David Wilkins thinks Arar is still a threat

Is it time to put David Wilkins on a security watch list?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Globe and Mail (Saturday, Dec 16, Page 1) quotes US Ambassador David Wilkins as saying Maher Arar is still a threat according to secret sources deep within the US security establishment. Perhaps a janitor at the pentagon, who knows. Can you spell cover-up?

The question is... Is it time to put Wilkins on our security Watch List?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Globe and Mail (Saturday, Dec 16, Page 1) quotes US Ambassador David Wilkins as saying Maher Arar is still a threat according to secret sources deep within the US security establishment. Perhaps a janitor at the pentagon, who knows. Can you spell cover-up?

I am not amused by your sarcasm. When people immigrate to Canada and/or the US from dangerous lands and retain their involvement with dangerous, senseless people, of course they're suspicious. Lie down with dogs; wake up with fleas.

I am not amused by your sarcasm.

You're not amused? Who are you, the friggin' Queen of England? Put a Corgi in it, jbg.

Frankly, neither am I.

Wilkins based his on a US investigation. That is their perogative. I have no qualms.

Even the Judge who conducted the Arar inquiry qualified his opinion by saying he was not privy to information the U.S. government had on Arar. Is Arar a terrorist or a friend of terrorist elements? In all likelihood the answer is yes.

I am not amused by your sarcasm. When people immigrate to Canada and/or the US from dangerous lands and retain their involvement with dangerous, senseless people, of course they're suspicious. Lie down with dogs; wake up with fleas.

Arar's deportation to Syria is the downside of Canada allowing the practice duel citizenship to continue. Never mind entertaining any lawsuit from Arar. Had he not been carrying a Syrian passport there was only one place the U.S. authorities could have sent him, to Canada. Let's not forget the $millions it cost the Canadian taxpayers to pull quasi-Canadian/Lebanese bacon from the fire when war broke out in Lebanon. All these so-called Canadians who held Canadian citizenship as a convenience, but do not pay taxes in this country, suddenly started complaining about the last of quick evacuation from a country they were not only born in, but permanently reside in. Over 7000 of those we paid to evacuate have now returned to Lebanon.

It is time for Canada to first, send a bill for the costs of evacuation especially to those who have returned to Lebanon, but to also cancel their Canadian citizenship, and passports. If they cannot pay taxes in Canada why should they enjoy the benefits of citizenship. Let's put this into perspective, K. C. Irving the $billionaire industrialist gave up Canadian citizenship and moved to Bermuda and set up a trust that his heirs can only inherit if they give up Canadian citizenship and claim their heritage in Bermuda where the Canadian tax-amn cannot get to it. what kind of Canadian citizen is that? I contend that we should automatically pull their passports when they take out citizenship in another country.

If Arar had only Canadian citizenship the U.S. authorities would have had no choice but to return him to Canada, not that we really want this terror threat within our borders mind you.

Let's not forget the $millions it cost the Canadian taxpayers to pull quasi-Canadian/Lebanese bacon from the fire when war broke out in Lebanon. All these so-called Canadians who held Canadian citizenship as a convenience, but do not pay taxes in this country, suddenly started complaining about the last of quick evacuation from a country they were not only born in, but permanently reside in. Over 7000 of those we paid to evacuate have now returned to Lebanon.

OK. So what does it mean to be a Canadian citizen? Once you get that Canadian passport, there is no going back, AFAIC.

In any case, back to the topic at hand....

Wilkins was just spouting the party line and saying what he had to in order to deflect a lawsuit. Unfortunately, this means that he places money over the rights of our citizens. This is not what we believe. I say he should be put on a watch list as a subversive who does not accept Canadian values.

Wilkins was just spouting the party line and saying what he had to in order to deflect a lawsuit. Unfortunately, this means that he places money over the rights of our citizens. This is not what we believe. I say he should be put on a watch list as a subversive who does not accept Canadian values.

Wilkins is a diplomat. He gets a free pass on all of this, and no he is not putting money over rights of our citizens. What crime could we attach to put him on a wtach list?

Wilkins is just the mouthpiece for the government, which all ambassadors are. But it would be nice to have information sharing for real, not just one sided. The US government talks about information sharing but, from what we see in the Arar deal, is just talk and no action. I think what they want is for countries to give them information and not reciprocate. That way they can talk about all this "confidential info" for manipulation purposes. It makes them feel important. ANd they use it for an excuse to do what they want. AND, if there is no real info, they won't have to say they are wrong.

Wilkins is just the mouthpiece for the government, which all ambassadors are. But it would be nice to have information sharing for real, not just one sided.

And what did this information sharing do for Canada.

Arar and his legal aid team dismantled the workings of Canada national security system and made a fool out of Canada internationally.

The U.S has balls and won't be suckered in by a one man show, seeking riches any way he can.

This is more than about Arar. He is just an example of how the US wants others to share their information and yet not reciprocate in kind. And as far as Arar dismantling the workings of Canada national security system, it doesn't sound like we had a good one to start with. I mean, sharing meanderings of imagination without any kind of proof to another country to have a man interred and tortured isn't an effective national security system. It's the system itself that has made a joke out of Canada internationally.

There was a kid in elementary school who never backed down, you could say he had balls as well. He ended up with no real friends, only self-seeking suck up friends who were afraid of his fists.

If I were Arar, I would be suing as well. It's the only option when governments do what they did.

And as far as Arar dismantling the workings of Canada national security system, it doesn't sound like we had a good one to start with.

And how would you know that for a fact when the only proof you have, are the results of a secret inquiry and not that of a court of law.

It appears you, as a casual observer were suckered in by (an Arar friendly inquiry) information that could possibly not be LEGALLY anywhere near correct since an inquiry is NOT a court of law.

LOL, remember the legal teeth the 'Gommery Inquiry' had.

This is more than about Arar. He is just an example of how the US wants others to share their information and yet not reciprocate in kind.
What is the basis of your assertion that the US does not share intelligence information with other allied countries? Your total hatred for all things American, including me personally?

"Wilkins is a diplomat. He gets a free pass on all of this, and no he is not putting money over rights of our citizens. What crime could we attach to put him on a wtach list?"

How about kidnapping?

How about unlawful confinement?

How about malicous prosecution?

Those are just three that I could think of. He be a diplomat but you can be sure that he would be removed quietly if Canada and Arar complained loud enough and long enough.

This is more than about Arar. He is just an example of how the US wants others to share their information and yet not reciprocate in kind. And as far as Arar dismantling the workings of Canada national security system, it doesn't sound like we had a good one to start with. I mean, sharing meanderings of imagination without any kind of proof to another country to have a man interred and tortured isn't an effective national security system. It's the system itself that has made a joke out of Canada internationally.

There was a kid in elementary school who never backed down, you could say he had balls as well. He ended up with no real friends, only self-seeking suck up friends who were afraid of his fists.

If I were Arar, I would be suing as well. It's the only option when governments do what they did.

I agree!

Wilkins is a diplomat. He gets a free pass on all of this, and no he is not putting money over rights of our citizens. What crime could we attach to put him on a wtach list?

Yes, but that day will end.

Who says you have to have committed a crime to be put on a watch list? This test certainly doesn't apply in the US, and it certainly has not been applied to Mr. Arar.

Let's not forget the $millions it cost the Canadian taxpayers to pull quasi-Canadian/Lebanese bacon from the fire when war broke out in Lebanon. All these so-called Canadians who held Canadian citizenship as a convenience, but do not pay taxes in this country, suddenly started complaining about the last of quick evacuation from a country they were not only born in, but permanently reside in. Over 7000 of those we paid to evacuate have now returned to Lebanon.

OK. So what does it mean to be a Canadian citizen? Once you get that Canadian passport, there is no going back, AFAIC.

He's not only a Canadian, he's a Syrian too. The US is in their full right to deport people to their country of origin. Renounce your citizenship, no matter how difficult, if that's the issue at hand.

The guy was a refugee to Canada, yet has not claimed to have ever tried to renounce his Syrian citizenship.

So I have little sympathy, your either a Canadian or your aren't... this dual citizenship crap is just causing too much grief.

So I have little sympathy, your either a Canadian or your aren't... this dual citizenship crap is just causing too much grief.

But what about special situations like Israel, whose citizenship is difficult to renounce. If an Israeli wants to immigrate, should they be prevented from becoming a Canadian?

What is the basis of your assertion that the US does not share intelligence information with other allied countries?

For example, they won't share the supposed super double secret information that keeps Arar on the US terrorist list.

Your total hatred for all things American, including me personally?

Oh my, that's silly even for you. Get over yourself already.

But what about special situations like Israel, whose citizenship is difficult to renounce.

What about places like Syria that doesn't recognize a foreign citizenship at all to a person that was born in Syria?

WE are all citizens of the world. Borders are for politicians, the people should be free. This earth shall never know peace as long as governments are able to tell the people what to do. War will rage until the people are empowered to prevent it.

Empowered by whom? And to what end?

War rages within a person, within a family, within a community, a city, a country.

We don't need politicians to make war. We make war because that is what we do. We are humans. We fight. It is part of our instincts as much as making peace is.

[

Empowered by whom? And to what end?

War rages within a person, within a family, within a community, a city, a country.

We don't need politicians to make war. We make war because that is what we do. We are humans. We fight. It is part of our instincts as much as making peace is.

We do not need anyone to empower us to make war. Just look at all of the class struggles that are going on in the world.

The US said that Arar was dangerous because of the info they got from either RCMP or CSIS, so why haven't we heard what their reasons for making him a terrorist? Arar was living here in Canada and when ask to be sent back to Canada the US said no and shipped him to Syria knowing for well what would happen to all they sent there. We all know why Wilkins is saying what he's saying, the lawsuit that Arar has against the US govt.