Canadian Politicians at it again.....

Talk to people that live in rural area of Canada.
85% of Canadians live in urban areas. I recognize that people in rural areas of Canada have different attitudes towards guns but there are not enough people living in rural Canada to have much of an impact on the culture of the country as a whole.

This is not true in the US where the American culture of gun ownership is shared by many people living in urban areas.

My point is there is no universally accepted 'right to own a gun' among wealthy, democratic nations and that it reasonable to say the Americans have a unique obession with gun when compared to their peers in other countries.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please give examples of our "obsession" with guns/violence that is not found in Canada.
The NRA, gun shows, consealed weapon permits, "Stand Your Ground" laws.
Protecting oneself and ones family is a right in every country, guns allow you to protect yourself against violent attacks.
Do you ever ask yourself what is wrong with your society that would require such protection in the first place? People in other weathy industrialized countries feel perfectly safe without guns in their homes for 'protection'.

There's also an obsession with violence.

Please give examples of our "obsession" with guns/violence that is not found in Canada.

Protecting oneself and ones family is a right in every country, guns allow you to protect yourself against violent attacks.

Well you could watch "Bowling for Columbine"

or

http://www.thenewamerican.com/focus/gun_control/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/725614.stm

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_bellesiles_plby.html

There isnt a Canadian equivalent to this or the following

"Enough American civilians have died by firearms injuries in the last 40 years to equal at least 20 Vietnams. By midnight today in the US, about 85 Americans will die of gunshot wounds--and at least one of them will be a child under the age of 15. Yet except for occasional workplace mass killings, or school murders like Columbine, these deaths go ignored. "

(Source http://thetyee.ca/Views/2004/01/07/Living_...a_Gun_Culture/)

Well you could watch "Bowling for Columbine"

or

http://www.thenewamerican.com/focus/gun_control/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/725614.stm

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_bellesiles_plby.html

There isnt a Canadian equivalent to this or the following

"Enough American civilians have died by firearms injuries in the last 40 years to equal at least 20 Vietnams. By midnight today in the US, about 85 Americans will die of gunshot wounds--and at least one of them will be a child under the age of 15. Yet except for occasional workplace mass killings, or school murders like Columbine, these deaths go ignored. "

(Source http://thetyee.ca/Views/2004/01/07/Living_...a_Gun_Culture/)

HAHAHAHA - you want me to watch Bowling for Columbine as a "real" insight into the US gun laws/culture. HOLY SHIT you, you maybe the most naive person on this board if you really believe this crap.

BTW every article you posted was 1.) A fluff, opinion piece lump of crap with a incredibly bias slate and 2.) A weak source for news. Playboy being 1 of your sources. Try again kid. Those dogs won't hunt.

The NRA, gun shows, consealed weapon permits, "Stand Your Ground" laws.
Do you ever ask yourself what is wrong with your society that would require such protection in the first place? People in other weathy industrialized countries feel perfectly safe without guns in their homes for 'protection'.

"The NRA, gun shows, consealed weapon permits, "Stand Your Ground" laws."

- Not one of these show an obsession for guns or violence.

How would you protect yourself if someone broke into your house while you and your family where there?

You are in denial. All examples demonstrate how American culture is obsessed with guns (I never said Americas are obsessed with violance).
How would you protect yourself if someone broke into your house while you and your family where there?
1) Leave by the nearest exit.

2) If 1) not possible, barricade ourselves in a room and call 911.

99% of thieves will just take want they want and leave. A gun is not necessary. In fact, having a gun makes it much more likely someone in your family will die.

There's also an obsession with violence.

To answer your question re examples, you must have passed over this earlier post by Flashman. Very accurate.

"The American media that we see in Canada seems to be fascinated with gun violence. Whether it's TV shows, movies or video games, America seems to worship guns and gun culture.

To answer your question re examples,  you must have passed over this earlier post by Flashman. Very accurate.

"The American media that we see in Canada seems to be fascinated with gun violence. Whether it's TV shows, movies or video games, America seems to worship guns and gun culture.

This is quite true. You can start to see the gun culture in Canadian programming more now than ever. How many cops shows exist on TV right now? How many Hollywood movies feature guns/violence?

I really cannot stand cop shows. They are all the same. Guns, death, incarceration.To say there there is no prominant gun culture in the U.S.A is flat out wrong.

How many Americans own guns? (Or more than one) compared to the overall population. Do the same for other countries. Numbers will speak the truth.

PC and video games from the US are mostly violent. How the hell does 50 Cent get famous? Gun culture. He shows it and is proud of it. Have not played the game for I cannot stand him as a 'rapper'. I have played alot of games to know that alot of games overseas (europe and japan developers) create different games that don't even include violence, or it is really toned down and made comical.

I could be wrong being a Canadian though. Hope my ignorant arrogance will show through.

You are in denial. All examples demonstrate how American culture is obsessed with guns (I never said Americas are obsessed with violance).
1) Leave by the nearest exit.

2) If 1) not possible, barricade ourselves in a room and call 911.

99% of thieves will just take want they want and leave. A gun is not necessary. In fact, having a gun makes it much more likely someone in your family will die.

-NRA = org that was created to ensure people keep the right to have gun ownership b/c people like yourself feel you shouldn't have them. That and they promote gun regulations, safety, etc.

-Gun show = a mass market for a legal product (usually in area that do not have stores that cater to their product). Simple capitalism, like a comic book convention for hunters mainly.

-Concealed weapons permits = gun regulations (we are crazy oooohhhhh)

-Stand Your Ground" laws = a law that say's if someone attacks me I don't have to run away, I can defend myself without having to worry if I will be arrested/ sued. Common sense if you ask me.

None of these are fanatical in anyway.

You would hide in your house or run away... and that's your way of defending yourself and your home? By letting some scum bag steal your property that you worked hard for.

Cops are RE-active, they come after the crime is finished. I prefer to be PRO-active and prevent the crime from happening.

I find your solution to a breaking in, nothing short of you being a coward. I feel bad for your family if you would protect them in such a manner. Perhaps we are much more different than I thought.

You would hide in your house or run away... and that's your way of defending yourself and your home? By letting some scum bag steal your property that you worked hard for.

I find your solution to a breaking in, nothing short of you being a coward.  I feel bad for your family if you would protect them in such a manner. Perhaps we are much more different than I thought.

Have you ever heard of a security system? How about a doberman? There are other alternatives to having a loaded gun lying around. My brother-in-law in the States almost shot us one night when we came in late. And he knew we were coming!

I just have my priorities in the right place: the safety of my family is more important than my stuff (that is why I pay for insurance).
I find your solution to a breaking in, nothing short of you being a coward.  I feel bad for your family if you would protect them in such a manner. Perhaps we are much more different than I thought.
Any idiot can pick up a gun an point it someone and doing so is no sign of bravery. Confronting a burgler is dangerous even if you have a gun and are experienced with its use. It is irresponsible for me to risk my life in order to protect my stuff. If feel bad for your family if you believe that dying 'protecting your stuff' is better than doing what you need to stay alive.

I have a very simple solution to the gun problem, hold people accountable for all actions taken with there guns. Regardless of who takes the actions. I have no problem with gun ownership but if you handle them or store them in a manner which allows them to be used to harm someone then you should be held responsible.

I just have my priorities in the right place: the safety of my family is more important than my stuff (that is why I pay for insurance).
Any idiot can pick up a gun an point it someone and doing so is no sign of bravery. Confronting a burgler is dangerous even if you have a gun and are experienced with its use. It is irresponsible for me to risk my life in order to protect my stuff. If feel bad for your family if you believe that dying 'protecting your stuff' is better than doing what you need to stay alive.

We'll, I hope you never need to be in a situation that calls for it but if you are, I'll bet a dollar against a dime that you would want the gun.

We'll, I hope you never need to be in a situation that calls for it but if you are, I'll bet a dollar against a dime that you would want the gun.

And a bible too just to make it complete.

Right I got ya,,, you’ll need to give the bible to the sorry SOB to read, as he dies from the gunshot wound.

If our society collapsed into some Mad Max like distopia I would likely need and carry a gun at all times. However, in the society that we have today, I don't feel the benefits of gun ownership are large enough to justify the risks.

If our society collapsed into some Mad Max like distopia I would likely need and carry a gun at all times. However, in the society that we have today, I don't feel the benefits of gun ownership are large enough to justify the risks.

1st things 1st, not everyone who owns a gun carries around all the time and even if they did, what risk(s) are their in carrying a gun? If you are trained and responsible with it, you'll be in no danger at all. The gun isn't going to shoot without someone pulling the trigger.

I just wanted to know if Canadians ever take responsability for themselves? Your PM and mayor of Toronto blame the US for a gang related shooting. 

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/...e.ap/index.html

Canada blames U.S. for gun violence

They are Liberals. You expect them to take responsibility for themselves?

After all, we are a "gentle" nation. You don't think we would EVER curse or be rude??? :rolleyes:

Responsible gun owners are no threat to anyone. Hunters, outdoors people and the such don't murder with their weapons.

Gangs and hardended criminals, who illegally have guns, are the real issue.

Deal with gangs and violent criminals by keeping them locked up, no reason for such garbage to be in our communities.

The guns that cause problems in Canada won't be affected by a ban, because they are owned illegally in the first place. We caused our own problems in Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, ect through our ridiculous courts and immigration practices... the Americans aren't to blame at all.

I can immediately think of 1 group who will directly benefit from a handgun ban; the Hell's Angels.

Currently, in my area, a 25cal handgun goes for about $500. A Glock will run you about $1500. 30cal about $650. etc.

These are, of course, roughly the prices you'll pay if you buy from the Angels or an associated group.

(all estimates courtesy of an acquaintance with periferal association with Angels)

An outright ban on ALL handguns will, of course, cause the price of these black-market weapons to go up.

Can you say "Playing into their hands"???

I guess I worry about the innocents. In the U.S., for example, there were 802 accidental firearms deaths in 2001 (bound to be higher now). To me that's a good enough reason for concern and alarm. http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUT...NS/GUNSTAT.html

802 out of almost 300 million people.

Out of the 802, how many of those were unregistared and illegal guns?

There were 1,614 deaths in car accindents in Pennsylvania alone in 2001 (42,815 in US). Should we ban cars? They are far more deadly than guns per years.

I guess I worry about the innocents. In the U.S., for example, there were 802 accidental firearms deaths in 2001 (bound to be higher now). To me that's a good enough reason for concern and alarm. http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUT...NS/GUNSTAT.html

802 out of almost 300 million people.

Out of the 802, how many of those were unregistared and illegal guns?

There were 1,614 deaths in car accindents in Pennsylvania alone in 2001 (42,815 in US). Should we ban cars? They are far more deadly than guns per years.

You don't understand the Liberal Party of Canada. For Liberals, Canada is such a "nice and gentle" country that Canadians MUST have been influenced by those "evil NRA-induced Americans" with their "culture of guns." :D

There was a funny pictorial a few weeks ago in the Montreal Gazette. It showed Martin in Toronto with a police officer who had just arrested a man in his early 20s who just shot someone. The police officer said "He was born in Canada, acquired the gun in Canada, watched Canadian movies, never been outside Canada, etc." while Martin said "Damn those Americans!"

That is the Liberal Party's policy...blame the Americans, preach myths, and never take responsibility for their actions. For Canada's sake, I hope a Conservative government is up and coming...