On campus jobs (Universities)

Why is it that more than half of on-campus jobs at universities are reserved for international students? With so many people on OSAP or receiving bank loans who need a way to pay them back, why are universities simply giving the jobs to international students? And let's not forget the students who are not poor enough for OSAP or any other student loan program, yet require jobs to help pay for University.

The part that makes me mad is that these jobs are subsidized with taxpayers' dollars. As taxpayers, wouldn't people rather see their kids get jobs to help pay for education instead of just giving the money to international students?

It seems rather unfair to Canadians to get shut out of jobs that were created by their own tax dollars, especially when the international kids are unable to actually do the job.

With a provincial unemployment rate at around 6.5% (from statcan.ca) and an even higher teenage unemployment rate, I'm sure we can find some Ontarians who can do these jobs.

Why is it that more than half of on-campus jobs at universities are reserved for international students?

I am not really sure if it is that high, but assuming you're right....

It seems rather unfair to Canadians to get shut out of jobs that were created by their own tax dollars, especially when the international kids are unable to actually do the job.

First off who says the international students are largely unable to do the job? I know many international students or at least have known them, and most have been very motivated/capable individuals. All i have met are unable to work off campus for residency/citizenship reasons, and many are in dire need of money, not a good predicament! It is worth noting here that they too contribute to our economy through touition, and living expenses...wheather or not they contribute enough to recoupe their costs i'll leave for another argument.

Now that being said....I am not a beliver in 'affirmative action', I believe in the best man/woman for the job bar none! There should be no limit or target % for international students, I suspect even without this target in place there would still be a dispraportionatly high % of international students working on campus for the reasons i mentioned.

So in short I agree that there shouldn't be a target % of emplyment set aside for international students, but my reasons for believing so are different from yours. Our tax dollars going to them doesn't offend me so long as they are the best candidates for the jobs, especially considering they can't work off campus.

Ultimately I would have to imageine that any subsidization that does go to int'l. students education in this manner eventually (on average) makes it's way back to some level of the Can. gov't, through taxes garnerned after full time emplyment is attained if staying in the country, and or if relatives come here to live/work etc. Infact I will go further and say that it would take only a small percentage of the int'l. students to stay behind and live in canada to recoup such a minimal expense.

Why is it that more than half of on-campus jobs at universities are reserved for international students?

I am not really sure if it is that high, but assuming you're right....

First off who says the international students are largely unable to do the job? I know many international students or at least have known them, and most have been very motivated/capable individuals. All i have met are unable to work off campus for residency/citizenship reasons, and many are in dire need of money, not a good predicament! It is worth noting here that they too contribute to our economy through touition, and living expenses...wheather or not they contribute enough to recoupe their costs i'll leave for another argument.

Now that being said....I am not a beliver in 'affirmative action', I believe in the best man/woman for the job bar none! There should be no limit or target % for international students, I suspect even without this target in place there would still be a dispraportionatly high % of international students working on campus for the reasons i mentioned.

So in short I agree that there shouldn't be a target % of emplyment set aside for international students, but my reasons for believing so are different from yours. Our tax dollars going to them doesn't offend me so long as they are the best candidates for the jobs, especially considering they can't work off campus.

Ultimately I would have to imageine that any subsidization that does go to int'l. students education in this manner eventually (on average) makes it's way back to some level of the Can. gov't, through taxes garnerned after full time emplyment is attained if staying in the country, and or if relatives come here to live/work etc. Infact I will go further and say that it would take only a small percentage of the int'l. students to stay behind and live in canada to recoup such a minimal expense.

I wouldn't mind either if they were the best person for the job. I think they should interview everyone who is interested and hire the best, regardless of where they are from. But if they're sending away qualified applications who also need the money, then it is kind of unfair. I also think it depends on the university, some may have more positions reserved than others. Plus, some universities have higher standards than others, so the international students attending high-standard universities are probably very capable.

I know some international students who are probably better candidates for any job, and wouldn't need affirmative action to get it. I'm just getting tired of all this affirmative action and "quotas". I wish people would just hire whoever is best.