Canada / US Relations

Dual Citizenship  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest American Woman

Sure. I think Americans should be able to become citizens of another country, too. I'm all for dual citizenship. I don't think someone should have to give up loyalties to their native country when they move to a new one.They would still have relatives in the Old Country (as my Grandma used to call it), so I don't think they should suddenly become an "alien" in that country whenever they return, nor do I think they should have to be an alien in the new country they are residing in because they don't want to give up loyalty to the old.

Sure. I think Americans should be able to become citizens of another country, too. I'm all for dual citizenship. I don't think someone should have to give up loyalties to their native country when they move to a new nether would still have relatives in the Old Country (as my Grandma used to call it), so I don't think they should suddenly become an "alien" in that country whenever they return, nor do I think they should have to be an alien in the new country they are residing in because they don't want to give up loyalty to the old.

I disagree and the reason for that disagreement is quite simple, remember back to the Lebanese evacuation? Many of these so-called Canadians are citizens of convenience only. Of the15,000 evacuated, many have not lived or participated in Canadian society for years, and suddenly when their lives were in danger they sudden became patriotic Canadians demanding to be rescued. Of the 15,000 rescued at taxpayer's expense apparently over 7,000 returned to Lebanon immediately o resume their lives as Lebanese citizens. If one is going to claim Canadian citizenship they should at the very least be contributing taxes like the rest of us who live here all year, year in and year out. Being a citizen of convenience is not being Canadian.

Guest American Woman
I disagree and the reason for that disagreement is quite simple, remember back to the Lebanese evacuation? Many of these so-called Canadians are citizens of convenience only. Of the15,000 evacuated, many have not lived or participated in Canadian society for years, and suddenly when their lives were in danger they sudden became patriotic Canadians demanding to be rescued. Of the 15,000 rescued at taxpayer's expense apparently over 7,000 returned to Lebanon immediately o resume their lives as Lebanese citizens. If one is going to claim Canadian citizenship they should at the very least be contributing taxes like the rest of us who live here all year, year in and year out. Being a citizen of convenience is not being Canadian.

I understand why you feel that way, but I don't think a government is obligated to foot the bill for situations like the one you refer to. I wouldn't expect my government (ie: taxpayers) to pay for my decisions. When I travelled to a country that my government had warned against travelling to, I expected help if something like a terrorist abuction happened, but I wouldn't expect them to send me back home at their expense; so if the situation had become more heated while we were there, I would have taken responsiblity for that and paid for anything that my government did to get us out. I certainly wouldn't expect the taxpayers to pay for it and I don't blame you for being angry about having to pay for the Lebanese evacuations. I would be angry too if I were a Canadian.

Of the 15,000 rescued at taxpayer's expense apparently over 7,000 returned to Lebanon immediately o resume their lives as Lebanese citizens. If one is going to claim Canadian citizenship they should at the very least be contributing taxes like the rest of us who live here all year, year in and year out. Being a citizen of convenience is not being Canadian.

Exactly. If these people also have Lebanese citizenship and choose to live in Lebanon, Canada should have no obligation to them when they are in Lebanon. When they are in Lebanon, they are Lebanese and have the citizenship to prove it. Why should Canada get involved in a Lebanese citizen's business when that person is in Lebanon?

When you're so foolish as to climb a mountain that is known to be dangerous and the park rangers have to air-lifted out, you have to pay the bill. I see this in a similar vein: if you're a Canadian in Lebanon for a short period of time (school, job assignment, tourism, etc.) you should be evacuated at taxpayers' expense. If, though, you're a Canadian-of-convenience and/or a dual citizen of a known-to-be-dangerous country and you choose to live in that dangerous country, you should not expect Canada to come to your rescue without having to shoulder some of the expense associated with your stupidity.

Exactly. If these people also have Lebanese citizenship and choose to live in Lebanon, Canada should have no obligation to them when they are in Lebanon. When they are in Lebanon, they are Lebanese and have the citizenship to prove it. Why should Canada get involved in a Lebanese citizen's business when that person is in Lebanon?

I agree here. When there was a problem there, the US government was criticized for not having travel arrangements made quick enough. Some even sued the government.

Guest American Woman

I agree here. When there was a problem there, the US government was criticized for not having travel arrangements made quick enough. Some even sued the government.

I heard about the situation regarding Canadian/Lebanese citizens, but I hadn't heard anything about the US government being criticized for "not having travel arrangements made quick enough," much less being sued over it. Could you provide a source for that information please? Thank you.

I heard about the situation regarding Canadian/Lebanese citizens, but I hadn't heard anything about the US government being criticized for "not having travel arrangements made quick enough," much less being sued over it. Could you provide a source for that information please? Thank you.

I just did a google search for "us sued over lebanon evacuation" and I got at least a page of hits. I will not bother to copy them for you, you can do it yourself. As far as US criticized for timeliness, it was well covered in the media. Probably a google search will help you out there also.

Guest American Woman

I just did a google search for "us sued over lebanon evacuation" and I got at least a page of hits. I will not bother to copy them for you, you can do it yourself. As far as US criticized for timeliness, it was well covered in the media. Probably a google search will help you out there also.

Thank you again. As I said, I hadn't heard anything about it, and even doing a google search the only news network I can find covering it is Fox News (which explains why I hadn't heard anything about it). I suppose we'll never hear what happened with the law suit, but I'd be really interested.

If I am a citzen of Canada and find myself in an emergency not of my own making, I fully expect official help up to and including repatriation to Canada or to a safe haven.

Repayment for same is a separate issue.

There are more issues than what people might expect. A government is not a travel agency, and any accomodations should be more than fully compensated. This should be understood before any arrangements are made. Second, what dangers should a second or third party assume to accomodate someone's expectations. What about their compensation? Third, timeliness is relative. What is slow to some might be quick to others.

In the end, if you travel to places, especially places on "Do Not Travel To" lists, regardless of your nationality, your country should not have to call out the army for YOU. It is unfair for the rest of the rational thinking citizens for anyone to expect such.

If I am a citzen of Canada and find myself in an emergency not of my own making, I fully expect official help up to and including repatriation to Canada or to a safe haven.

Repayment for same is a separate issue.

There are more issues than what people might expect. A government is not a travel agency, and any accomodations should be more than fully compensated. This should be understood before any arrangements are made. Second, what dangers should a second or third party assume to accomodate someone's expectations. What about their compensation? Third, timeliness is relative. What is slow to some might be quick to others.

In the end, if you travel to places, especially places on "Do Not Travel To" lists, regardless of your nationality, your country should not have to call out the army for YOU. It is unfair for the rest of the rational thinking citizens for anyone to expect such.

If only it were that simple. I've travelled extensively outside Canada, and regard the compassion of my government, and its willingness to help a citizen in trouble, as one of the things that differentiates my country from others. If you check the Foreign Affairs website for travel advisories, and heeded the warning about foreign countries, you wouldn't leave your home. Obviously written by a govt lawyer, nearly everywhere is a hotbed of nastiness.

I know at least a couple of individuals that were repatriated by the government. One had been very ill and nearly died in West Africa. The other had been raped and robbed in the Middle east. Both were required to repay the costs of flights and other items before they could renew their passports. With interest. But they got out alive, thanks to our government.

If you check the Foreign Affairs website for travel advisories, and heeded the warning about foreign countries, you wouldn't leave your home. Obviously written by a govt lawyer, nearly everywhere is a hotbed of nastiness.

Ok, you have a nice country, and those who are repatriated pay FULL value for their travel, what about if some people are killed or endangered because they had to put their lives on the line for you. There were those mountain climbers who went mountain climbing in midwinter, perhaps without enough supplies. Or the boat operators who go boating in rough seas. Or go traveling to places where there are travel advisories. Or those who start fires in forests. These are selfish acts of me firstism. To hell with the rest of the world, I'll decide what is right for ME.

• 3 weeks later...
Should Canadians be allowed to be a citizen of another country?

I think it should be on a "case by case" basis. People should have to apply individually for joint status and it should be based upon cause. An exception might be made for such obviously similar countries as the US, Australia, UK, etc.

Otherwise, I believe that if someone is motivated to immigrate, and applies for citizenship in their new country, that is and must be a drastic decision. The person must understand that they are giving up ancestral connections, and starting a new life.

Neither Canada nor the US became great by means of people having one foot out the door.

Should Canadians be allowed to be a citizen of another country?

I think it should be on a "case by case" basis. People should have to apply individually for joint status and it should be based upon cause. An exception might be made for such obviously similar countries as the US, Australia, UK, etc.

Otherwise, I believe that if someone is motivated to immigrate, and applies for citizenship in their new country, that is and must be a drastic decision. The person must understand that they are giving up ancestral connections, and starting a new life.

Neither Canada nor the US became great by means of people having one foot out the door.

Well put...I completely agree with that.