Harper calls himself "Middle Class"

err

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what, Argus. I imagine at least a couple of people who post here went to Private School. They haven't made Peome Minister and probably not millions through their own efforts.

If my dad could get me a job as Maurice Strong's personal assistant, I bet I could make millions through my own efforts too. :)

-k

Martin was the son of a Member of Parliament - not the best paayed position, as we have seen. There was no family fortune behind them. The job was given to hom because he merited it. Do you think Power Corporation became what it is through the practise of nepotism?

Wow Eureka, what exactly were his special qualifications that got him in to Power Corp?

Outstanding undergraduate grades?

A lifetime of connections and access to the halls of power in the Liberal Party thanks to his father, a long-serving cabinet minister and oft-failed leadership aspirant.

Good job revenging your father Paul...

Martin was the son of a Member of Parliament - not the best paayed position, as we have seen. There was no family fortune behind them. The job was given to hom because he merited it. Do you think Power Corporation became what it is through the practise of nepotism?

Martin senior did a lot of favours for the Desmarais, and they paid him back, and backed Martin junior as someone who woujld be able to do even more favours for them in future. And it worked. They've made a fortune out of PM junion, far more than they lost in their cut rate fire sale to Martin Junior of a minor piece of their business empire.

Use your head. Only a few years after graduation, Martin was named president of a multi million dollar company? Then, half a dozen years later, the company was sold to him for nearly $200 million dollars, and he managed to get financial backing for that purchase. How?

He was an investment.

Did you see on the CTV website.... Some radio station wanted to see just how much of an "average guy" Harper was... And he didn't know how much milk or eggs cost.....

I don't really know for sure myself. I don't buy eggs, never have. My milk is delivered from a web site. I suppose I should go over the bill more often but I rarely do. I think it's close to five bucks per 4 litre bag.

But so what? Does anyone expect busy men like Harper to do their own grocery shopping? Middle class or not? That's what wives are for.

(yes, sexist, I know, but usually true nevertheless)

They still sell milk by the bag?

Well, I suppose that kind of response indicates you are not middle class, but some sort of rich guy elitist out of touch with ordinary Canadians.

Yeah,doubt my husband would know the price of jug or bag of milk either. Guess he's just outof touch with ordinary Canucks too.

Harper is middleclass, upper middle class, sure not rich.

I always wondered about Chretien, he was in politics virtually from birth and only had a brief sojorn in the Libs favourite Law firm but somehow retired a multimillionaire. Maybe his wife has a head for business?

I even bought a couple of biographies but neither shed light on this. His daughter married a Desmaris though, maybe a backwards dowry?

Nobody gets rich from their salary as a politician in Canada. They all wind up rich by the time they're done though. <_<

Look at Mulroney... on the board of directors of how many corporations.... Mike Harris on the board of director of how many corporations.... Margaret Thatcher...

While they're in office, they "do things" that help these companies, and when the're done, they end up on the boards of directors, with good compensation.... <_<

Nobody gets rich from their salary as a politician in Canada. They all wind up rich by the time they're done though. <_<

Look at Mulroney... on the board of directors of how many corporations.... Mike Harris on the board of director of how many corporations.... Margaret Thatcher...

While they're in office, they "do things" that help these companies, and when the're done, they end up on the boards of directors, with good compensation.... <_<

Let us not forget Jean Chretien, who was a small town lawyer of only a couple years experience when he entered parliament, and is now a multi-millionaire, somehow....

And Paul Martin, whose father was rewarded, and who was sort of "pre rewarded" by the Desmarais by selling him a shipping company for a song, and arranging for him to get $180 million in financing to buy it.

I always wondered about Chretien, he was in politics virtually from birth and only had a brief sojorn in the Libs favourite Law firm but somehow retired a multimillionaire. Maybe his wife has a head for business?

I even bought a couple of biographies but neither shed light on this. His daughter married a Desmaris though, maybe a backwards dowry?

Chretien took a brief sojourn in the private sector after Turner won the leadership. Everyone on the planet knew he would be leader next, and a law firm gave him a huge salary to join them. I'm quite certain they didn't trust him to actually do any work there, given he was a small town lawyer with all of about 2 years experience, and that two decades earlier. But they knew that whatever they paid him would be richly rewarded when he got into office again.

Add to that ten years or so as PM, never having to pay for housing, car, food, holidays, etc., on a quarter million dollar a year salary.

These slurs on Chretien and Martin are simply disgusting. There is no truth to any of it and I think it is time you began to use your heads for something relating to truth.

You have no idea what CSL was worth for example and a $180 million financing is more than a song

This is becoming libelous.

These slurs on Chretien and Martin are simply disgusting. There is no truth to any of it and I think it is time you began to use your heads for something relating to truth.

You have no idea what CSL was worth for example and a $180 million financing is more than a song

This is becoming libelous.

Truth.. I'm voting Conservative!! Try and sue that!!!