Vote in PEI On New Way to Elect Govt.

This is interesting, wonder if it will trickle down to other provinces, or up to the federal level.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ite-051128.html

P.E.I. votes on new way to elect government

Last Updated Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:46:55 EST

CBC News

Polls are now open in a historic vote in Prince Edward Island that could result in major changes to how the province elects its provincial government.

Islanders are being asked to vote Monday on a plebiscite that could see voting switch to a system with two ballots.

It's called Mixed Member Proportional, or MMP, and it would be a change from the current practice – in the province and across the country – where the candidate with the most votes wins.

This is often referred to as the first-past-the-post system. In races with more than two candidates, it can mean that more people voted for the other candidates, when combined, than voted for the winner.

The plebiscite asks voters: Should Prince Edward Island change to the Mixed Member Proportional System as presented by the Commission on P.E.I.'s Electoral Future?

scriblett

This is certainly good news and ABOUT TIME.

And why is it small province like P.E.I. would be one of the first to progress to a system of proportional representation in this case Mixed Member Proportional or MMP.

The only concern I have is that the 60% requirement is a little high to establish this system and should be reduced to 50% or there is a possibility this system could never be established as with in the case of B.C. who rang in with 57% and will only get another chance to vote in this plebiscite in 2008.

I to would like to see this MMP or similar at the federal level as our present system is simply not working to reflect a more democratic representation of the way Canadians feel.

The results are back already and for the second time this year voters rejected proportional representation.

This is bad news and although this plebiscite was provincial in nature clearly reflects (the real reason) I suspect is the fear of possible federal disassociation with P.E.I. and the same can said about B.C. although the official reason given was different.

This serves as an indicator the political stranglehold the Liberals have on Canada and change and support in the area of proportional representation will be hard to come by.

The idea Canada is goverened as a single Party state is alive and well and looks like democratic chage will take a back seat to dictatorial government concerning provincial or federal governments.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...cite051128.html