Which group has control over the election?

Topaz

I say the "baby boomers' because there so many of us vs the other age groups. I would think most boomers are the "middle-incomers" and who really are the back bone of financial support to this country. This election will change how Canada will go forward into the future and how we will be accept in the world as far as Kyoto is concerned. I will be watching Harpo how he treats every Canadian, especially the ones that really do need help! Alot of boomers will be retiring soon and if its impossible for alot of them to do so because of higher cost of living, I think Harpo will feel it at the voting polls.

I do not think that any one group will have much sway. The only group that will even be counted are the small percentage that get off their butts and vote. We have seem ever reducing numbers with every election unless you have very compelling issues around which the voters will rally. The environment is a hot issue to talk about and yes it will even warrant money being spent, but it will never really become a big election issues. The things that affect the voters in their own pockets will be the issues that will be fought about in an election.

Dions past as being involved with the government that did the sponsorship scandle, will also be an issue of whether we can trust Liberals again or not. I personally will never trust any liberal who was there at the time of the scandle. So until enough time has past that all of these have left the politic al scene, I will not even consider anything they have to say.

As far as NDP and Layton go, I really just can not get past the way Layton comes accross as a snake oil salesman, to ever vote for them.

The green as I said will never make it as a party, because the green cause is never going to be a cause that will win elections on, but will always be an added on issue to many parties and their plans.

So yes that leaves me with the CPC, who so far have done a good job of running the country and there has not been a scanle a week like the Liberals. They have moved steadily toward achieving the goals and have done so in a minority government position. Yes while I may not agree with all things they plan and have done. I do see that they have acted in the best interests of the people. That means that even when I disagree wiith what they have done, I can see why and where they have made decissions that most want. I am not so self centered that it always has to be me, me, me all the time.

If an election is called this spring it will become plain to all the people early on, that the past year of government has been quite good and while things were slowed by the opposition, they still got thru. The only party that has a plan and a future for our country is the CPC. They have laid out what is a slow but steady march towards where I would like things to end up. I am not saying all things but at least the ones that count. So yes, I would not mind a psring election or a fall or what ever. I things that rigt now the only real thing that will come out of an elelction is the CPC will gain seats, and maybe even enough for a majority. Even the Liberals know this, and all the polls mean nothing until a writ is dropped and the people once again start being made aware of the things that matter most to them.

I think "newer" Canadians will have a bigger say. I think when a new Canadian arrives in the country, they are grateful to the party in power who "let them in" - and of course, the Liberals were uninterrupted for 13 years. It takes a while for these new Canadians to get acclimated to our politics and understand that there is more than one party and it is OK to vote for someone else. Many new Canadians have strong family values and they tend to live in pocketed communities where a few voices can have a lot of effect. We've heard from more than one prominent community that the "Liberals have taken our vote for granted". I think we'll be seeing a shift in many of the ethnic communities that will help the Conservatives.

I think you've got it Keepitsimple.

Think of all the Islamic people in Canada, they share nothing in common with the Liberals other than a belief in weak immigration policy. They are far far far more socially conservative than any Christian (they don't let their women show their hair for it might excite a male...), many are small business owners.

The CPC has a huge audience with these people. Eliminating corporate tax on small-business income would be a massive winner.

many are small business owners.

The CPC has a huge audience with these people. Eliminating corporate tax on small-business income would be a massive winner.

I completely disagree ona all your points.

Immigrants want weak immigation and more handouts; not lower taxes.

But I don't expect a working Canadian such as yourself to understand what's foremost important to immigrants.

And calling many immigrants business owners and fiscally conservative? Lol.. more than half are living in poverty despite them being here for 5 years. I pointed many of these things out in other posts. They want sponsorship, handouts, and more services. They are only conservative when it comes to their families and religion: ie: "My daughter may not marry a Canadian because he's not from our ethnic background".

I think you've been watching too much Little Mosque on the Prarie.

many are small business owners.

I completely disagree ona all your points.

Immigrants want weak immigation and more handouts; not lower taxes.

Who owns the corner store? The liquor store?

It's always either a Chinese guy or a Sikh. They want more profit from their store, who wouldn't.

The guys that provide jobs (which give people citizenship... it's also no secret that all of Mr. China or Mr. India's employees are of the same race) have huge clout in the ethnic community. If the CPC gives them thousands more a year in cash through eliminating small business taxes (great for everyone), then they'll encourage their community to vote Conservative.

I think you've got it Keepitsimple.

Think of all the Islamic people in Canada, they share nothing in common with the Liberals other than a belief in weak immigration policy. They are far far far more socially conservative than any Christian (they don't let their women show their hair for it might excite a male...), many are small business owners.

Taxes and other commonalities aside I think the CPC's openly pro-Isreal stance will hurt them with Islamists.