Could these be true? Really?

betsy

My knowledge of national and political affairs are not as much as some of you guys who post here. I am so skeptical right now, and I do have a lot of questions.

1. Are we really this rich? I mean, with all the incredible extravagance that had been done, all the billions gone...and all the staggering billions about to be spent.....can we really afford all that?

If it is true that we are this rich, then why is our Healthcare system suffering like this?

Is it possible that in reality, contrary to what the people in power claims, is it possible that we are actually not in that great shape, financially?

2. They say the economy is booming....but how come I see a lot of "going-out-of-business" signs here and there....a lot of empty "for lease" spaces in commercial places? News of big businesses reducing their staff, lay-offs, or permanently closing down?

3. If we are this rich, why can't the governemnt give us a break by at least reducing the taxes we pay?

4. I heard we even pay a gas tax on top of the GST we pay, is that true? They were talking about double-taxing.

My knowledge of national and political affairs are not as much as some of you guys who post here.  I am so skeptical right now, and I do have a lot of questions.

1.  Are we really this rich?  I mean, with all the incredible extravagance that had been done, all the billions gone...and all the staggering billions about to be spent.....can we really afford all that?

If it is true that we are this rich, then why is our Healthcare system suffering like this?

Is it possible that in reality, contrary to what the people in power claims, is it possible that we are actually not in that great shape, financially?

2.  They say the economy is booming....but how come I see a lot of "going-out-of-business" signs here and there....a lot of empty "for lease" spaces in commercial places?  News of big businesses reducing their staff, lay-offs, or permanently closing down?

3.  If we are this rich, why can't the governemnt give us a break by at least reducing the taxes we pay?

4.  I heard we even pay a gas tax on top of the GST we pay, is that true?  They were talking about double-taxing.

Hi Betsy; This is what I believe. Yes we have a big surplus and knowing the liberals they have once again lied to us about the true numbers. They have consistenly done so since the Chretien era.

One of the reasons we have a surplus is addressed in your question about taxes. We are one of the highest taxed nations in the world both personally and corporately. And yes it is about time we got a tax break especially in light of the fact that the liberals are running their campaign on tax dollars stolen during the Quebec Ad-Scam and never paid back. Liberals tend to dodge any questions on the matter.

I believe our Health care system is in such a mess is due to the enormous bureaucracy that administers it, both provincially and federally. I believe that a system of both private and public health care, administered by one department and funded as it is now by our contributions to the various provincial health care plans, would finally provide us with affordable, accessible health care.

In closing please remember how many times the liberals have promised millions and never produced them. They are infamous for their broken promises. The NDP would have us in a deficit position before you could blink your eye they are all about big bureaucracies. The Conservative party is also promising millions but from what I see their plans are fiscally viable, well thought out and probably would eliminate alot of the duplication we now see in government.

Just my opinions but I hope they give you food for thought. Happy New Year

1. Are we really this rich? I mean, with all the incredible extravagance that had been done, all the billions gone...and all the staggering billions about to be spent.....can we really afford all that?

Are we really how rich? Do we have an operating surplus? Sure, but we still have a 500 billion dollar debt. Despite what some say your household economics are very relatable to the government, so let’s say you owe 5 times your yearly income, but day to day you are outpacing the cost of living and interest do you consider yourself rich? While the Liberals have been a very fiscally responsible government (the best in the world really) it is a long shot to call Canada "rich".

The Healthcare system along with pretty much every other social structure in Canada has been slashed to produce these surpluses so that we are capable of paying down the still rather crippling debt load. Consider how much money is spent just on the interest for the debt in Canada, and imagine that we could direct that money to such services as healthcare and you will begin to understand why we have a significant social infrastructure deficit.

Yes and no, the truth of the matter is that Canada's economy isn't as strong as the government would have you or I believe but the same could be said with just about every other country on earth. Some like the US and UK are far more dishonest with there populations were some are slightly more honest, like Germany and Sweden.

2. They say the economy is booming....but how come I see a lot of "going-out-of-business" signs here and there....a lot of empty "for lease" spaces in commercial places? News of big businesses reducing their staff, lay-offs, or permanently closing down?

That would depend on where you live of course, we are still undergoing a basic economic shift to competitiveness with Asia. Certainly there are many industrial jobs being replaced by service jobs (which is a very bad thing) but on the whole Canada remains fairly stable in this regard (surprisingly stable considering our strengthening dollar).

3. If we are this rich, why can't the government give us a break by at least reducing the taxes we pay?

Our taxes are not especially high, and to reduce them before paying down the deficit would be highly irresponsible.

4. I heard we even pay a gas tax on top of the GST we pay, is that true? They were talking about double-taxing.

Somewhat true, while this isn't the real definition of double taxation it’s something that some people like to hold out as unfair. Considering that road & highway infrastructure is subsidized from general revenue to the tune of 1600 dollars per vehicle on the road I would have to say that I can't really find anything unreasonable about our total fuel taxation regardless which is the only real issue of fairness.