Using profanity in the forums

Using profanity during a debate, like using insults, does nothing but lower the overall quality of the speakers argument. I don't have a specific rule about profanity because I think it goes without saying, profanity - in any form - isn't respectful. Whether or not that profanity is directed at a member of the forum, a third party, or in some abstract way, it should not be considered acceptable to litter your responses with fuck, shit, whatever.

This isn't rocket-science, and I don't think it is unreasonable for me to ask that everyone avoid using profanity when participating in these forums.

I understand that we're all humans and that we sometimes let our emotions get the best of us. Much of the profanity that I've seen in these forums falls under that category. However, take a look at the list of banned users, and you'll noticed a trend. Those who use profanity to make their point often don't have much of a point to make. They need to use profanity to express themselves because they couldn't be bothered to construct a reasonable and sound argument.

Saying someone is a fucking idiot, (or "guilty as shit") is far easier than actually defending the position and or explained it further.

Well said!

The use of profanity in this forum, is slight. What is the real problem, is the spreading of hate and bigotry that goes unchecked.

Yes such as nastily mocking Ann Coulters appearance in a thread.

Wholesale condemnation of a political party as seen many times in this forum.

The smearing of a small group of scientists who are skeptics on the Global Warming front.

Many more examples I can say can be found in this forum and in the world.

The use of profanity in this forum, is slight. What is the real problem, is the spreading of hate and bigotry that goes unchecked.

The smearing of a small group of scientists who are skeptics on the Global Warming front.

Actually, I was speaking of the rampent untruths and hate expressed towards/about "brown" people issued by many here.

Actually, I was speaking of the rampent untruths and hate expressed towards/about "brown" people issued by many here.

Really, I don't suppose any of the rampant untruths come from you? As for the rest of the smears - poppycock.

Catchme's first post of the thread:

My post in reply to the above:

Catchme's second post of this thread:

Well I failed to see your words "brown people" in your original post.

My wife is brown and I see so little of what you complain about in this forum.

Next time be more specific since I did not see it the way you wrote.