Billy Graham derides "neo-conservative" budget.

So Billy Graham has proven to have absolutely no new ideas of any kind.

All he can do is inaccurately try and call the Government "neo-conservative" without actually showing any understanding of the term.

Sad, sad, sad Billy Graham

Gotta love Harper for the best line of the story.

"In one year, this minister of finance has managed to do what [the Liberal] party never did: produce a budget that matches the election platform we ran on," Harper said

Yet again, another example of the CBC's bias.

The *neo-con* story, clearly an anti-CPC/Stephen Harper story, gets more prominence on the CBC Website than on CTV.ca, The Toronto Star Web site, Canada.com or The Globe and Mail Web site.

tsk, tsk, tsk...

So Billy Graham has proven to have absolutely no new ideas of any kind.

All he can do is inaccurately try and call the Government "neo-conservative" without actually showing any understanding of the term.

Sad, sad, sad Billy Graham

Gotta love Harper for the best line of the story.

"In one year, this minister of finance has managed to do what [the Liberal] party never did: produce a budget that matches the election platform we ran on," Harper said

Yet again, another example of the CBC's bias.

The *neo-con* story, clearly an anti-CPC/Stephen Harper story, gets more prominence on the CBC Website than on CTV.ca, The Toronto Star Web site, Canada.com or The Globe and Mail Web site.

tsk, tsk, tsk...

The Liberals and the NDP will be very wise to oppose this budget. With the Bloc giving support it will be passed and that will be a good thing.

A budget that is all smoke and mirrors, eventually shows itself when the smoke clears and the dust covers the mirrors; and come next tax time Canadians will realize that they've been dooped.

The Liberals and NDP can say, 'well don't blame us'; while the CPC and Bloc will be put on the defensive.

The only ones who will benefit from this are the wealthy, who will get to keep the Gov't handouts, and George W. Bush; who with Harper's plan for mass recruitment, will be hand delivered our young men and women as target practice for his enemies.

Good Lord:

Excise Tax off jewelry. Why?

Tax Credit on books, which will only benefit those few students who actually earn a high enough income to pay tax. Why?

Tax credit for children's sports that will only benefit those who have the five hundred extra dollars to put their children in these programs, and even then since it is not a benefit but a credit, the maximum realized value is $ 6.50 per month. That won't get them into a game of hopscotch. Why?

Arming border guards. Why?

'Unspecified' military equipment! What?

Mass Military Recruitment when we are supposed to be keeping the peace. Why?

Promising 1200.00 per year to children under six, then clerverly engineering it so that few will ever see even half that amount, unless you earn more than $100,000 per year and your spouse stays home. Why?

Raising personal income tax when we have lots of money. Why?

Nothing for Seniors. Why?

80% reduction in promised payments to First Nations. Why?

This budget is an absolute mess, and will provide a lot of ammunition for Harper's opponents next election. I can hardly wait.

The only ones who will benefit from this are the wealthy, who will get to keep the Gov't handouts, and George W. Bush; who with Harper's plan for mass recruitment, will be hand delivered our young men and women as target practice for his enemies.

Good Lord:

Tax credit for children's sports that will only benefit those who have the five hundred extra dollars to put their children in these programs, and even then since it is not a benefit but a credit, the maximum realized value is $ 6.50 per month. That won't get them into a game of hopscotch. Why?

Arming border guards. Why?

Mass Military Recruitment when we are supposed to be keeping the peace. Why?

Promising 1200.00 per year to children under six, then clerverly engineering it so that few will ever see even half that amount, unless you earn more than $100,000 per year and your spouse stays home. Why?

This budget is an absolute mess, and will provide a lot of ammunition for Harper's opponents next election. I can hardly wait.

Your credibility is very much on thin ice when you make very broad generalized statements that don't stand up to scrutiny.

I am currently bringing in $60,000 per year and would hardly call myself "wealthy". My wife stays at home with our 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old children, and when logged as income in her hands, we will get 100% of the 2,400.00 per year coming to us. Of course I can only speculate, but I am relatively confident that there are thousands of other Canadian families in exactly the same situation as ours.

As for the sport tax credit, I'll give you that those families going to the food bank will not benefit from this, BUT, I again venture to say that thousands of kids will actually be playing sports like soccer or baseball (which are relatively inexpensive compared to hockey or football) as a result of this tax credit where their parents otherwise couldn't pay the sign-up fee...and these are far from "wealthy" families.

Why arm border guards? Because a guard who runs away from his post is guarding nothing.

And who decided we don't need military recruitment because we are "supposed to be keeping the peace". Afghanistan hardly represents the first time Canadian soldiers have been active in military theatre in other than a peacekeeping role. Whether you agree or not, we are not just peacekeeping right now, and so we must properly approach our military deployments to minimize risk to our soldiers...which includes not over-extending deployments because we have no other soldiers to rotate with.

There may be valid criticisms for the budget, but you have to work a little harder if you want what you say to be taken seriously.

FTA

Nocrap,

Your sadly misinformed.

- The excise tax was removed from Jewlery last parliment through a Liberal supported bill.

- Your insane if you think border guards don't need to be armed. There are over 100 rural crossings where there is just one guard by themself. We regularly close our border because people that might have guns are coming towards it, so it gets shut down until the Americans can find them. So much for soverignty eh?

- Taxes haven't been increased, what are you talking about. The lowest income earner gets an addition $50-something dollars back from the Tory plan over the previous Liberal plan through the Employment Tax Credit and the increased Personal Exemption. Not to mention over 600,000 Canadians will no longer pay taxes due to the Tory plan.

- Tax Credit on books is extremely important. I shouldn't be paying tax upon tax on materials that will make me a more productive member of society and not on welfare later. This is a brilliant move to help students out a little, I'll take an extra $100 a year. If a student isn't paying taxes, then they aren't working hard enough and can't possibly be paying for school themself so I have no sympathy for your argument there.

- The sports credit isn't huge, but its a step in the right direction. Why do you insist the government should pay for everything? Families should pay for sports, but shouldn't be taxed on expenses that will allow their children not to be an overweight leech on our healthcare system later. Those involved in organized childhood sports are shown to lead a more activity lifestyle later on in life.

- Mass military recruitment because we hardly have enough troops for 2 shifts in Afghanistan and we should be in Darfur at the same time. There are alot of peace and humanitarian missions that are in need of troops urgently, and Canada can't provide right now.

This is a budget for hard-working Canadians. If your lazy, on welfare or believe that the government somehow owes you something, then its not your budget. If you want more money in your pocket, and want to work for it, then you've got it with this one.

Is it perfect? Nope, I would have liked to see more program cuts and tax cuts. But hey, its a step in the right direction.

Seniors are getting something, another $1,000 exemption. Expanding the military is a priority, gee, the lefties want us to send troops into Darfur, where are they going to come from?

Harper is under no obligation to uphold promises that were not passed by parliament, and I do support him not 'upholding promises' to the aborignals and day care. Considering there was about 20 billion in tax relief, it is not to be sneezed at, but hardly a 'neo con' budget, considering the amount spending. - including 1.5 billion for agriculture.

I was glad to hear that Ottawa will not commit itself to funding cost overruns for the 2010 Winter Olympics until it gets a full picture of the financial management plan - good move., including replacing 3 patronage appointments on the Olympic board. Another $591 million over eight years for the Pacific Gateway isn't getting much attention, but overall it definitely is a step in the right direction.

Seniors are getting something, another $1,000 exemption. Expanding the military is a priority, gee, the lefties want us to send troops into Darfur, where are they going to come from?

Harper is under no obligation to uphold promises that were not passed by parliament, and I do support him not 'upholding promises' to the aborignals and day care. Considering there was about 20 billion in tax relief, it is not to be sneezed at, but hardly a 'neo con' budget, considering the amount spending. - including 1.5 billion for agriculture.

I was glad to hear that Ottawa will not commit itself to funding cost overruns for the 2010 Winter Olympics until it gets a full picture of the financial management plan - good move., including replacing 3 patronage appointments on the Olympic board. Another $591 million over eight years for the Pacific Gateway isn't getting much attention, but overall it definitely is a step in the right direction.

Your right but wasn't the 5 billion for military funding a litttle short handed and a pittence for a Conservative budget?

Your right but wasn't the 5 billion for military funding a litttle short handed and a pittence for a Conservative budget?

I think it was a bit less than hoped for, I'm hoping for more in the next budget. Again, I think its because of the minority situation, they have to do what they can in the short term. If they can gain a majority next time around, I would expect more, as long as the economy keeps chugging along.

I did hear an interview with McKenzie who said he welcomes the addition of that many new recruits, but wonders how they are going to train and house them as they lack the resources to do so.