Latest Canadian Political Poll

jdobbin

The Conservatives are up in this poll from the poll that Decima released the week before last.

Let's move past jdobbin's *bash* *bash* *bash* the Conservatives and look at this poll closely.

Every party, but the NDP, is up since the last Decima poll.

The intersting part of this poll is the NDP being down 5 points in less than two weeks. Is the Green Party really withing striking distance of the NDP? Wouldn't that be interesting if the Greens finally got into parliament at the expense of the NDP?

The Conservatives are up in this poll from the poll that Decima released the week before last.

Let's move past jdobbin's *bash* *bash* *bash* the Conservatives and look at this poll closely.

The intersting part of this poll is the NDP being down 5 points in less than two weeks. Is the Green Party really withing striking distance of the NDP? Wouldn't that be interesting if the Greens finally got into parliament at the expense of the NDP?

You continue to cheerlead the Conservatives. I've just said that it doesn't look like a majority. How is that bashing?

And the Greens have definitely taken a higher pecentage. I don't know what the break down is but they did very well in the last election in Alberta. Not a threat to the Conservatives but surprising that it was larger percentage than green B.C.

Excuse my almost total ignorance of Canadian politics (I couldn't find the igloo in Ottawa on Parliament Hill). However, wouldn't the initial result of Green gains (at the expense of the NDP) to favor Liberal or CPC candidates? I thought FPTP would pretty much ensure that the Greens' reduction of NDP strength in any riding would boost the chance of other, less dissimilar rivals? Isn't that how Kim Campbell's PCPC went from somewhere in the 170's to 2 ridings in one day?

Excuse my almost total ignorance of Canadian politics (I couldn't find the igloo in Ottawa on Parliament Hill). However, wouldn't the initial result of Green gains (at the expense of the NDP) to favor Liberal or CPC candidates? I thought FPTP would pretty much ensure that the Greens' reduction of NDP strength in any riding would boost the chance of other, less dissimilar rivals? Isn't that how Kim Campbell's PCPC went from somewhere in the 170's to 2 ridings in one day?

That's why you need to see a breakdown of Green take in the polls. Did they take a percent from everyone. Did it come in one province? Did it come at the expense of one party? People assume it was the NDP. Could it have been the Liberals? Did they take votes from the Bloq?

Is this all temporary because they have elected a well known environmentalist and friend of Bill Clinton? Who knows. A few more polls, a bye-election and maybe this story will take on some new significance.

That's why you need to see a breakdown of Green take in the polls. Did they take a percent from everyone. Did it come in one province? Did it come at the expense of one party? People assume it was the NDP. Could it have been the Liberals? Did they take votes from the Bloq?

Is this all temporary because they have elected a well known environmentalist and friend of Bill Clinton? Who knows. A few more polls, a bye-election and maybe this story will take on some new significance.

Thanks. I barely know where Canada is on the map. Every bit of information helps.

You continue to cheerlead the Conservatives. I've just said that it doesn't look like a majority. How is that bashing?

Your sub-headline was:

Conservatives way down in Quebec

That was bashing by ignoring the facts and the bigger part of the story. What was that you say? Hmmm, they weren't way down in Quebec from the last Decima poll and objectively the loss of NDP support was a much bigger story in that poll.

Kinda like the CBC, ignoring the bigger story just to make the Conservatives look bad. :lol:

Your sub-headline was:
Conservatives way down in Quebec

That was bashing by ignoring the facts and the bigger part of the story. What was that you say? Hmmm, they weren't way down in Quebec from the last Decima poll and objectively the loss of NDP support was a much bigger story in that poll.

Kinda like the CBC, ignoring the bigger story just to make the Conservatives look bad. :lol:

They are way down in Quebec. That is exactly what the the pollster said. It is one large component of the story. That, and the fact that such poll numbers suggest a minority goverment continuing if there is an election. It isn't bashing.

The Tories are 5% down from the election in this latest poll.

I made no other comment other than what was in the story.

100% correct.

Polls from Quebec in between elections are just not worthy of a whole lot of discussion. Quebec has huge shifts in public opinion on a daily basis and it really is a fickle province when it comes to agreeing on anything. The back and forth see saw in polls means absolutely nothing in what their true political feeling lie. This is one province that stategic voting by the people is done come election time. I do not see them forgiving the liberal for some time to come and the fact that Harper has made being in Canada more appetizing for many, I would have to say that come the next election, quebec will be even more for the CPC then the LIB, while still keeping a strong Bloc presence. Once the Lib's have elected their new leader watch quebec, sharpen its teeth on his hide and they will have a lot of anger that they have let build up, so they can have a target to let fly. Their silence while the Lib's find a new leader tells volumes as far as I am concerned. It is the inner turmoil and the churn of such that makes me wonder and wait, to see just when and where it erupts.

Attempts by CPC shills to dismiss any commentary as "Harper-hating" and "bashing" are just getting more and more pathetic. It's sad when you get so defensive that you dismiss anything remotely resembling criticism (and even that which isn't criticism at all) as bashing. It looks like you're being overly defensive and, if so, why?

As someone who is definately not a Harperite and not particularly a conservative voter ....

(I have voted for the Progressive Conservatives, Once for Pat Boyer because he struck me as principled and once for Barbara McDougal because she came to my door and she showed some cleavage...I'm a sucker for cleavage...that and she lisped slightly, her red lips curled as she asked me for my support, my heart melting at her ernest request as I gazed on her heaving blush bosom......but I wander...)

.....I was quite pleased that the Retread Tories did so well in quebec at the expense of Duceppe and his bunch of idiots.....unfortunately federal policies like Afghanistan and the pandering to the knee jerk social conservatives don't fly well in the Belle province. Quebecers will support a progressive conservative platform, but not a mouth breathing one.

Look at the entirety of the post you snipped that quote from.

The Conservatives are actually up from the previous Decima poll, which jdobbin also posted on this thread.

If you look at just the part you quoted it is easy to paint me as being overly defensive. But in the context of the post, and a later post, I explained how the sub-headline was unfair and how the drop in NDP support was the bigger story.

I wasn't dismissing the commentary because there wasn't much to speak of in the original post. jdobbin has made those points over and over and over again on the board.

If you let your enemies continually attack without fighting back they set the agenda. Something Harper proved very adept at avoiding in the last election.

Attempts by CPC shills to dismiss any commentary as "Harper-hating" and "bashing" are just getting more and more pathetic. It's sad when you get so defensive that you dismiss anything remotely resembling criticism (and even that which isn't criticism at all) as bashing. It looks like you're being overly defensive and, if so, why?

Look at the entirety of the post you snipped that quote from.

The Conservatives are actually up from the previous Decima poll, which jdobbin also posted on this thread.

If you look at just the part you quoted it is easy to paint me as being overly defensive. But in the context of the post, and a later post, I explained how the sub-headline was unfair and how the drop in NDP support was the bigger story.

I wasn't dismissing the commentary because there wasn't much to speak of in the original post. jdobbin has made those points over and over and over again on the board.

If you let your enemies continually attack without fighting back they set the agenda. Something Harper proved very adept at avoiding in the last election.

You attacked without reading what was said. The poll says that support is down in Quebec. This is even relation to the poll held a week before.

You called that bashing. How is bashing?

The last Decima poll is not discussed in the news item linked. The fact (if it's the case...I take your word for it) that they aren't down in Quebec from the last Decima poll is not part of the story.

They are 5 points down from election night, that is part of the story.

And your complaint that "objectively the loss of NDP support was a much bigger part of that poll" does not take into account that the Conservatives are the current government, thus a loss in the polls for them is objectively the most significant portion of the story.

Your complaints of "bashing" by people presenting the facts are eroding what remains of your credibility....and there's not much left so perhaps you should be a little more careful from here on.

Good points, and good question.

But the last Decima poll *was* posted by the same poster.

I wasn't taking issue with the story. Took issue with the post. Try actually reading what I post.

As to credibility gerry. That reminds me of the old story of the pot and the kettle.

The last Decima poll is not discussed in the news item linked. The fact (if it's the case...I take your word for it) that they aren't down in Quebec from the last Decima poll is not part of the story.

They are 5 points down from election night, that is part of the story.

And your complaint that "objectively the loss of NDP support was a much bigger part of that poll" does not take into account that the Conservatives are the current government, thus a loss in the polls for them is objectively the most significant portion of the story.

Your complaints of "bashing" by people presenting the facts are eroding what remains of your credibility....and there's not much left so perhaps you should be a little more careful from here on.

I wasn't taking issue with the story. Took issue with the post. Try actually reading what I post.

The new poll is still accurate that Tory support is down in Quebec even with respect to the last poll.

You bashed that statement even though that is exactly what the article said.

The new poll is still accurate that Tory support is down in Quebec even with respect to the last poll.

Here's my response in its entirety. Feel free to show how I was bashing you.

Bash, bash, bash, bash.

The proof is the proof. Good work jdobbin! :lol:

Your response is a perfect example of the open-mindedness and commitment to considering others opinions that lead to the Liberals doing so well in the last election.

The proof is the proof. Good work jdobbin! :lol:

Your response is a perfect example of the open-mindedness and commitment to considering others opinions that lead to the Liberals doing so well in the last election.

That is what you wrote. You asked me to point out where you were bashing. That was it. Don't you recognize your own words?

Everyone who has read your reponse can see it was bashing.

Not in this post is wasn't, therefore your complaint is empty.

You took issue that the post was not objectively reflecting the story.

How about a little good faith debate from you. This other act of yours is getting old.

Good grief. I know I just asked, but again please exercise a little good faith. It's a waste of everyone's time to put up with these purposely ignorant posts of yours.

He did not claim you bashed "him". You bashed his commentary on the article. To claim otherwise is beyond ridiculous.