Tories to Run Negative TV Ad Campaign

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

OTTAWA -- The Conservative party intends to run TV attack ads against new Liberal leader Stephane Dion, CTV News has learned.

Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenny will hold a briefing tomorrow in Ottawa to unveil the ads that mock Dion's leadership abilities and his environmental record, sources say.

Party insiders say the Conservatives will buy TV spots during the Super Bowl and other prime time slots for maximum impact.

They stress the ads are not part of a strategy to force an early election.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories
OTTAWA -- The Conservative party intends to run TV attack ads against new Liberal leader Stephane Dion, CTV News has learned.

Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenny will hold a briefing tomorrow in Ottawa to unveil the ads that mock Dion's leadership abilities and his environmental record, sources say.

Party insiders say the Conservatives will buy TV spots during the Super Bowl and other prime time slots for maximum impact.

They stress the ads are not part of a strategy to force an early election.

I'd rather watch the super bowl commercials.

When someone asks later on when the 2007 campaign went negative, they should remember this.

Who is doing the scary ads now?

The liberal party A and the liberal party B. Business as usual. These ads must be meant for easterners. We're already scared of Dion.

I have a feeling it'll backfire, and I don't see the need for it. Especially if their is an election then people can see for themselves what Dion is like.

I hope they don't backfire...if there's anyone that's *scary* *scary* *scary* during the nexy campaign it's Dion...I can't even imagine this guy as PM...I think Canada is truly finished then.

That being said, I don't know is this will work for us but I hope so...

Good to see someone is going to highlight the fact that Dion is an environmental failure. Too bad it wasn't the MSM.

It's not like the Tories can point to their own program which is stuck in committee.

Are you serious? Anything the Liberals do is stuck in commitee...they are so desperate to tkae the "right" postion that they'll labour on forever...

Good to see someone is going to highlight the fact that Dion is an environmental failure. Too bad it wasn't the MSM.

Dion is a Liberal. No way the pro-Liberal Toronto Star/Globe & Mail says anything bad...

Isn't this just a little unusual and unneccesary since we are not in an election? Has this been done before outside election time? Is Steve and his merry band that insecure? He's already brainwashed all he can (his base); what will this prove? Not one of them can open their mouth without denigrating or blaming the "former" government; is that Prime Ministerial and governmental or what? It's more like grade school mentality and that IS NOT FIT for the governing party.

When someone asks later on when the 2007 campaign went negative, they should remember this.

For the LPOC, live by the sword; die by the sword.

Isn't this just a little unusual and unneccesary since we are not in an election? Has this been done before outside election time? Is Steve and his merry band that insecure? He's already brainwashed all he can (his base); what will this prove? Not one of them can open their mouth without denigrating or blaming the "former" government; is that Prime Ministerial and governmental or what? It's more like grade school mentality and that IS NOT FIT for the governing party.

After all Martin lost the 2006 election due to his uncompromising honesty, exemplary leadership and articulate clear policies. The people did not vote for him due to their innate stupidity.

And where, exactly, is the $400,000+ for Super Bowl advertising going to come from?

The money comes from the party, not the gov't, and it won't be anywhere near that much besides how do we know if they are actually 'attack' ads.

The Tories have raised a lot more cash than any other political party, I believe more than they are allowed to spend in an official campaign.

We'll see how it plays but I understand where they are coming from - the media is giving this guy a "free ride" - he has done nothing and has no credentials or experience. And by the way - they are not "negative attack" ads is you are simply exposing clips of actaul speeches in a manner that doesn't grossly misrepresent things. In other words - truthful. Negative attack ads are the Liberals "Soldiers in the city - we're not making this up". Here's an excerpt from the article:

Sources say the party is concerned that Dion is getting a free ride from the mainstream media and the Tories want to go over the heads of the national media in Ottawa to reach ordinary Canadians.

The ads -- which party officials showed to the Conservative caucus on Friday -- cast doubt on Dion's environmental credentials and leadership abilities, according to sources that have seen them.

One Conservative insider told CTV News the party "wants to define Dion before the Liberals get the chance to define him with a free ride from the media."

One of the ads is a clip from the Liberal leadership campaign.

"You don't know how hard it is to set priorities," Dion states in one ad as a perplexed Ignatieff looks on, according to a Tory source.

Another ad mocks Dion's failure as environment minister to meet the Kyoto climate change targets.

"We didn't get it done." Deputy Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says to Dion in an exchange taken from the Liberal leadership race.

Tory MPs roared when the ads were played for them at the caucus retreat.

"They are all Liberals in the ads and they are quite funny," one Tory MP said.

Oh please. I have been watching federal elections since Trudeau's day, and I have never seen one where the Liberals' campaign was not run from the gutter.

Has this been done before outside election time?

Yes.

When? I don't remember anything like this. I don't see the point, actually. Elections are plenty long enough to mock and ridicule Dion's claim as an environmental saviour.

Steve is a smart boy. He has come to the conclusion that Frenchy Stevie is an actual political threat. The Conservatives aready jumped on the green band wagon, what will they do next? I will tell you, they will piggyback to death any issue with a little public support. These guys know how the game is played and are playing it well. If you do nothing at all you can't be made out to have screwed anything up can you?