The Atlantica Party

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With what money? At least Alberta and Quebec can threaten removal from equalisation and things like that. Atlantic Canada is 3rd world without the rest of Canada, they have no real regional power besides politically correct decisions to gain a few (over-represented) seats.

With what money? At least Alberta and Quebec can threaten removal from equalisation and things like that. Atlantic Canada is 3rd world without the rest of Canada, they have no real regional power besides politically correct decisions to gain a few (over-represented) seats.

Atlantica is simply a concept dreamed up by corporations like the Irving's so that they can more readily move things across the U.S./Canada border. A mini-FTA if you will. This is a concept not only about the Atlantic provinces, but a good part of southern Quebec, and parts of Ontario, as well as the Northeasten United States, like Maine, NH, MA, NY, VT. etc.

We just had a conference on this issue held in Saint John, NB at which admission fee was $600.00 per person, and just like the APEC Summit in BC, peaceful protestors were arrested. This is not a concept or political party that should be supported, because one of the goals of Atlantica is the lowering of labour standards to the lowest common denominator. Mr. Irving and his political lap-dogs including the Premier of New Brunswick, Bernard Lord think that this is a great concept. Well if anyone knows anything about the Irving's they do nothing unless there is something in it for themselves. Greed is what motivates proponents of Atlantica.

Atlantica is simply a concept dreamed up by corporations like the Irving's so that they can more readily move things across the U.S./Canada border. A mini-FTA if you will. This is a concept not only about the Atlantic provinces, but a good part of southern Quebec, and parts of Ontario, as well as the Northeasten United States, like Maine, NH, MA, NY, VT. etc.

We just had a conference on this issue held in Saint John, NB at which admission fee was $600.00 per person, and just like the APEC Summit in BC, peaceful protestors were arrested. This is not a concept or political party that should be supported, because one of the goals of Atlantica is the lowering of labour standards to the lowest common denominator. Mr. Irving and his political lap-dogs including the Premier of New Brunswick, Bernard Lord think that this is a great concept. Well if anyone knows anything about the Irving's they do nothing unless there is something in it for themselves. Greed is what motivates proponents of Atlantica.

Hello,

The Atlantica Party is not affiliated with AIMS or the Atlantica Economic Region concept. We are private citizens seeking reform of our electoral and political systems. Please see our web site.

Thank you.

The Atlantica Party Executive

Hello,

The Atlantica Party is not affiliated with AIMS or the Atlantica Economic Region concept. We are private citizens seeking reform of our electoral and political systems. Please see our web site.

Thank you.

The "Atlantica Party Executive".......APE......sounds like some east coast monkey business to me. :rolleyes:

Quebec is a equalization receiver. The maritimes wouldnt be third world, services would suffer greatly though.

"they have no real regional power "

That was and still is the problem with maritime confederation with Canada.

Everytime the maritimes try to come up with a way to fix our provinces we get ridiculed and basically told to go back and play the fiddle. Nova Scotia should have never had joined confederation in 1867.

"the scheme [confederation with Canada] by them assented to would, if adopted, deprive the people [of Nova Scotia] of the inestimable privilege of self-government, and of their rights, liberty, and independence, rob them of their revenue, take from them the regulation of trade and taxation, expose them to arbitrary taxation by a legislature over which they have no control, and in which they would possess but a nominal and entirely ineffective representation; deprive them of their invaluable fisheries, railroads, and other property, and reduce this hitherto free, happy, and self-governed province to a degraded condition of a servile dependency of Canada."

Excerpted from the Address to the Crown by the Government, from the Journal of the House of Assembly, Province of Nova Scotia, 1868

Federalism is Feudalism. The nation's leaders are the Lords and Ladies, and here are the provinces, and the private citizens, down at the bottom of the pyramid--wanting to be free.

The people have become dependent, and thus enslaved, by the government. Even the municipalities depend on handouts from the provinces, as do the provinces depend on handouts from the federal government. As do the federal government depend on handouts--FORCEFULLY TAKEN HANDOUTS--from the private citizens.

Let's just cut out all the middle part and let people manage their own money. It can be done more efficiently, and with less beurocracy, and more freedom.

Free the Maritimes, Free the West, Free Quebec, Free all People all together. If an individual wants to be a part of a social safety net, let him sign up for one--don't force 32 million into one big federal monstrocity, even if you're trying to "protect" them, economically or otherwise. I feel like you Maritimers feel; Count me out!

I will certainly check out your party's website. Here's another one you may find interest in:

LPC

Hopefully you'll find some common ideals. As well as some people who may be interested in activism for your cause.

Nova Scotia should have never had joined confederation in 1867.
Interesting. Little Prince Edward Island did not.

One of the biggest Canadian history lessons that I learned was skepticism and doubt: in a Prince Edward Island museum. They had a dramatization of the signing of Confederation. It was portrayed as a great big party in Charlottetown -- but not all provinces signed on. I thought: "Hmmmmm...... Here we have the host province, P.E.I., abstaining from Confederation..... What EXACTLY was going on here???? There has to be more to this story...." It looked too much like a great big business deal. If tiny little P.E.I. was able to abstain from Confederation, why did the other provinces sign on? What (and at whose expense) did they trade?

It all goes back to size of government: the bigger the government, the less representation the citizens have.

Everytime the maritimes try to come up with a way to fix our provinces we get ridiculed and basically told to go back and play the fiddle.

Last year PEI had a chance to be a leader in electoral reform.

After several years of study,it had all culminated in a recommendation that the province adopt a Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP) system as well as moved to elections being held on a fixed 4-year schedule.

The opportunity was there to begin reform,Canada watched,PEI said No.

The ones that like playing the fiddle appears to be the Maritimers themselves.

Everytime the maritimes try to come up with a way to fix our provinces we get ridiculed and basically told to go back and play the fiddle.

Last year PEI had a chance to be a leader in electoral reform.

After several years of study,it had all culminated in a recommendation that the province adopt a Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP) system as well as moved to elections being held on a fixed 4-year schedule.

The opportunity was there to begin reform,Canada watched,PEI said No.

The ones that like playing the fiddle appears to be the Maritimers themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Atlantic Canadians are generally a backward bunch. However when a reform effort is undertaken - no matter how small - it should be supported.

P.s I am not a member of the Atlantica Party...not yet anyway. :P

• 2 weeks later...

3rd world?!? Maybe Atlantic Canada might not be as prosperous as Alberta or Ontario but to say third world is pushing it beyond the lines of extreme. With oil and gas in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, the nickel and iron ore mines in Lbarador, a revamped fishery that doesn't have have to deal with the federal goverment of Canada, argiculture especially in the Maritimes, potential hydro in Labrador and a possible revamp of the bad Lower Churchill deal with Quebec. And this is just off the top of my head.

It's sad to hear the arrogance of similar minded people like yourself in Alberta and Ontario that continue to put down Atlantic Canada and make it sound like a second class part of Canada.

3rd world?!? Maybe Atlantic Canada might not be as prosperous as Alberta or Ontario but to say third world is pushing it beyond the lines of extreme. With oil and gas in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, the nickel and iron ore mines in Lbarador, a revamped fishery that doesn't have have to deal with the federal goverment of Canada, argiculture especially in the Maritimes, potential hydro in Labrador and a possible revamp of the bad Lower Churchill deal with Quebec. And this is just off the top of my head.

It's sad to hear the arrogance of similar minded people like yourself in Alberta and Ontario that contine to put down Atlantic Canada and make it sound like a second class part of Canada.

Unfortunately it is second class. The have unemployment higher than any western nation I can find, do you really think they'd be prosperous. Half of Newfoundland's expenditures are covered by equalisation payments from, you guessed it, Ontario and Alberta.

The Maritimes aren't economically viable in their current nanny state setup.

I can understand why seperation would be a developing sentiment, it is Ottawa that has caused all the trouble in the Maritimes through their over-zealous welfare schemes. But you no longer have the economic base to seperate. They've kept you poor to keep you in Canada. Tradgic really.

A new party representing the region of Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New

Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Electoral Reform

Political Reform

Regional Reform

www.atlanticaparty.ca

First off it doesn't specifically mention Newfoundland/ Labrador, but it does mention Quebec, and the Southern part of Ontario, as well as the New England States. Other than the New England States how is that any different than what we have right now under the FTA?

The really suspicious and scary part of theis initiative is the fact that Irving was the major sponsor of the confernece held in Saint John, New Brunswick not all that long ago. The admission fee was I believe $600.00 to hear how the Irving's and other corporations wer planning to screww the people all in the name of profit. The Irving'sd jhave never done one thing unles there was someting in it for them. I speak specifically about the demanded LNG Property Tax concession from the City of Saint John, and it had to be approved by midnight or else. Bernard Lord jumped right on the band-wagon to pass legislation to allow it to happen. While everywhere in North America where and LNG Terminal is being proposed or has already been built the owners have paid $Millions per year to the host community. Mr. Irving in his generosity has coericed city council and the province to allow him to pay $500,000.00 per year for 25 years, when the estimated property tax for this terminal would have been in the vacinity of $6 Million per year. Wow, what a gererous man, and now the Irving's want us to believe that Atlantica will be good for Atlantic Canada. The truth is probably more like it will be good profit-wise for the Irving's and other multinational corporations. Atlantic Canada is the last thing they are thinking about, instead they are thinking about how much extra profit can be put into the bank account off-shore where the Canadian taxman cannot touch it.

By the way right after the LNG Tax Deal was approved this same city council is talking about raising the taxes on ordinary property owners because they cannot afford to fix either the streets or the other infrastructure. And this same Mayor was a proponent of Atlantica as well.

Hello,

If Easterners are 'backward', 'third world', with no economy and no political power are these not even more reasons to reform our systems, political and electoral and give serious consideration to our place in Confederation? Easterners where none of those things in 1867. If we are all of these things today then who is to blame?

Also we are not affiliated in any way with AIMS, we are private citizens who are going to make a difference. Please check out the web site www.atlanticaparty.ca

The Atlantica Party Executive.

Hello,

If Easterners are 'backward', 'third world', with no economy and no political power are these not even more reasons to reform our systems, political and electoral and give serious consideration to our place in Confederation? Easterners where none of those things in 1867. If we are all of these things today then who is to blame?

Also we are not affiliated in any way with AIMS, we are private citizens who are going to make a difference. Please check out the web site www.atlanticaparty.ca

The Atlantica Party Executive.

You are still in violation of the copyright act with your website. Cease and desist with the illustrations that you have no permission to use.

Unfortunately it is second class. The have unemployment higher than any western nation I can find, do you really think they'd be prosperous. Half of Newfoundland's expenditures are covered by equalisation payments from, you guessed it, Ontario and Alberta.

The Maritimes aren't economically viable in their current nanny state setup.

I can understand why seperation would be a developing sentiment, it is Ottawa that has caused all the trouble in the Maritimes through their over-zealous welfare schemes. But you no longer have the economic base to seperate. They've kept you poor to keep you in Canada. Tradgic really.

And within these Wetsren nations (I wonder how many you are referring to,) have you also broken down the regional unemployment rates because the best way would be to compare the regions within these nations not the nations themselves to get an accurate comparsion.

And I do blame the government of Canada for keeping prosperity down in the Atlantic region, but not for the reasons you suggest, which in my opinion you have exaggerated. It's the mismanagement of the resources of the Atlantic region, such as mismanagement and the government's willingness to use the fish stocks as a bartering chip with other nations to boost trade (especially for the manufacturing region in Central Canada) with the Atlantic's fishery being the sacrificial lamb. The Federal govt often favoured other provinces over the Atlantic regions for political reasons. For example, when Newfoundland tried to change the terrible deal with Quebec over Churchill Falls in which Quebec reaped huge profits and Newfoundland got virtually nothing, the federal govt. supported Quebec's position through the 70s, 80s and 90s, even though they could see that Newfoundland needed the extra revenues badly.

I also blame many of the businesses that have come here over the years demanding huge tax incentives to setup here, all the while paying lower wages then comparable jobs in central and western Canada and often getting up and leaving when the tax incentives and breaks stopped. In regards to the oil industry, if Newfoundland got the sweet-heart deal in royalties that Alberta received from the oil companies, Newfoundland would be very close to a have province. Recently, the Newfoundland govt. requested a better deal with the Hebron oil field with the oil companies but they refused, though they are making billions of profits off Hibernia and Terra Nova.

Again, Atlantic Canada is not second class, the only thing second class are people's attitudes in the rest of the country (not all but enough to be irritating) that Atlantic Canada is a nanny-state.

And in regards to the oil industry, would one sacrifice prosperity for the people of the Atlantic region (and the region itself in regards to better infrastructure, healthcare and the like) so that the shareholders can get a higher ROI? I think most people with a conscience would say no.

I also blame many of the businesses that have come here over the years demanding huge tax incentives to setup here, all the while paying lower wages then comparable jobs in central and western Canada and often getting up and leaving when the tax incentives and breaks stopped. In regards to the oil industry, if Newfoundland got the sweet-heart deal in royalties that Alberta received from the oil companies, Newfoundland would be very close to a have province. Recently, the Newfoundland govt. requested a better deal with the Hebron oil field with the oil companies but they refused, though they are making billions of profits off Hibernia and Terra Nova.

Newfoundland's tax the hell out of oil policy sure works doesn't it. Alberta gets far less per barrel of oil than Newfoundland, that's why we are rich, because we have low taxes and low royalties. You'll see that trend throughout Canada.

They should be making billion in profit off those platforms, they paid alot to build them and they employ alot of people in an area that doesn't have many jobs.

Do you think you attract business and jobs with higher taxes and agreements that send more money to Newfoundland than the companies? Don't think so, the Maritimes haven't learnt that lesson yet.

Newfoundland's tax the hell out of oil policy sure works doesn't it. Alberta gets far less per barrel of oil than Newfoundland, that's why we are rich, because we have low taxes and low royalties. You'll see that trend throughout Canada.

They should be making billion in profit off those platforms, they paid alot to build them and they employ alot of people in an area that doesn't have many jobs.

Do you think you attract business and jobs with higher taxes and agreements that send more money to Newfoundland than the companies? Don't think so, the Maritimes haven't learnt that lesson yet.

Alberta has lower royalties then Newfoundland? Well not as far as I can tell. Here is a few excerpts from the following article: Williams pushes hard against Exxon

Alberta is now looking for increased royalties, enhanced royalties, but the interesting thing is when Alberta looks for it, nobody minds that," Mr. Williams said.

"But if Newfoundland and Labrador wants to get a little more, then it's seen as a grab, and I've got to say I resent that."

In Alberta, oil companies pay only one per cent of royalties on production from new plants until their production costs are fully recovered. But after that, the province receives 25 per cent of net revenues.

Newfoundland receives less than 5 per cent in royalties from Hibernia, Mr. Williams said.

It also found that operating costs of the project were 57 per cent, or $2.4-billion less, than the company's projections, that production has nearly doubled and that the oil field's life has been extended from 18 years to approximately 30 years.

The Premier, who has been embroiled in a dispute for three months with Exxon Mobil over royalties from the Hebron offshore project, said the audit offers ample proof that the company is raking in more money than it claims and that it's time it shares the wealth with the province.

So you see; you are mistaken in your observations.