Assuming the Conservatives win....

betsy

The Bloc.

Or maybe a bloc of NDP's.

But not the Liberals.

Definitely not the Liberals.

Or maybe the Marijuana Party.

Yes, the Pot Party. Imagine Question Period. Harper (looking serious) proclaims that the government has just released it's fourth consecutive balanced budget. "CRUNCH" as the Pot Party Finance critic and the Heritage critic giggle and eat Doritos.

I don't care as long as each MP is free to vote in a manner that best reflects his constituents wishes.

Canada is the least democratic country in the western world and that has got to change.

I don't care as long as each MP is free to vote in a manner that best reflects his constituents wishes.

Canada is the least democratic country in the western world and that has got to change.

Can't have free votes in parlimentary systems. Governments would fall constantly. Party discipline is a core aspect of our system, thats why the Party Whip is one of the most important people internally in a political party.

Can't have your way unless you want to overhaul the entire system, and the only way to go where free votes are encouraged (and actually work) would be the American or French type republican (system, not the party) systems.

Dear geoffrey,

Can't have free votes in parlimentary systems. Governments would fall constantly. Party discipline is a core aspect of our system, thats why the Party Whip is one of the most important people internally in a political party.
Indeed. Remember what happened to David Kilgour and Alex Kindy. They voted according to the wishes of their constituents (against the introduction of the GST) and were booted out of the old PC party for such audacity.

Personally, I would like a conservative minority with the NDP holding the balance of power, with the Nuns of 'Our Lady of Perpetual Cynicism' in opposition.

Anyone other than the Liberals. I sincerely hope for the good of the country that they fall to at least third party status, if not fourth.

Anything where the Liberals have very few seats and the CPC is in power is perfectly acceptable to me.

I would rather an NDP or Bloc opposition.

Can't have your way unless you want to overhaul the entire system, and the only way to go where free votes are encouraged (and actually work) would be the American or French type republican (system, not the party) systems.

You can if they are non-confidence votes, so only financials would be confidence votes.

You can if they are non-confidence votes, so only financials would be confidence votes.

The NDP!

what do you guys think of proportional representation for better democracy?

arif