PM Harper & the Media

But when every other media outlet in the country (except maybe the T.O. Star) is biased heavily to the right because they're owned by large corporations, at least the CBC creates some balance.

Because they are paid by this country's leftist governments... :D

Maybe its time to pull the plug.

Agreed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. The corporate media has no interest in expressing alternative points of view, so the public system is the only place that will ever happen. Compare how often the Frontier Centre for Public Policy or the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation are asked for their perspective on issues as opposed to left-wing organizations--there's absolutely no balance in the mainstream media. The concept of the liberal media is a myth dreamed up by the corporate media to make it seem like they're doing their job.

So using your logic, it is OK for a government-sponsored media outlet to be biased.

:lol:

I think it's okay for them to be different from the corporate media and show both sides of the story. To a CPCer who's used to having their ideas gently reinforced by the MSM, the CBC is probably unnerving because there are people talking whom they actually disagree with. My point is, the corporate media is so universally biased, the CBC's balance seems right out of left field by comparison.

I think it's okay for them to be different from the corporate media and show both sides of the story. To a CPCer who's used to having their ideas gently reinforced by the MSM, the CBC is probably unnerving because there are people talking whom they actually disagree with. My point is, the corporate media is so universally biased, the CBC's balance seems right out of left field by comparison.
What is this "corporate media" idea?

Advertisers spend good money to reach potential customers. If customers don't watch or listen to the broadcaster, then the advertisers aren't going to advertise. Hence, news reporting must respond to what people want to know.

It seems to me that it is the CBC that is exempt from this basic chain of reasoning.

Here's a radical thought. Maintain public subsidy of radio and TV (to all broadcasters) but base the subsidy on viewer ratings.

Advertisers spend good money to reach potential customers. If customers don't watch or listen to the broadcaster, then the advertisers aren't going to advertise. Hence, news reporting must respond to what people want to know.

Corporate media is media owned by large corporations (see Bell, Canwest, etc.). And advertisers are mostly interested in people with money, so having a right-leaning bias fits that nicely (where I come from, it's the poor neighbourhoods that vote NDP, the rich areas vote CPC--that's just the way it is). So when the news coddles the wealthy with "what they want to know," and only ask the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation for their take on issues, the lefties have nowhere to go but the Mother Corp. Until tomorrow anyway.

CTV is *heavily tilted to the right*? OMG, no real clue at all.

The CBC should strive for balance because it is taxper funded. period.

But when every other media outlet in the country (except maybe the T.O. Star) is biased heavily to the right because they're owned by large corporations, at least the CBC creates some balance.

CTV is *heavily tilted to the right*? OMG, no real clue at all.

The CBC should strive for balance because it is taxper funded. period.

Yes! What I have been saying all along...especially because WE pay for it...

Corporate media is media owned by large corporations (see Bell, Canwest, etc.). And advertisers are mostly interested in people with money, so having a right-leaning bias fits that nicely (where I come from, it's the poor neighbourhoods that vote NDP, the rich areas vote CPC--that's just the way it is). So when the news coddles the wealthy with "what they want to know," and only ask the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation for their take on issues, the lefties have nowhere to go but the Mother Corp. Until tomorrow anyway.

The last time I watched TV, it seemed to me most of the ads were for chewing gum, soap, fast food restaurants and economy cars. Radio advertising strikes me as just as plebian.

Balanced? Name one commentator or show regularly broadcast that you would consider *right wing*?

Hmm from the left? The Hour? George Strombolopolous? Keith Boag - terribly biased to the Liberals. Peter Mansbridge. Terry Milewski.

How is this balanced?

My point is that CBC is balanced. You just wouldn't know it because everybody else is tilted to the right. ust by their portraying the left point of view, you see it as bias because nobody else even acknowledges the left exists.

But taxpayers fund the CBC. ALL taxpayers. They must be balanced between the so-called right and left. Whether or not their being left-leaning balances out the media overall is not the point. If they would like to go unfunded by the people of Canada, as with the "corporate" entities, then they would have the right to lean to the left until they fall over.

Conversely, I would grumble as loud if they leaned to the right.

One billion dollars a year should be enough support to make sure they don't lean at all. ;)

I wouldn't say their news shows are left or right wing. If anything, The Hour has a youth bias, so I can see how some conservatives can't relate.

And Mansbridge was a lot harder on Martin in the Town Hall session than he was on Harper. In fact, Harper was treated with kid gloves with a lot of soft questions and every opportunity to state his position.

I wouldn't say their news shows are left or right wing. If anything, The Hour has a youth bias, so I can see how some conservatives can't relate.

And Mansbridge was a lot harder on Martin in the Town Hall session than he was on Harper. In fact, Harper was treated with kid gloves with a lot of soft questions and every opportunity to state his position.

I will agree that Mansbridge was tougher on Martin that Paulie-boy expected. Or I expected. Now that was funny. (Funny-ha ha, not funny-weird).

But on most nights, I tune in to hear what is going on in "the enemy camp" because that is all I hear about. And how Harper is scary.

But if you look at the panel on the National, it's made up of Chantal Hebert (not exactly an extreme lefty), Andrew Coyne (a federalist conservative) and Allan Gregg from the Strategic Counsel (a market research firm--pretty centrist to right-wing, I would say). if anything, that's skewed to the right.

Sorry Bubber - I ha ve listened to CBC for years and have never heard a right wing commentator EVER. As far as I concerned the most right wing they have working for them is Rex Murphy.

There has been a clear, left wing bias in most of Canada's media for at least a hundred years.

The other thing about the media is that they live for a story where they can sling the poop and it's not Harper's

fault that the Libs have provided them with so much dirt to dig into.

Finally the Bloggers have force the MSM to start doing their job of simply reporting.

http://www.journalism.ubc.ca/thunderbird/a...en_agendas.html

In Hidden Agendas: How journalists influence the news, Lydia Miljan and Barry Cooper argue that “it is not just random variation that shows that some media coverage favours one side or the other. …Journalists do influence news coverage and that coverage does move in a certain direction.” According to the authors, the news is headed Left.

Starting from the premise that “cultural critics” have not yet successfully and empirically shown that media owners are responsible for bias in the media, Miljan and Cooper conclude that the ideal of objectivity is, well, only an ideal, and that journalists themselves are responsible for left-wing bias in the media.

The second part of Hidden Agendas analyses the content of news for ideological bias. The authors hypothesize: journalists are more left-leaning than the general public, so this bias must transpire in media coverage. But the methodology of this part of the study fails right form the start. The authors looked at the content of a select group of media outlets: the Globe and Mail, the Calgary Herald, Le Devoir (known as the most left-wing daily newspaper in Quebec), CBC, Radio-Canada and CTV.

In choosing these, Miljan and Cooper forgot to consider what people actually read and watch. Three of the six are arguably some of the most liberal mainstream media outlets in the country (like the public CBC or the Globe and Mail) but they gave very little weight to the largest media corporation in Canada, CanWest Global. Incidentally, the study shows that the Calgary Herald (owned by Southam at the time of the study and now part of the CanWest Global conglomerate) contains the smallest amount of “left-leaning statements” among the media studied.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh, my statement asked for a commentator or show regularly broadcast on the CBC that you would consider *right wing*. Adler may have been on the CBC before, but definitely not regularyl. How does this go to *disprove* the leftwing bias of the CBC?

Charles Adler, the "radio rottweiler". Athough he is so closeminded, the word "conservative" seems generous.

Uhhh, my statement asked for a commentator or show regularly broadcast on the CBC that you would consider *right wing*. Adler may have been on the CBC before, but definitely not regularyl. How does this go to *disprove* the leftwing bias of the CBC?
Charles Adler, the "radio rottweiler". Athough he is so closeminded, the word "conservative" seems generous.

Even if you have 3 right-wing guys and 4 left-wing guys, it is still biased.

True enough, but why does it have to be six far-left, five-left, four centre-left and that's it?

Even if you have 3 right-wing guys and 4 left-wing guys, it is still biased.

I don't look at it like that. I think that you have to evaluate the situation on a case be case basis.

Take "Hannity and Colmes." Hannity is far right-wing and Colmes is centre-left. That makes the show right-leaning, not centrist like Fox News claims.

I don't really know where you are going with this. If you want to look at the National's "At Issue" panel you have leftist Hebert, centrist Gregg, rightie Coyne and leftist *moderator* Mansbridge. That would make it leftish.

That is the closest thing on CBC to providing any semblance of balance at all...

I don't look at it like that. I think that you have to evaluate the situation on a case be case basis.

Take "Hannity and Colmes." Hannity is far right-wing and Colmes is centre-left. That makes the show right-leaning, not centrist like Fox News claims.

I don't really know where you are going with this. If you want to look at the National's "At Issue" panel you have leftist Hebert, centrist Gregg, rightie Coyne and leftist *moderator* Mansbridge. That would make it leftish.

That is the closest thing on CBC to providing any semblance of balance at all...

Shoop... :blink:

You have to relax a bit. I am not disagreeing with anything you said and I have argued many times on this forum that CBC is far left-wing...

I am just saying...in general...in whatever media in whatever country...you always have to look at the whole picture. No one here has been able to prove to either one of us that CBC is not left-wing so...

I've got you back on this one... ;)

I just listened to part of Michael Enright's CBC radio programme this morning and I thought of Mulroney's remark. Harper is going to have a very tough time.

Hitler got very good press in Germany.

But I'm curious to know what you're complaining about. To create such anger you must have heard some specific examples of mistreatment or unfair press. Can you remember any?

Actually this is the first campaign where I'm not complaining about CBC interference.

If anyone here watched the 'Your Turn' segements, you would have seen that Martin got the roughest ride, and Harper pretty much had no questions that were too difficult. I was expecting some abortion, same-sex marriage, or even American influence questions... none. It was all accountability and tax reform, the topics that conservatives do best on. Maybe this helps the Mansbridge/Harper friendship theory.

Kudos for acknowledging that Geoffrey. I noticed that also. Martin got roasted.

I also noticed that the amazing news that Harper was cutting off media questions 2 days before the election...followed by the reversal of the decision after it was reported got NO coverage on the CBC.

It was news, especially given the Harper platform of accountability and transparancy.

I think the CBC has been beat up by rightwingers and is running scared.