Stay-at-home Mom's Salary

Anyone see this? WHAT IS A MOM WORTH?

Salary.com,Inc., the compensation experts, announced today the 2006 update to their valuation of a Stay at Home Mom's job and for the first time addressed the question of what a Working Mom's job is worth. Salary.com consulted with Stay at Home and Working Moms and determined the top 10 jobs that make up a mom's job description. If paid, Stay at Home Moms would earn $134,121 annually (up from 2005's salary of $131,471). Working Moms would earn $85,876 annually for the "mom job" portion of their work, in addition to their actual "work job" salary.

It seems to me a huge stretch to assign the equivlent work of a stay-at-home mom to that of psychologist among other positions. In addition, is not the value of one's work worth exactly what someone would be willing to pay? Would anyone pay $134,121 to a stay-at-home mom?

Salary.com,Inc., the compensation experts, announced today the 2006 update to their valuation of a Stay at Home Mom's job and for the first time addressed the question of what a Working Mom's job is worth. Salary.com consulted with Stay at Home and Working Moms and determined the top 10 jobs that make up a mom's job description. If paid, Stay at Home Moms would earn $134,121 annually (up from 2005's salary of $131,471). Working Moms would earn $85,876 annually for the "mom job" portion of their work, in addition to their actual "work job" salary.

It seems to me a huge stretch to assign the equivlent work of a stay-at-home mom to that of psychologist among other positions. In addition, is not the value of one's work worth exactly what someone would be willing to pay? Would anyone pay $134,121 to a stay-at-home mom?

If people want to have some sense of value for their parenting, perhaps they should take a look at the quality of their child's upbringing. Establishing a wage for this sort of self-imposed responsibility is completely foolish.

Of course not. Nobody pays anyone what they're worth. Its called Capitalism.

Of course not. Nobody pays anyone what they're worth. Its called Capitalism.

Uhm...don't quote me on that one ;)

Why should the "pyschological" work of a stay-at-home parent be valued the same as a trained and certified psychologist?

Not sure, but I believe that it is based upon what the mom self-assesses here role to be. Apparently moms think they provide the same level of service as a psychologist and CEO.

Salary.com,Inc., the compensation experts........

Reality check sisters!!

I think we better send these folks off to earn some real wages. My thinking is that they would not make greater that 25K per year or $12/hour

Reality check sisters!!

I think we better send these folks off to earn some real wages. My thinking is that they would not make greater that 25K per year or $12/hour

You aren't kidding. Among the ridiculious conclusions you can draw from this article is that if a working mother is earning less than 50,000 (US) she is actually being less productive in "earning" than a stay at home mom.

So what are nannies being paid then? A live out nanny can be had for $400.00 a week, but a couple I know have a nanny who works six days a week with overtime and they pay her less than $600....

Now I notice that the ...ahem....marital side of mom isn't factered in the wage....cause if you were to add that speacila service to a nanny, you could be paying well over 100K.....

Now I notice that the ...ahem....marital side of mom isn't factered in the wage....cause if you were to add that speacila service to a nanny, you could be paying well over 100K.....

I'm sure you are right. It may even pay the best of the professions listed when comparing the hourly rate. Of course this all depends upon the frequency and nature of the special serivices provided and of course whether the other spouse claims exclusive access to those services. Ahem. this thread is going where no thread shoudl go.

I hope you aren't suggesting that stay at home mom's are "prostitutes" to their husbands ;)

Seriously though...if you were to consider it THAT way, it could also be said that they are being compensated by not having to bring home the bacon for the necessities of life either. So while these "mom's" might not be paid monetarily, they are being provided for nonetheless.

I hope you aren't suggesting that stay at home mom's are "prostitutes" to their husbands ;)

Seriously though...if you were to consider it THAT way, it could also be said that they are being compensated by not having to bring home the bacon for the necessities of life either. So while these "mom's" might not be paid monetarily, they are being provided for nonetheless.

Well, if you are going to base the salary on what other professionals earn for services that the mom might perform.....yet no where did I see their salaries compared to a daycare worker of a nanny....

Well, if you are going to base the salary on what other professionals earn for services that the mom might perform.....yet no where did I see their salaries compared to a daycare worker of a nanny....

One of the jobs the mom's reported was "day care center teacher"

the "mom job" of day care center teacher, with Stay at Home Moms reporting an average of 15.7 hours per week and Working Moms reporting 7.2 hours per week.

Since they only reported that role for 15.7 hours, who the heck was caring for the kids the rest of the time?

What's a stay at home mom worth?

When my mom stayed home to take care of me, it was worth $1Million.

When she had a job, It was worth nothing to me. I would rather have had mom home, no matter what.

But I understand the reasons why she worked.

There is no price you can attach to a mom who is able to stay at home. It's priceless, and difficult to achieve as many families require dual incomes, or moms whom have to work to support their family on a single income.

What's a stay at home mom worth?

When my mom stayed home to take care of me, it was worth $1Million.

When she had a job, It was worth nothing to me. I would rather have had mom home, no matter what.

But I understand the reasons why she worked.

There is no price you can attach to a mom who is able to stay at home. It's priceless, and difficult to achieve as many families require dual incomes, or moms whom have to work to support their family on a single income.

Since kids seem willing to pay mom to stay home, but no one else is, maybe the solution is to loan kids the money to pay mom and have them repay the loan (with interest) once they are working.

Only problems are:

1. Kids are too young to understand or accept a loan.

2. It is a risky proposition to loan to any individual who does not have a financal history, so the interest rate would need to be substantial in order to make it viable.