Climbing Mount Everest

What an accomplishment!! Mark Inglis, a double amputee, made it to the top of Mount Everest!!!

Oh yeah ... and three Sherpas were with him at the top. They're some sort of animal aren't they? Otherwise why aren't we seeing THEIR pictures, reading THEIR names? Must be some sort of Nepalese donkey or something.

What a damned travesty.

Those Sherpas climb the damned mountain 10 times a year, showing these slackers the way up, carrying the rich white men's oxygen, tents, food, camping gear, change of clothes etc etc etc.

They set up camp every night, cook the rich white men's food & for all we know, sharpened up Inglis's artificial foot-claws.

But are they lauded? Nope ... just "Sherpas".

All the bloody rich white men have to do is put one foot in front of the other & hope their body doesn't give in with altitude sickness ... but they get their pictures in the paper (who is up there TAKING this picture? The Sherpa- donkey) & they actually think that they accomplished something.

I say .... let's have an open race to the top & back. Want to lay bets the first 25 names on the list would be Nepalese ... those pesky Sherpas? Oh yeah. With their oxygen tanks tied behind their backs.

Great rant!

Always a pleasure to read a good one that has some justification in it. :D

A couple of points though, not that they take away from the above work of art however, Inglis would be able to hold his ground where Sherpas could not. Without him, they would have been either taking some other person who was paying their way or, they would be scapping out a living hip deep in lama dung on some windy mountainside somewhere.

My career has gone from legless mountaineer and ski guide, to research scientist after graduating with a first class honours degree in human biochemistry. That career evolved into winemaking with New Zealand's leading winemaker, Montana wines. Only recently after 10 years with Montana developing internationally acclaimed wines such as Lindauer, Deutz and all the fantastic Marlborough classics like Sauvignon Blanc, I have struck out in new directions, writing and inspiring people to excel.

Equally as exciting I have been busy skiing internationally in the early 1990's, cycling with a passion culminating in a Silver medal on the track in the Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games. More recently the mountains have called again, with summiting Aoraki/Mount Cook in January of 2002, a highlight of my life. In recognition of this, I received the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2003 for services to disabled people - people who I see as having not a lack of ability, just a different opportunity.

Most recently I successfully conquered the 6th highest mountain in the world, Cho Oyu (8201m) and have now become the first double amputee to have summited an 8000m peak.

Great rant!

A couple of points though, not that they take away from the above work of art however, Inglis would be able to hold his ground where Sherpas could not. Without him, they would have been either taking some other person who was paying their way or, they would be scapping out a living hip deep in lama dung on some windy mountainside somewhere.

Well the Sherpas could hold their ground as well if someone suplied them with foot claws. Inglis didn't actually make them himself, I assume.

And yes I agree that the idiocy of these mountaineers has given some Nepalese a good living. If the mountaineers just climbed & enjoyed themselves I'd say fine. What the hell ... a good few days outing.

It's the sheer stupidity of their pretense that they accomplished some great athletic feat that gets me.

Hell I could win Boston Marathon if a Kenyan Sherpa would carry me over the line.

Great rant!

Well the Sherpas could hold their ground as well if someone suplied them with foot claws. Inglis didn't actually make them himself, I assume.

And yes I agree that the idiocy of these mountaineers has given some Nepalese a good living. If the mountaineers just climbed & enjoyed themselves I'd say fine. What the hell ... a good few days outing.

It's the sheer stupidity of their pretense that they accomplished some great athletic feat that gets me.

Hell I could win Boston Marathon if a Kenyan Sherpa would carry me over the line.

I wholeheartedly agree.

In many cases sure. That postal worker that died in 96 I would certainly make an exception to though. He was driven and was actually turned back in a previous expedition a few hundred feet from the top. He went back again on his own dime for whatever reason. I am certain it wasn't fame but rather a dream to be there.

You can't get there any other way than by climbing. Helecpoters won't work at that altitude and parachuting in is certainly not an option hence, those who simply wish to be there are lumped in with those who wish to brag they climbed and, those who wish to do it with no legs, blind, oldest woman man dog or camel for that matter. And, those who are pure, like heavilly subsidized Hillary.

Most people just remember who was first.

They say it was George Mallory and Andrew Irvine, in 1924.

I say there were thousands of Nepalese kids who did it, just for a lark, long before that.

Might have been but Hillary and Norga are the first we know of who did it for sure. I didn't think Sherpas climbed for a lark. They have more sense.

I didn't think Sherpas climbed for a lark. They have more sense.

Look what I found:

"The use of bottled oxygen to ascend Mount Everest has been extremely controversial. George Mallory himself described the use of such oxygen as unsportsmanlike.

Reinhold Messner was the first climber to break the bottled oxygen tradition. In 1978, he and Peter Habeler made the first successful oxygenless climb. Although critics alleged that he sucked mini-bottles of oxygen, Messner silenced them when he summited the mountain, without oxygen or support, on the more difficult Northwest route, in 1980."

Still believe the young men in the area wouldn't attempt it, AND SUCCEED, in order to impress young women?

I know I would.

I didn't think Sherpas climbed for a lark. They have more sense.

Well, according to you, the initial groups of rich white men hiring Sherpas to take them up the mountain had to put up with young Sherpas learning on the job, hunh?

TSK TSK TSK! :rolleyes:

I never said anything of the sort. I was not aware that any Sherpas had claimed to have climbed it on their own. If you are, I'd be interested in hearing about them. I've no doubt they could if they wanted to but trying to make a living in a country 15,000 Ft ASL probably occupies most of their time. Unlike us they probably don't have the leisure time and have people who rely on them not to get killed doing stupid things like climbing mountains for fun.

Some people don't have the same priorities as others. Doesn't make them inferior.

Sherpa's are no more an aid than oxygen. Either way, its somewhat cheating. Having a guide ok, but these climbers don't carry even their fair share of the load.

It is unsportsmanlike, especially the oxygen. Minimizing the effects of altitude really diminishes the challenge of Everest.

It is unsportsmanlike, especially the oxygen. Minimizing the effects of altitude really diminishes the challenge of Everest.

Only a few people are concerned with challenges. Most just wish to get to the top and be there, if only for a moment. Jeeesh, like, if I wanted to be first, I would go and be the first guy to have a Canadian Airborne Flag there. Whatever. Get me there period. Sides, if you wish to do something challenging, K2 is the one, not Everest. You guys keep putting these people down for not being heros and stuff when al they are is tourists who have paid good, bad, easy or hard earned money to be there and say they have. Some might try to say they are heros, others not but that's up to them afterwards, not you.

To me, I wish i had the cash to spare, I'd like to be on the top of the highest mountain on earth once in my life. However, it's not a passion, that one is reserved for Doug Hansen, the postal worker who worked double shifts for years to be put off by Hall once a couple hundred feet from the top and then, two years later went back again. For him, there was no turning back and, he had to get to the top. He knew he wouldn't make it back probably but had to go to be there. At something like 4 pm, he was there on the top by himself, last of the group. No hero to anybody but it was his own dream.

Oh I agree. K2 is a much more challenging climb. So are many climbs in South America and even in Canada/US. Denali is arguably harder than Everest, I'd contend it is. The easy routes on Everest have fixed ropes and ladders over cravasses after all. I'm not trying to dimish the challenge of Everest, because its more than I've done so far, but its not that "hardcore".

I'm more about the challenges, I have a list of at least 20 mountains that I'd rather climb than Everest. Elevation is low on my list of interest, I've had some extremely difficult climbs on mountains that don't even pass 10,000 ft., and one of my easiest has been on one over 12,000.

I'd rather know to myself that I reached near my maximum potential than that I've reached a certain distance/height/depth.

I've had some extremely difficult climbs ...

I'd rather know to myself that I reached near my maximum potential than that I've reached a certain height.

I'll eat my mountain climbing gear if Mr. B***h isn't really MLW's Geoffrey.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.h...bd-88ff1b8bdba1

At the end of the above article Geoff modestly says:

"The timing of my action is the reason it has captured people's attention. These rescues happen in climbing all the time. It's very common. It's not just me, there are lot of climbers who help. It's part of the game. It's the way it should be."

God has already punished that legless climber and I hope he punishes him again. Maybe he'll relieve him of his three remaining limbs this time around. And that's fine with me!

I'd rather know to myself that I reached near my maximum potential than that I've reached a certain height.

My last name doesn't start with B so you better start eatting. :)

My last name doesn't start with B so you better start eatting. :)

Well, if you're not Andrew Brash then you're either Jangbu Sherpa, Phil Crampton or Dan Mazur. I hope.

I like what Dan had to say about the rescue in People magazine (June 19 issue).

He said:

"I wish we hadn't found him up there. I really do. It really f----d up our whole thing. My job is putting people on the summit of Everest. Not rescuing some guy from Sydney, or whatever he is. But we didn't have a second's hesitation about stopping. How could you just walk past someone like that? If you walk past someone like that, you're going to hell, dude, you're going to hell!"

That last sentence ... "IF YOU WALK PAST SOMEONE LIKE THAT, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL, DUDE, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" ... is a message to that legless guy, I'm sure.

http://www.markinglis.co.nz/default2.asp

Please tell us your last name doesn't start with I.

I like what Dan had to say about the rescue in People magazine (June 19 issue).

He said:

"I wish we hadn't found him up there. I really do. It really f----d up our whole thing. My job is putting people on the summit of Everest. Not rescuing some guy from Sydney, or whatever he is. But we didn't have a second's hesitation about stopping. How could you just walk past someone like that? If you walk past someone like that, you're going to hell, dude, you're going to hell!"

Dan Mazur and Lincoln Hall will be on the Today Show together on Monday in America

http://www.everestnews.com/Summitclimb2005...est06082006.htm

I can't wait!

I like what Dan had to say about the rescue.

He said:

That last sentence ... "IF YOU WALK PAST SOMEONE LIKE THAT, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL, DUDE, YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!" ... is a message to that legless guy, I'm sure.

When Dan Mazur was asked if he had any regrets, there AGAIN is a message for Mark Inglis in his reply:

"You can always go back to the summit but you only have one life to live. If we had left the man to die, that would have always been on my mind ... How could you live with yourself?"

If I were in Inglis' shoes I'd have blown my head off by now.

PS - Is it true that Dan and Lincoln are lined up for the Larry King show? I bet you that if Dan was a black man Oprah would have them on in a Chicago minute.

Everest attracts the worst kind of egotistical people. I've met quite a few of these guys. I've spent some time at base camp and climbed part way up the Khumbu Ice Fall. A lot of these guys are very defensive about climbing Everest. They want to be seen as super heros for having paid someone to carry them to the top. They hate the fact that so many people climb the mountain as they feel it diminishes they're own accomplishment. It seems like they derive all their self worth from what others think rather than their own accomplishment. I remember listening to Dave Rodney incorrectly claim that more people have stood on the moon than stood on top of Everest. There is one character who is really full of himself. He sells his own "motivational" posters where he features pictures of himself with his own quotes. When I met him I asked if he climbed the normal route to which he responded, looking down his nose at me, "I prefer to call it the South Route". This guy has a whole bunch of other issues. He's pissed off the entire climbing community by illegally sneaking into Irian Jaya to climb Carstenz then posting the story on the net endangering the poor people he paid off and screwing the chances to climb it for people who were trying to climb it the legal and ethical way. Story

But his Everest summit is in question as well: Story

There are still some solid Everest people. Tim Rippel is a great guy, for one. Pat Morrow is big into help the porters through the IPPG. Goran Kropp was a great guy. He'd make fun of all these people trying to make themselves important by doing some crazy thing on Everest. None of them would walk past an injured climber just to get to the summit.

The Sherpas who reach the top get attention from their people and other teams who need their skills so that must be good enough for them. People climb Everest for their Egos or they climb it because it's their passion. The Sherpas could fall into the passion category..

The Sherpas who reach the top get attention from their people and other teams who need their skills so that must be good enough for them. People climb Everest for their Egos or they climb it because it's their passion. The Sherpas could fall into the passion category..

Nah, I'd say the Sherpa's did it for the moola, intentionally anyways. They never had climbed it until Hillary came along, it was local understanding that climbing mountains was stupid and a waste of time/energy/valuable food. They are sort of right. But now they all do it...

And Biblio, my last name doesn't start with an I either. :lol:

Nah, I'd say the Sherpa's did it for the moola, intentionally anyways. They never had climbed it until Hillary came along, it was local understanding that climbing mountains was stupid and a waste of time/energy/valuable food. They are sort of right. But now they all do it...

And Biblio, my last name doesn't start with an I either. :lol:

This has been my experience with the Sherpa as well. Their main motivation is the huge amounts of money they make. I still think they are proud and climbing Sherpas have a higher status. I was on the mountain when Babu Chiri died and I met some of his team. They were climbing for Nepal, not for clients.