What Makes Red Necks Tick?

I think of this event especially around Christmas, since that is when it occurred. By the way, I do NOT think of the more conservative posters on this board as red necks. My definition? You'll see.

Many years ago, I was running through a new subdivision. One of those engineered ones with those curving and twisting streets. It had recently snowed and the road surfaces were covered with patches of ice.

Around a corner came a hot car, big, noisy and moving very fast. Too fast for the neighborhood and the conditions. On this same corner children were playing. They were oblivious to the car, and the driver was oblivious to them. I sensed a potential disaster and ushered the children off the street (they were actually on the edge of the sidewalk; one foot on the street). Sure, enough the car hit an icy patch and began to slide slightly sideways. Fortunately, he regained control. But, had I not shouted, "Slow down!", (this made him stop) he would have hit the children and certainly killed them.

He slammed on his brakes, got out of his car, and said, "Who the f**k do you think you are to tell me......" He was wearing his logging company jacket, so he appeared to be locally employed. He was definitely not drunk. I told him that there were kids on the street, and he just had a so-what attitude. Fortunately, neighbors who had also seen the incident appeared and told him to get the "hell out of here" before they called the police.

Here's the clincher: had the neighbors not appeared, I am convinced he would have attacked me.

I grew up in a resource-based town with these kinds of red neck yahoos. What makes them tick?

A holier-than-thou attitude?

A my way or the highway attitude?

I too grew up in a resource based town and found that anything out of the ordinary was automatically suspect.

In the 1970's when the first East Indians moved to our town it was terrible for them. I wanted to date this one guy -- he was soo hot, and he had a Camero... but my brother would have none of it.

The other day, I got my belly button pierced and he totally freaked. Why? I have no idea. Just a redneck 'tude I guess. LOL

I'm a redneck and I resent that accusation.

Sorry, but you are not a red neck. Not by my definition anyway. I know (intuition) that you would not speed through a small neighborhood and just about kill two children without a hint of remorse. I know you would not brag about how great it is being in jail (three squares a day, you know). I know you would not attempt to run someone down with your car just because they are running. I know you would not assault someone just because you didn't like the color of their shirt. And so on.

Yes, these people are self-centered bastards. Yes, they are criminals. But they are also red necks.

So help me out here. What makes them tick?

Sorry, B. Max, wrong on all counts.

I live in a resource-based town (from Shanghai to a small town in BC, talk about culture shock). It is very beautiful and quiet here.

I like the people that live here.

I like big, fast cars, especially those with wings on them.

And, I am definitely not a leftist nor an elitist.

But, I definitely don't like anyone who just about kills two children (or similar "yahooish" behaviors) and couldn't care less.

Happy New Year!

Yes, these people are self-centered bastards. Yes, they are criminals. But they are also red necks.

So help me out here. What makes them tick?

Twisted hicks full of machismo also emulated by the more educated city dweller.

Good One Leafless!

A-holes come in all shapes and sizes and from all areas.

But it does seem that those in small northern towns are more "set in their ways" as they are simply exposed to less diversity of humans (not necessarily race, but attitude).

My bro has just moved here from up north and his g/friend (cute little redneck that she is) is having a hard time deciding if she wants to be in the "city". She is set in her ways and has never been exposed to anything other than the 4000 or so people she grew up with. I'll call her "naive".

I hope she decides to come. She is really sweet and my bro really loves her - she'd never dream of getting a piercing :lol:

Twisted hicks full of machismo also emulated by the more educated city dweller.

I'll agree with this. Rednecks don't just live in small towns. Or is Alberta and Saskatchewan. And, yes, they can be friendly until you insult their muscle car. I actually saw two of them go at it in a bar because one said to the other,"Your car sucks!". (I am not joking about this). When they live in cities, I think we tend to call them criminals instead.

We are.

Wait a minute! It couldn't have been more obvious; I definitely know you are not a redneck. You can read and write (of course, you could have got someone to do it for you) :D

China,

Yes, I can read and rite to. hehe

Redneckism is associated with right wing conservatism, of which I believe in. I'm a very traditional guy, believing in hetero sex and marriages, home brew with no taxes paid. I ride a motorcycle with a 434 ci smallblock chevy in it.

Rednecks don't have to be uneducated.

Just don't stereotype us or I'll have to start saying all chinks are the same and they should be running laundromats someplace. Don't go there.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a funny story about redneck thugs.

I had a friend who posted a survey in a bar. It was a yes-or-no survey; something along the lines of if you answered yes to 10 of these questions, then you know your a redneck, a thug, etc. Anyway, something like that. The funniest question was, "I know important community figures. I make an appointment with a judge and a lawyer at least once a month." It was quite amazing how many of the patrons answered yes.