permitted for thousands of years in various places around the globe, and it is only relatively recently that we have banned such practices, how does this evidence support the fundamental tenet of this thread discussion: that God created marriage?

If God created marriage, why have humans banned sibling marriage and polygamous marriages? Did God change his/her mind?

Did God make these laws only for Catholics?

No, all human beings have to obey these laws.

Of all the nonsense in the opening post, this takes the cake. If you want to subject yourself to laws made by (people who claim to know the will of) the magic sky pixie, feel free. But don't expect everyone else to subject themselves to them. And don't bother with the smug, self satisfied answer of, "It doesn't matter if you don't believe it, it still applies to you". Save the patronizing attitude for the congregation.

Given that there is evidence that sibling marriage and polygamous marriage have been permitted for thousands of years in various places around the globe, and it is only relatively recently that we have banned such practices, how does this evidence support the fundamental tenet of this thread discussion: that God created marriage?

If God created marriage, why have humans banned sibling marriage and polygamous marriages? Did God change his/her mind?

I don't and never have argued against homosexual marriage by appealing to religion. How's your reading of Marx coming along?

I have a question and I wonder if anyone CAN answer this? We are told that God talked to different people and this is were we get the Bible from. Now, my question is why hasn't God TALKED to anyone since the last version of the Bible was written?? How many years have gone by since?

I have a question and I wonder if anyone CAN answer this? We are told that God talked to different people and this is were we get the Bible from. Now, my question is why hasn't God TALKED to anyone since the last version of the Bible was written?? How many years have gone by since?

Bible editions get churned out frequently. If that's your criteria by which to judge the existence of God, He spoke last Tuesday, so you'd best get to church right quick.

I don't and never have argued against homosexual marriage by appealing to religion.

From the OP...

GOD MADE MARRIAGE

That's the topic of this thread discussion.

Please feel free to point out where I have referenced "homosexual marriage" here in this thread.

My argument is entirely with the context of your reference to sibling marrige and polygamy and how that provides counter-evidence of the 'God invented Marriage' argument.

How's your reading of Marx coming along?

MA in Political Philosophy, Combined Honours BA in Political Theory and Philosophy, both from top 5 ranked universities here in Canada. Dean's Honours List and Canada Scholar too. Suffice it to say, you can be sure I've read/studied Marx extensively (amongst most other major political theorists).

Indeed, I've studied enough Marx to know that internet discussion forums are filled with those who haven't.

According to the Muslim tradition, God spoke to Mohammad about 1350 years ago.

Yeah, huntergatherers who predate religion didnt have marriage.....

every society in the world did not have marriage......

So your assertion is that before the jews invented god about 3,000 years ago or whatever people were not marrying?

Thats just foolish, before the Jews wrote down this stuff people were marrying.

Read some ethnographic stuff about hunter-gathers, they invented marriage, the farmers and herders just adopted it for their society (which is why controling womens reproduction became so important).

The ONLY way you could work this is by saying

man created god

and man told god to say we should restrict what women can do so we can pass on our $ to our male sons, but we still get to mess around because we have the power.

Anyone who thinks god created marrige, do some research into hunter-gatherers.....