Harper calls himself "Middle Class"

err

"I'm trying not to make this election personal, (but) Mr. Martin obviously wouldn't probably be categorized as an ordinary working family man," said the Tory leader.

Later, at a rally in Peterborough, Harper told 250 supporters that he and his wife Laureen Teskey relate to them because they, too, are middle-class parents with child-care concerns.

"In this country, parents work hard. Laureen and I know when you're not rich — especially when kids are young — you sometimes have to make difficult, but loving choices."

As leader of the official Opposition, Harper earns a salary of $213,500 per year.

Harper woos `working families' - Says he relates to middle class

I guess we're supposed to get the impression that Harper's a "regular guy" with a "regular paycheque".... Most "middle class" Canadians wouldn't consider Harper's salary of $213,500 plus expenses a "middle class" salary.... And of course, with these economic times, $200K doesnt go very far... most Canadians can really identify with that ... can't they....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm trying not to make this election personal, (but) Mr. Martin obviously wouldn't probably be categorized as an ordinary working family man," said the Tory leader.

Later, at a rally in Peterborough, Harper told 250 supporters that he and his wife Laureen Teskey relate to them because they, too, are middle-class parents with child-care concerns.

"In this country, parents work hard. Laureen and I know when you're not rich — especially when kids are young — you sometimes have to make difficult, but loving choices."

As leader of the official Opposition, Harper earns a salary of $213,500 per year.

Harper woos `working families' - Says he relates to middle class

I guess we're supposed to get the impression that Harper's a "regular guy" with a "regular paycheque".... Most "middle class" Canadians wouldn't consider Harper's salary of $213,500 plus expenses a "middle class" salary.... And of course, with these economic times, $200K doesnt go very far... most Canadians can really identify with that ... can't they....

Stephen Harper's kids are into their teens now... Harper has been drawing the "Official Leader of the Opposition" paycheque for only 3 years. For most of his time as a parent he's held positions that I'd assume pay far less-- policy writer, political aide, NCC spokesman. I doubt these are particularly lucrative careers; I doubt the Harper family was earning much more than the typical Alberta family until the past 3 years. I'd expect that Harper could relate a lot more to the typical Canadian parent than, say, a shipping magnate or an auto-parts tycoon.

-k

Stephen Harper's kids are into their teens now... Harper has been drawing the "Official Leader of the Opposition" paycheque for only 3 years.  For most of his time as a parent he's held positions that I'd assume pay far less-- policy writer, political aide, NCC spokesman. I doubt these are particularly lucrative careers; I doubt the Harper family was earning much more than the typical Alberta family until the past 3 years.  I'd expect that Harper could relate a lot more to the typical Canadian parent than, say, a shipping magnate or an auto-parts tycoon.

-k

I have to agree, he's no millionaire! But, wait, who is?? ummm Martin??

Actually err, there would be a hell of a lot of Torontonians or Vancouverites that would agree with Harper. $200k means you are doing well, but you still ain't living high on the hog with that money.

kimmy is right. I would also guess that Layton, as a tenured professor, was making more in private life than was Harper.

I guess we're supposed to get the impression that Harper's a "regular guy" with a "regular paycheque".... Most "middle class" Canadians wouldn't consider Harper's salary of $213,500 plus expenses a "middle class" salary....  And of course, with these economic times, $200K doesnt go very far... most Canadians can really identify with that ... can't they....

Actually err, there would be a hell of a lot of Torontonians or Vancouverites that would agree with Harper. $200k means you are doing well, but you still ain't living high on the hog with that money.

kimmy is right. I would also guess that Layton, as a tenured professor, was making more in private life than was Harper.

I guess we're supposed to get the impression that Harper's a "regular guy" with a "regular paycheque".... Most "middle class" Canadians wouldn't consider Harper's salary of $213,500 plus expenses a "middle class" salary....  And of course, with these economic times, $200K doesnt go very far... most Canadians can really identify with that ... can't they....

One big difference is that neither Martin nor Layton try to depict themselves as "average families" who have to struggle... "middle class parents with childcare concerns"... "having to make difficult but loving choices"... <_<

(sorry, there wasn't a smiley that was puking or I would have used it...)

Bullsh*t Layton doesn't try and portray himself as an average family.

I like the addition at the end.

The CPC message is resonating with average Canadians. Let go the anger son or it will eat you up over the next four years. :lol:

One big difference is that neither Martin nor Layton try to depict themselves as "average families" who have to struggle... "middle class parents with childcare concerns"... "having to make difficult but loving choices"...  <_< 

One big difference is that neither Martin nor Layton try to depict themselves as "average families" who have to struggle... "middle class parents with childcare concerns"... "having to make difficult but loving choices"...  <_< 

Harper said he can relate to raising a family on a middle class budget. The facts of the matter indicate that he did so for about 10 years before becoming leader of the opposition.

Just admit that you got duped by the mention of Harper's current salary, forgot that he was earning much less when his kids were younger, and move on.

-k

Bio: Stephen HarperSource

Party: Conservative Party of Canada

Family : Married, two children.

Education : BA, MA in economics from University of Calgary.

Private career : Economist, computer programmer, parliamentary assistant, president of conservative lobby group National Citizens’ Coalition 1998 to 2001.

Politics : Founding member of Reform party and its first chief policy officer; first elected to Commons in 1993 as Reform MP. Did not seek a second term. Elected leader of Canadian Alliance in March 2002; elected MP for Calgary Southwest in May 2002; elected leader of the new Conservative Party of Canada in 2004

BA and an MA in economics and a computer programmer. How is it that he is supposed to be the average Canadian? I was not aware two degrees are needed to be average. I feel like such a failure. How anyone can say he was not making some serious cash or that his family was hard done by?

A computer programmer with two degrees has got to be worth $100,000+ per year. When did that become average for an income?

100K, are you kidding? You are a little out of touch with the job market. Barring some very direct, and valuable experience, I would bet most programmers don't make anywhere near that dough. btw, very few tech jobs care about the number of degrees you have...

A computer programmer with two degrees has got to be worth $100,000+ per year. When did that become average for an income?

I doubt that the average salaries of either people working as computer programmers, or people with MA degrees in Economics are outside the range most people consider middle class.

I also strongly doubt that his jobs as parliamentary assistant or with the NCC are outside the range most people consider middle class.

But then again, if people with a Masters or a job in the tech sector are the new upper crust, I guess that makes me an heiress! I'm going to go tell dad that since he's now part of the rich and famous, he should buy me a sportscar and a downtown loft.

-kimmy hilton

Martin did not grow up as a millionaire. He made it in the fashion beloved of the Right.

Family connections? He was given a huge break in the price when he was allowed to buy CSL. There was no rhyme or reason for that except, perhaps, that of his father's political connections and the belief he would one day move into his father's shoes and perform well. Which, of course, he has done. Giving him the shipping line for a song has paid off in influence for Desmarais.

Harper said he can relate to raising a family on a middle class budget.  The facts of the matter indicate that he did so for about 10 years before becoming leader of the opposition.

Just admit that you got duped by the mention of Harper's current salary, forgot that he was earning much less when his kids were younger, and move on.

Stephen Harper was first elected as an MP in 1993, and had his first child in 1996. I suppose he had to struggle on the MP's wage... didn't he.....

He isn't one. In fact, his family background is not only white-collar, it's Tory. Layton's father ran a Montreal engineering firm, and later sat as a Conservative MP, chairing the Progressive Conservative caucus and finally serving as a junior minister in Mulroney's cabinet. He died three years ago, after passing on political lessons to his social-democrat son. "He was very proud of the work that I did, and he expressed that very publicly, and to Brian Mulroney," Layton says. "I have to credit my dad, who chaired a very large caucus for eight years. He and I talked a great deal and he taught me how to ensure the caucus worked as a team." Any advice was sorely needed.

My name is Jack

Jack came from a long line of politicians.

His Mulroney Cabinet MP father taught him all he knows about politics.

That's was a Conservative party for those who didn't know.

quote:

Martin did not grow up as a millionaire. He made it in the fashion beloved of the Right.

Martin went to private school, not exactly the fodder of middle class, his father was a cabinet minister and was a Liberal leadership hopeful. The scuttlebut is that Strong promised he would make it up to Martin senior by making jr Prime Minister some day. And here we are. His entire career was with power corp. then CSL (which power corp spun off for him) and the Libs law firm.

The interesting thing is it seems nearly impossible to find anything out about Martin thats not PR or a ten second sound bite. He is truly teflon in terms of his actual thoughts.

As for what makes middle class, the left has been slowly pushing the idea that anything under $50k/yr is poor and anything over $100K is fithy rich.

quote:

Martin went to private school, not exactly the fodder of middle class, his father was a cabinet minister and was a Liberal leadership hopeful.

At least Martin never pretends to be middle class, or to "identify with their financial problems"....

quote:

Martin went to private school, not exactly the fodder of middle class, his father was a cabinet minister and was a Liberal leadership hopeful.

At least Martin never pretends to be middle class, or to "identify with their financial problems"....

Oh, get over yourself. Kimmy explained it to you in plain and clear.

It is not necessary to identify, whatever that means, to know. I suspect that Martin knows far better than Harper. Ni matter what school Martin went to, it is a fact that his early circumstances were not spent with wealth.

Harper, who never got outside of his office in his career until his taste for barbeques got the better of his personality, probably could only identify with Harper.

Yaaaaawn,

Martin went to private schools, moved in the circles of the wealthy and powerful.

Say what you will, Harper has a far more middle-class background than Martin.

It is not necessary to identify, whatever that means, to know. I suspect that Martin knows far better than Harper. Ni matter what school Martin went to, it is a fact that his early circumstances were not spent with wealth.

Harper, who never got outside of his office in his career until his taste for barbeques got the better of his personality, probably could only identify with Harper.

Harper said he can relate to raising a family on a middle class budget.  The facts of the matter indicate that he did so for about 10 years before becoming leader of the opposition.

Stephen Harper was first elected as an MP in 1993, and had his first child in 1996. I suppose he had to struggle on the MP's wage... didn't he.....

Well, during Harper's term from 1993 to 1997 an MP's salary was $65,000. That's certainly middle class by most peoples' estimation.

Gov't of Canada: MP compensation

It wasn't until 2001 that MP salaries received a hefty bump (to $130,000 and up.)

-k

Drivel. Martin's father was a powerful cabinet minister and favoured friend of the filthy rich Desmarais clan. He was an MP before Martin Junior could walk, and a cabinet minister by the time he was 12. Martin Junior. He attended private schools before going to the University of Ottawa - and you can be damned sure he didn't need a student loan or summer job as a waiter to pay his tuition. After university he walked straight into a coveted job as an executive assistant with the Desmarais.