So who is your pick for the Liberals?

No, we just don't like it when Ontario tells us how to deal with Carbon dioxide, yet ask government for protections for the auto-industry since it will hurt Ontario's economy. :rolleyes:

I believe after Kyoto the government gave the auto industry an exemption, tell me how that makes sense.

Albertan's do care about climate change, its just they want policies that will affect everyone equally, and doesn't hurt one province over the other.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we just don't like it when Ontario tells us how to deal with Carbon dioxide,

Ah, playing the old divisive "us vs. them" card. Not unexpected.

Albertan's do care about climate change, its just they want policies that will affect everyone equally, and doesn't hurt one province over the other.

You and Geoffrey assume that a carbon tax would affect Alberta the most. Geoffrey has even let his partisan hackery peek through by calling any politician who would support a carbon tax "anti-Albertan".

The fact is that a carbon tax could, and should, be structured so we all pay. At the pump.

And if it affects the industries that produce a lot of C02, so be it. Perhaps that's what's needed now.

That's "pro-World", not "anti-Alberta".

Dion will get my vote if he wins. We need a carbon tax, and much much more.

Obviously dyed-in-the-wool rightwing Reform/Alliance types will accuse such a thing of being "anti-Alberta", but that type of person puts partisanship and divisiveness above genuine concern for an important issue like Global Warming.

You and Geoffrey assume that a carbon tax would affect Alberta the most. Geoffrey has even let his partisan hackery peek through by calling any politician who would support a carbon tax "anti-Albertan".

I'm a partisan hack? I'm not voting for either the CPC or the Liberals in the next election. I'm no partisan, I'm someone that looks out for my own interests, and so shoudl the rest of Albertans.

The fact is that a carbon tax could, and should, be structured so we all pay. At the pump.

And if it affects the industries that produce a lot of C02, so be it. Perhaps that's what's needed now.

That's "pro-World", not "anti-Alberta".

We already pay an excise tax on gasoline. You want to raise gas prices? Try to run an election on raising gas prices. It shows your type are out of touch with the realities of the situation that most Canadians live in.

What about food prices? Retail products? Your prepared to cover the additional expense of transportation in those areas too?!

If you explain your concept of a "carbon tax" without spin or bullshit, you would never win an election in Canada or anywhere in the world.

There is technology out there that allows us to fight CO2 emissions, or at least, mitigate them. Let's implement them. Not tax consumption.

If CO2 emissions are the real issue, and they are for me, but aren't for environmentalists... then we can address emissions by simply creating more carbon sinks... let's get out there and plant some trees. Done deal.

Anyways, the Liberal convention allowed the party to express their desire, extend an olive branch to the West and elect their candidate (who's also a strong Ontarian) or return to their Quebec fetish. They chose the later. The Liberal party, and more recently the CPC as well, have little interest in representing or even understanding western issues.

Is anyone else watching CTV? The way they're conducting interviews from the convention floor, you would think the federal Liberals didn't have a single member that speaks English!

God, I hope they keep showing this to Western Canada. It should be effective in scaring English-speaking, western Canadians away from the Liberals more effectively than the CPC ever could.

You must think Western Canadians are simple-minded idiots if you think they're frightened by someone speaking a language other than English.

Winnipeg has a very large French-Canadian population. We have no problem with it. Who are these Western Canadians who would be scared by someone speaking French? Albertans? Not another Alberta-basher...there's one already active in this topic.

Is anyone else watching CTV? The way they're conducting interviews from the convention floor, you would think the federal Liberals didn't have a single member that speaks English!

God, I hope they keep showing this to Western Canada. It should be effective in scaring English-speaking, western Canadians away from the Liberals more effectively than the CPC ever could.

You must think Western Canadians are simple-minded idiots if you think they're frightened by someone speaking a language other than English.

Winnipeg has a very large French-Canadian population. We have no problem with it. Who are these Western Canadians who would be scared by someone speaking French? Albertans? Not another Alberta-basher...there's one already active in this topic.

No one is afraid of French. We are just frustrated that a minority of the population gets a majority of the political attention. The West is bigger than Quebec, but you'd never know it as an outsider looking at Canadian politics.

No, were frightened by somebody who may be incompetent running the country for the next 8 years, and has the arrogance of PET.

I never noticed much french bashing, I mean we don't like Liberal's. But the Liberal's did destroy Alberta's economy and didn't really give a f$#@ since Alberta would never vote for them.

No, we just don't like it when Ontario tells us how to deal with Carbon dioxide,

Ah, playing the old divisive "us vs. them" card. Not unexpected.

Liberal's have been the most divisive party in the past half century. Look at Pierre Trudeau, he took away basic freedoms, and destroyed Alberta's economy. Then theirs Jean Chretien who said "Albertan's are a different type" and rallied against the "scary Albertan's". The Liberal's have won on the strategy of divide and conqeur.

Well, as long as their is an exception for the Ontario Auto Industry. The Liberal's don't want to lose votes in Ontario. How about this why don't we implement harder auto emissions standards similar to California.

Gerry, you have no clue what you speak about. Albertans hate when any primarily french speaking Liberal leader comes on tv and tells us how he is concerned about all of Canada. It is seen as a load of BS and increases the divide between Alberta and the ROC (mainly Ontario and Kwebek).

Another Alberta-basher? Have you even looked at my tag line? I simply have no use for you pro-liberal, anti-Albertan types. YOUR party just had it's previous leader (Crouton) stating that the Lib's were the "anti-war party. Who the hell put Canadian soldiers in Afganistan? Crouton just lied....again.

Keep voting Liberal, Gerry. Keep thumbing your nose at Alberta. It won't be long before Alberta shows you how we deal with our own interests.

I especially enjoy Chretien yapping about how commited he was to the environment.

George W. Bush has a significantly better environmental record than the Chrieten government.

This is the essiential failure of the Liberals. They believe in paper and policy. Canadian's believe in results. The only results oriented candidate was Kennedy, but instead they chose a flaky policy hack (supported by Kennedy none the less).

Signing Kyoto doesn't make you environmentally responsible. The Liberals turned their back on Canadians and the future by their environmental neglect. NOTHING was ever actually done beside putting Mercer on TV.

The Liberal answer to global warming is to tax the hell out of their financial packhorse, Alberta. Heaven forbid they should impose any form of tax on vote-rich Ontario or the constant squealing Kwebek. The wouldn't dare, and would probably justify that by saying that Kwebek should not be held under punishing policies. They have no hope of winning any Alberta seats anyway, so they don't have to worry about pissing anyone off. Little Cruton (Dion) will continue down this path if given the chance.

Gerry, you want to know if I'm anti-Albertan? No. I'm anti-Canadian.

Ignatieff has too much that could go against him in an election. I think they'll pick Dion as the leader.

Unfortunately, I think Ignatieff would be a better leader if he were only given a chance.

Both are bad news for the country.

We'll know in 20 minutes which bad news is coming.

For now, we have Rex Murphy yapping about the return of the natural governing party.

Ignatieff has too much that could go against him in an election. I think they'll pick Dion as the leader.

Unfortunately, I think Ignatieff would be a better leader if he were only given a chance.

Both are bad news for the country.

We'll know in 20 minutes which bad news is coming.

For now, we have Rex Murphy yapping about the return of the natural governing party.

Why would Dion be bad news? I must admit, I know little to nothing about him.

I'm disappointed that Kennedy didn't do better in the Convention - I agree, though, that he is the Leader-In-Waiting. Of the two that are left, I would much prefer Dion to Iggy.

Rex Murphy is spouting off comparing PET to John Paul II, JFK, etc, then bringing in Justin Trudeau as the one to watch. Justin Trudeau hasn't shown any inclination to enter politics, but I wonder if Gerard Kennedy would have a chance if JT were to run in the next convention.

So Geoffrey, do you still want your province staying in Canada if either of the Liberal hopefuls win?

Yes. But, like under any leader, it's got to be on our terms. Quebec dictates it's place in Canada, Alberta needs to do the same. We have the additional financial power that Quebec does not as well, if anything it should be easier for us.

30% of the jobs in Canada last year were created in Calgary. That's alot of political clout that is currently ignored.

I'm disappointed that Kennedy didn't do better in the Convention - I agree, though, that he is the Leader-In-Waiting. Of the two that are left, I would much prefer Dion to Iggy.

Rex Murphy is spouting off comparing PET to John Paul II, JFK, etc, then bringing in Justin Trudeau as the one to watch. Justin Trudeau hasn't shown any inclination to enter politics, but I wonder if Gerard Kennedy would have a chance if JT were to run in the next convention.

I believe Kennedy would win against Justin. Justin is all style and no substance, though that forumla worked for his father, it won't work anymore.

He can't play the divisive politics that daddy did. Daddy destroyed the nation's unity permenantly, anything in that regard from Justin would just completely end the notion of a functional Canada. I think most Liberals understand that... at least I hope they understand that.

It's disturbing. My views politically could fit in either the CPC or the Liberals in various areas. As an Albertan though, I'll never really have the option to vote Liberal as I couldn't stomach voting for a party that thinks relevance ends somewhere between Kenora and Winnipeg.

If Kennedy were elected today, that would have changed my mind. A western born Liberal leader? Yikes. The Liberals need someone that understands Alberta, and the rest of the West, and that's Kennedy. He also has great appeal to Ontario, where the Liberals desperately need votes.

And instead... they're going to pick Dion (once a prime advertising time opens up to actually make the announcement). A pure bow to Quebec, as usual. Typical Liberal, and it won't win my vote.

Geoffrey, I must admit that I admire your devotion to Canada. You are one of the very few Albertans that I have spoken to that still holds a hope (regardless of how small) that Canada can survive if the Liberals take power again.

Just heard it....Dion just won.

If the Lib's ever take power again, it's over for Alberta.

Geoffrey, I must admit that I admire your devotion to Canada. You are one of the very few Albertans that I have spoken to that still holds a hope (regardless of how small) that Canada can survive if the Liberals take power again.

Just heard it....Dion just won.

If the Lib's ever take power again, it's over for Alberta.

Well, I know Dion will not form a government. He has no Ontario appeal whatsoever, is hated in Quebec and the West doesn't like people that don't speak English.

So don't worry, Dion isn't coming for our money, he'll never be PM.