Out of sight... out of mind?

So now we are adopting another American policy? Why has Mr Harper banned media from these events really? Are we to believe that the whole country doesn't mourn with these families and we don't have a vested interest in the result of our expanded mission in Afhganistan?

Coverage of fallen soldiers banned

The Conservative government is refusing to allow media to cover tonight's return of four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, a surprise decision that has critics accusing Prime Minister Stephen Harper of adopting American-style tactics to limit public exposure to Canada's casualties.

Does he really think this will help in his desire for a majority next time round?

I don't think its anything to do with 'transparency', its to do with respect for the parent's/relative's grief. Do we really need to see the bodies in caskets. Also I'm guessing its to do with not letting the media spin things out of control.

Although it is a situation Harper inherited, if any more soldiers die, I'm also guessing it will become his 'war' and not Martins.

Guest Warwick Green

He is expecting a lot more body bags to make their way across the Atlantic and he doesn't want to have the public reminded of the deaths by half-staff flags and media coverage of the bodies arriving. Harper can follow the George Bush playbook.

check out this military forum, and again it seems that hatred of George Bush is the real reason for the apoplecty over not lowering the flag.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?PHP...71428#msg371428

quote:

Rant on:

Once again, I'm fed up and disgusted with the media and their "spinning" of non-issues into something more. Yet again, TV tonight is awash with "Conservatives won't lower the flag" stories - presented with no background and with plenty of people saying what an "insult" it is to soldiers. They have no idea what soldiers think of this issue, yet are ready to jump to conclusions in an effort to speak for us.

To the media reading this (and I have no doubt you are): how much is enough? You have plenty of coverage of the coffins being put on the plane and I have no doubt you'll have plenty of the funerals - invited or not. Get a grip. We are the Army; it is a sad reality that part of our job is to take casualties on behalf of Canadians and our elected political masters - of whatever stripe. Don't denegrate that sacrifice with an unseemly and politically motivated display of spin designed to promote controversy and generate ratings. "Canada's Iraq" indeed...

Rant off.

So now we are adopting another American policy? Why has Mr Harper banned media from these events really? Are we to believe that the whole country doesn't mourn with these families and we don't have a vested interest in the result of our expanded mission in Afhganistan?

Coverage of fallen soldiers banned

The Conservative government is refusing to allow media to cover tonight's return of four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, a surprise decision that has critics accusing Prime Minister Stephen Harper of adopting American-style tactics to limit public exposure to Canada's casualties.

Does he really think this will help in his desire for a majority next time round?

Nope.

Its called respect for the dead.

If the media had any he wouldn't have to step in and do this.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to banning the media from attending the return of dead soldiers to Canada, Harper has decided that unlike previous Prime Ministers, he will not attend himself, even in the absence of the media. I suppose Harper's absence can also be viewed as "respect for the dead".

Wow normie, you sure are one to talk about respect.

Seems like you are crediting Prime Minister Harper for a policy he hasn't yet formally instituted.

In addition to banning the media from attending the return of dead soldiers to Canada, Harper has decided that unlike previous Prime Ministers, he will not attend himself, even in the absence of the media. I suppose Harper's absence can also be viewed as "respect for the dead".

Wow normie, you sure are one to talk about respect.

Seems like you are crediting Prime Minister Harper for a policy he hasn't yet formally instituted.

Shoopie, why do you suppose Harper has recently not attended the return of dead soldiers to Canada?

Not because there was an official policy not to attend.

With the way the opposition politicized the deaths, Harper attending the funerals would have merely detracted from the primary purpose for the events. Paying respects to dead Canadian soldiers.

Harper treated the soldier's funerals as respectfully as possible by staying away.

Shoopie, why do you suppose Harper has recently not attended the return of dead soldiers to Canada?

I know the media is all in a tizzy because they are not being given stories that write themselves and so that make it all a slow news day. But for anyone to even attempt to justify their attempts to intrude on the families and the dead soldiers at this time, is just going way too far. If any of the families want the media to be involved with their loved ones funerals, they can do so in their own towns and at their own guide lines. I am fully in support of banning the newsx from anything up to those times. It is not their right to be able to do this and it is just too bad if they feel slighted.

The media in this country has gone way over board thinking they have rights to each and everything that goes on. They just do not have any sense when it comes to what they think is news. They will not respect the families or anyone else, if they think that they may be able to make much more out of some small thing. Until the media in Canad can show me they have even a semblence of decency in what they do. I would not want them in my life or that of anyone else, unless invited. I am glad the government has taken this approach. Even though this decision was made by the Defence Minister and no the Government as a whole, I support the governments right to support their minister in all of this.

Maybe the media will have to work for a story now. I know that the scandel a week from the old liberals made their life much too easy. Now they should go out and work for their stories.

Not because there was an official policy not to attend.

With the way the opposition politicized the deaths, Harper attending the funerals would have merely detracted from the primary purpose for the events. Paying respects to dead Canadian soldiers.

Harper treated the soldier's funerals as respectfully as possible by staying away.

Apparently we agree. Harper's continued absence from the return of dead soldiers to Canada can indeed be interpreted by some, especially those who abhor Harper, as "respect for the dead".

Nope.

Unfortunately nothing Harper did or could do in this situation would satisfy those who just simply hate him, or cannot get over the fact that he actually was electable.

It was a choice. We respected that.

Conservative supporters don't choose to play politics with the falling of our soldiers.

Too bad the Harper haters can't show the same respect.

It is unfortunate that Harper chose not to attend the return of dead soldiers to Canada...more so even than his attempt to ban the media from attending. Even Harper supporters had no problem with previous Prime Ministers who chose to attend their return as a sign of respect.

It was a choice. We respected that.
It is unfortunate that Harper chose not to attend the return of dead soldiers to Canada...more so even than his attempt to ban the media from attending. Even Harper supporters had no problem with previous Prime Ministers who chose to attend their return as a sign of respect.

Actually many Conservaqtive supporters did not support this choice and have said so publicly. Some Conservative supporters even believe that they don't have to approve of every single action taken by Stephen Harper.

That happens with every government, in every democracy in the world Normie.

It would be very strange inded for a Prime Minister to expect all of his supporters to approve of every single action they took.

Look at the dithering Government we had from Paul Martin when he tried to govern in that manner. Canadians wanted a change on January 23rd and they got it.

Do I agree with every choice Stephen Harper has made as leader of the CPC? No.

Do I now trust in his political acumen and understand there is a reason he has become Prime Minister? Yes.

Some Conservative supporters even believe that they don't have to approve of every single action taken by Stephen Harper.

For example, I thought talking about SSM early in the campaign as he did was a huge tactical blunder.

Goes to show how much I know, and why I'm not running CPC national campaigns ..... yet. ;)

Really? What choices of his did/do you not agree with?