Canadian Politicians at it again.....

I guess I worry about the innocents. In the U.S., for example, there were 802 accidental firearms deaths in 2001 (bound to be higher now). To me that's a good enough reason for concern and alarm. http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUT...NS/GUNSTAT.html

I'm not a fan of guns but I don't like the "accidental deaths" argument. How many people die from car accidents? No one wants to ban cars.

There was a good 20/20 on last weekend. It claimed 2/3's of shootings are by people protecting themselves.

abc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I worry about the innocents. In the U.S., for example, there were 802 accidental firearms deaths in 2001 (bound to be higher now). To me that's a good enough reason for concern and alarm. http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUT...NS/GUNSTAT.html

802 out of almost 300 million people.

Out of the 802, how many of those were unregistared and illegal guns?

There were 1,614 deaths in car accindents in Pennsylvania alone in 2001 (42,815 in US). Should we ban cars? They are far more deadly than guns per years.

Did I say ban? I said concern, or perhaps you don't give a s---. A good portion of these deaths were kids, not people who chose to drive, some drunk. And I said innocent. One death by careless use of a firearm is too many in my view.

Did I say ban? I said concern, or perhaps you don't give a s---. A good portion of these deaths were kids, not people who chose to drive, some drunk. And I said innocent. One death by careless use of a firearm is too many in my view.

Much of this debate has been against the US right to own a gun. My apologizes.

I'm sure there are plenty of innocent people killed in car accidents each day; many of them didn't choose anything, especially the children. And don't the kids who play with the gun "chose" too do so?

My point was,,, saying that 802 people died b/c of guns is of course is heartbreaking (as is any innocent death is). But it does not; in anyway, make it wrong for people own guns.

I'm sure there are plenty of innocent people killed in car accidents each day; many of them didn't choose anything, especially the children. And don't the kids who play with the gun "chose" too do so?

My point was,,, saying that 802 people died b/c of guns is of course is heartbreaking (as is any innocent death is). But it does not; in anyway, make it wrong for people own guns.

I guess all I'm saying is that a loaded gun around a house with kids is a recipe for disaster, no matter how much training and talking you might have with children. I can only speak for myself, and I'd never have a gun around.

I guess all I'm saying is that a loaded gun around a house with kids is a recipe for disaster, no matter how much training and talking you might have with children. I can only speak for myself, and I'd never have a gun around.

But prohibition is NEVER the answer to most problems in a democracy.

The Liberals gun registry never prevented TO teenagers from acquiring AK 47s, why should we believe any of their other garbage will work???

The Liberals will only alienate the West with this policy...but I forgot, the Liberals hate the west.

Trudeau so "if the west is so smart, why don't they govern themselves?" Another Liberal government may give them the motivation to try to.

Australia introduced gun registration and then confiscated without compensation, all of the weapons that the people were stupid enough to register. Armed home invasions and armed robberies have shot up, and in Australia the only people with weapons are the police, the military and the criminals, and let's not forget those citizens who saw the writting on the wall when the government introduced their gun registry, and simply refused to register their weapons. In all likelihood the only people that need to worry about those guns in the hands of those otherwise law-abiding citizens, are those who might decide to break in and rob those people

The argument that gun crime went up in Britain and Australia following its ban is, at best a statistic. Both australia and the UK have much less gun violence than either Canada or the USA.

The UK government stresses that the apparent rise in violent crime merely reflected better reporting and recording of offences. Because of the handgun ban, several people were recently charged with the new crime of simply possessing handguns.

Both the UK and Australia are also suffering from lots of internal strife and violence from being at war in Iraq.

It’s also notable that Toronto is experiencing a 400% increase in gun deaths since 1998 even though it has not had a gun-ban.

I think serverely resticting gun sales would be a huge help for the cops cleaning up the streets. There should also be strong penalties for not safely storing guns, or for giving or selling old guns to people who aren't competent to use them safely.

The way it is now, thugs are getting hold of new guns faster than the cops are getting rid of old ones.

[

You don't understand the Liberal Party of Canada. For Liberals, Canada is such a "nice and gentle" country that Canadians MUST have been influenced by those "evil NRA-induced Americans" with their "culture of guns." :D

There was a funny pictorial a few weeks ago in the Montreal Gazette. It showed Martin in Toronto with a police officer who had just arrested a man in his early 20s who just shot someone. The police officer said "He was born in Canada, acquired the gun in Canada, watched Canadian movies, never been outside Canada, etc." while Martin said "Damn those Americans!"

That is the Liberal Party's policy...blame the Americans, preach myths, and never take responsibility for their actions. For Canada's sake, I hope a Conservative government is up and coming...

It's not just about availability of guns. It's about the American culture of violence.

The American Chuck e Cheese restaurant chain has discontinued video games in Canada because of the violent content.

A parent said "The whole game was inappropriate for young kids. It seems horrid to me that there could be so much violence for the sake of a game,"

Houston of Chuck E. Cheese said the Canadian market has different tastes in what is appropriate for its children."

Souce http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/co...ssif=News+Alert