If the 407 is private...

Here's an interesting one. A bill came the other day for our daughter in law from the 407, she's died 6years ago on the 8 th of December. They are going to take her to small claims court.

For any of you who don't know about the 407 it was a new highway above Toronto. It was rented out by the Harris Government to a private company.

This company has the right to take away your divers liscence if you don't pay. It also signed an agreement with Ernie Eves that they wouldn't raise the rates more than 2% a year, they have gone up 200%. Seems there was a little * beside Eves assurances that only if use warranted could they raise the price. Well the people who run the 407 are the only ones who can judge use, they refuse to give any explanations of how they arrive at the figures. It seems dead easy to me just count the users when you bill them, why is it a secret"

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sentimtents exactly guysir, I have made sure all my family knows the fact and now none use it.

I still am interested in how they can take someone who is dead to court.

Have your son show them the death certificate, that way he wont have to pay.

Thats it geyser, my son has a bad habit of keeping every paper he gets. Thats how he was able to beat one of the biggest car companies in a wrongful firing suit. Oh yes he already has the papers from the 407 people thanking him for the copy of her death certificate he sent 3 years ago and also saying that they were closing the case.

Here's an interesting one. A bill came the other day for our daughter in law from the 407, she's died 6years ago on the 8 th of December. They are going to take her to small claims court.

You should be suing the company for your divided share from the profits generated from the highway since it was taxpayer dollars that built it.

As for driver licences non-renewal, that changed sometime back, although the company is going to court to re-instate that stupid perk.

Let us think for a moment what would happen if there was no cheap mechanism to recover unpaid charges.

The company would either have to enforce stricter access policies to the highway (ie the camera system which allows any car to enter would need to be changed). One possibility would be toll gates based which only allowed credit-approved drivers (ie one's carring transponders) to pass. Can you imagine the impact to traffic flow?

The other choice is that the company would have to hike rates to recover the increased recovery costs of having to take scofflaws to court and then collect. Those rates would impact all drivers on the 407,

Face it, it is in the interest of all drivers (except the scofflaws) to ensure that there is a cheap and efficient payment recovery mechanism for the 407 corporation.

It is a private company , and as such if you dont like to pay don't use it. I rarely ever go on because I don't like paying for it.

As for driver licences non-renewal, that changed sometime back, although the company is going to court to re-instate that stupid perk.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard stories about out of Province vacationers getting some big bills that they weren't expecting. Are there no toll booths on this highway so that out of towners know what they are getting into beforehand?

Face it, it is in the interest of all drivers (except the scofflaws) to ensure that there is a cheap and efficient payment recovery mechanism for the 407 corporation.
This argument illustrates why some essential services should never be run by a private company. If the gov't needs to act as a collection agent for a private business to avoid inconveniencing the public then the gov't should be providing the service.

I really couldn't care less about the 407 company and the scofflaws that don't pay. Fact is , one form of highway robbery or the other. Everyone whom uses the 407 shouldn't pay, and let the company chase em all for the money.

Leasing the 407 will stand as one of the most incompentent ideas ever to possess a government.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard stories about out of Province vacationers getting some big bills that they weren't expecting. Are there no toll booths on this highway so that out of towners know what they are getting into beforehand?

Oh that is true, some of our American friends get the bills too. I wouldn't exactly call them big bills, the thing is only 37K long ( I think ). They should know they have to pay, whether they do or not.There are no "tolls" as such, but there are signs everywhere indicating what you are getting on.

My only wish is I could get a clients drivers licence renewal refused since when they haven't paid their bills I sent them.Oh how nice that would be.

This argument illustrates why some essential services should never be run by a private company. If the gov't needs to act as a collection agent for a private business to avoid inconveniencing the public then the gov't should be providing the service.

Personally, I would have no issue with the government providing the service itself, provided that the non-user was not forced to fund the building or subsidizing of the highway.

I really couldn't care less about the 407 company and the scofflaws that don't pay. Fact is , one form of highway robbery or the other. Everyone whom uses the 407 shouldn't pay, and let the company chase em all for the money.

Get real. Exactly how long do you think access to the highway would last if no one payed? Lets imagine you could get all 407 users to agree to use but not pay for the highway. The 407 corp would soon implement a system whereby you would need to post funds in advance from an account which would be debited upon use. A similar system is used by some utilites if you have no credit record.

Don't have funds to post in advance? Too bad, so sad, go wait on the 401 like everyone else.

You mean how we already can with school levies and other social services ?

No, I'm expecting even if it was government run, it would still be a toll road, and the cost to buid and operate the highway would be based upon toll fees collected.

I suppose it is always an option that the government could buy it back from the 407 corp, but I doubt they would do so.

Oh that is true, some of our American friends get the bills too. I wouldn't exactly call them big bills, the thing is only 37K long ( I think ). They should know they have to pay, whether they do or not.There are no "tolls" as such, but there are signs everywhere indicating what you are getting on.

My only wish is I could get a clients drivers licence renewal refused since when they haven't paid their bills I sent them.Oh how nice that would be.

It was my understanding that if you don't have a transponder and they had to track you down, the fee was quite hefty for RV's. Maybe not.

Why couldn't that road have been a toll road, there are others choices, but oh yes Mr. Harris announced the Ontario was open for business. He wanted instant money to use to cover his deficits. Another one is the signage contracts along the highways all rights owned by a company in the US.

Margrace... it's "Coquihalla", but here in BC we just call it the Coq 'cause nobody can spell it. ;)

And no one HAS to drive it. There is the Canyon Hwy as an alternate route. The Coq been sold off to private enterprise by the way and now the BC govt is all ticked off because the private contractor has not been removing snow on a regular basis and the road has been closed many times this year.

I would rather pay my $10 toll to the govt than some private enterprise.