Martin to press Rice on guns

You wrote- "Let,s not forget who passed into law the Canadian Multicultural Act 1988; our old friend Brian Mulroney."

Well, lets not forget who passed multiculturalism as state policy way back in 1971 and became part of our constitution in 1982 both times owing to our old friend Pierre Trudeau.

I wonder who Canadian aboriginals blame it on.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now more back to the topic after Condoleezza rice told Canada to temper it's "apocalyptic language" if it wants to resolve the softwood lumber dispute.

It will be interesting to note Washington's reaction to an admant Paul Martin that Canada has no plans to negotiate the $3.5 billion Canada has already been awarded by a NAFTA panel and that the same goes for an additional $1.5 billion he fully expects Canda to win concerning pay back duties collected on Canadain soft wood lumber.

Multiculturalism is a mistake, an ugly mistake at that. I said it 20 years ago I repeat it now; two cultures living in close proximity without significant integration will develop hostility. It’s happened everywhere else on earth it will happen here.

I understand the philosophy behind it, I understand the reasoning, but in this the US very much has the right idea (if the wrong implementation) bringing people together without consideration to there culture will always be far more productive then separating them by it.

On the gun control however, I think that we should just go through the motions of legalizing pot, and then suggest to the US that we might not legalize pot if they control the guns coming across the border a little better. It’s called hardball and our balls are just as big as theirs are.

On the gun control however, I think that we should just go through the motions of legalizing pot, and then suggest to the US that we might not legalize pot if they control the guns coming across the border a little better. It’s called hardball and our balls are just as big as theirs are.

I wouldn't call that "hardball". It's more like blackmail.

Kids try that all the time. And sometimes, depending on the parent, they even get away with it.

George Bush is a good father.

I personally cannot find a purpose in legalizing hand guns, or their use in self defence for that matter. The only person who would need to use a hand gun for self defence is a person who is being attacked by somebody with a hand gun.

Hand guns serve no purpose, and if target practice is so important to firearm owners, confine it to the facilities which offer target practice.

People who shoot guns need to find a better hobby, one that doesn't put the lives of Canadians in jeopardy. If you're so eager to shoot things, either move down to the states or pop in a videogame.

The Bush administration has breached NAFTA agreements, thus they should held responsible. I certainly hope Paul Martin will continue pressuring the Republican Government. A viable solution would be to impose export tarrifs on energy flow. Canada is sitting in a pretty powerful situation at the moment. For China is a superpower in the making, in need of constant energy supply. So if the Americans want to lose their # 1 energy exporter over a softwood lumber dispute, be my guest, because we're the ones sitting on the valuables, not the Americans, thus we are the ones with the power, contrary to popular belief.

The Bush administration has breached NAFTA agreements, thus they should held responsible. I certainly hope Paul Martin will continue pressuring the Republican Government. A viable solution would be to impose export tarrifs on energy flow. Canada is sitting in a pretty powerful situation at the moment. For China is a superpower in the making, in need of constant energy supply. So if the Americans want to lose their # 1 energy exporter over a softwood lumber dispute, be my guest, because we're the ones sitting on the valuables, not the Americans, thus we are the ones with the power, contrary to popular belief.

99% of all Canada's energy exports go to the US. That's the way it will be too in the future. The government of Canada cannot and will not dictate to the likes of EnCana, Canadian Natural Resources, etc, whom to sell to.

And Canadian exports of natural gas and oil account for 7% of all America's energy consumption, so let's not blow Canada out of proportion.

Decrease trade from the world's biggest beacon of freedom--your next door neighbor-- for increased trade with the world's biggest communist dictatorship?

Well, gee, if it causes Canada to make more money???

Then yes.

Consider that the world's biggest beacon of freedom has many, many, MANY major corporations who have large factories in China, producing their goods at cut-rates due to low labour costs.

Those same goods are being sold in Canada as well as the USA.

If the USA has any sort of problem with Canada having dealings with China, they should look first to their own corporations before they complain about us.

"Beacon of freedom". Heh heh.

I guess their idea of "freedom" doesn't extend to free trade.

After all, being so "free", I guess they figure they have the freedom to renege on the deals they've signed.

And Canadian exports of natural gas and oil account for 7% of all America's energy consumption, so let's not blow Canada out of proportion.

I'm pretty sure that Canada is a net importer of American power at this point. We may ship them oil, but we import electricity to make up for it.

Yaro

Canada is a net exporter of oil, natural gas, coal uranium and hydropower.

The facts regarding your dubious concern relating to electricity is that Canada in 2003 exported 29.3 Bkwh of electricity to the U.S. while importing 23.6 Bkwh from the U.S.

Blackouts in Canada are not related to total exports and are a seasonal event and basically call for increased domestic production to curb this temporary situation which does make us rely on U.S. imports of hydro during times of abnormal peak demands.

PocketRocket:

Then yes.

You sound like ChIraq, Schroeder, Putin, Chretien or PMPM. Money is the most important thing--those brown-skinned Iraqis be damned.

Consider that the world's biggest beacon of freedom has many, many, MANY major corporations who have large factories in China, producing their goods at cut-rates due to low labour costs.

If only Canada had "many, many, MANY major corporations...."

If the USA has any sort of problem with Canada having dealings with China, they should look first to their own corporations before they complain about us.

Those darn Amuricans better watch out or we'll burn down their White House again! Well, maybe the Brits will do it, so we can again take credit for it.

Who in the hell is going to stop Alberta from selling its oil to whom it wants?

Besides, I saw this from the Glove and Mail today: TD boss Ed Clark says he has no interest in chasing the Chinese dragon, and is instead focusing his external growth ambitions on the U.S. market. Through its TD Waterhouse brokerage, TD once had a small presence in Hong Kong, but that has since been shuttered. The bank has no beachheads on the mainland.

Thank goodness there are some Canadians who don't put their knee-jerk anti-Americanism ahead of economic interests.

A Canadian is sneering at America's freedom? A Canadian? Someone from the country that fines people $1500 for whispering (going out of his way to make sure this wasn't heard) to another person that someone in a car dealership was gay? Someone from the country who suspends teachers for writing a letter to the editor (while off-duty from work) supporting the traditional definition of marriage? Someone from a country that drags a Bishop into a human rights commission for daring to say that homosexuality undermines the foundation of family. Someone from a country that does not have hearings on Supreme Court judges (like the US), but instead the PM merely picks whoever he wants? Someone from a country that drags a politician in front of a human rights commission for daring to say that Native Indians are involved in a disproportionate amount of crime? Someone from a country that has a province where it is ILLEGAL to make billboards, product packaging, road signs and advertisements in English unless French is given greater predominance? The Language Police will impose fines of up to $7000 PER OFFENSE for noncompliance measure the lettering of English on business signs. While it's illegal to use English in Quebec for these things, by contrast, in the US it is illegal to discriminate against anyone for using whatever language they wish. I'm no fan of the ACLU, but if Canada ever tried to pull this type of cultural discrimination in the US, the ACLU would be on the warpath.

I'm constantly amazed at the smugness and arrogance of many Canadians when it comes to the US.

I guess their idea of "freedom" doesn't extend to free trade.

Much like Canada.

After all, being so "free", I guess they figure they have the freedom to renege on the deals they've signed.

Like Canada and the WTO ruling.

PocketRocket:

Then yes.

You sound like ChIraq, Schroeder, Putin, Chretien or PMPM. Money is the most important thing--those brown-skinned Iraqis be damned.

Congratulations on being able to come up with a glib reply. Two, actually.

Unfortunately in so doing you've revealed that you're more concerned with being glib than with being consistent.

The USA does it, it's okay, but if Canada trades with China, then we're bad, bad people.

I'm constantly amazed at the smugness and arrogance of many Canadians when it comes to the US.

Just as I am constantly amazed at the smugness and arrogance of many Canadians who seem to feel that the big, bad USA can do no wrong, even when it is doing exactly the same thing that you rail against Canada POSSIBLY doing in the future.

Those darn Amuricans better watch out or we'll burn down their White House again! Well, maybe the Brits will do it, so we can again take credit for it.

Obfuscation not worthy of a reply.

More of the same.

Besides, I saw this from the Glove and Mail today:  TD boss Ed Clark says he has no interest in chasing the Chinese dragon, and is instead focusing his external growth ambitions on the U.S. market. Through its TD Waterhouse brokerage, TD once had a small presence in Hong Kong, but that has since been shuttered. The bank has no beachheads on the mainland.

Thank goodness there are some Canadians who don't put their knee-jerk anti-Americanism ahead of economic interests.

No one is forcing any Canadian-owned corporation to trade with China, or anyone else, for that matter.

I suppose they are free to trade with whom they choose.

A Canadian is sneering at America's freedom? A Canadian? Someone from the country that yadda yadda yadda.....blather rant rave.

Actually, I was chuckling, yes. But not "sneering" at America's freedom, rather laughing at a Canadian who acts like a wanna-be American, while sneering at virtually everything done by his own nation.

In your eyes, it seems that the USA can do no wrong, and Canada can do no right.

If you REALLY love the USA so much......nah, it's been said before, and you sneered at that, too.

Pocket Rocket:
This site.....

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

.....shows Canada with a homicide rate only 1/4 that of the USA.

It also shows Canada having nearly (per capita) 2.5 more rapes than the US, and 50% more robbery victims than the USA (per capita).

In all honesty, I didn't notice because that was not relevant to the conversation and had not been brought into question in the thread.

In fact, I still haven't bothered to go back and look.

But I can say that I'm sure most people would far rather be murdered than simply robbed, or even raped :rolleyes:

Pocket Rocket:
This site.....

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

.....shows Canada with a homicide rate only 1/4 that of the USA.

It also shows Canada having nearly (per capita) 2.5 more rapes than the US, and 50% more robbery victims than the USA (per capita).

In all honesty, I didn't notice because that was not relevant to the conversation and had not been brought into question in the thread.

In fact, I still haven't bothered to go back and look.

But I can say that I'm sure most people would far rather be murdered than simply robbed, or even raped :rolleyes:

That has to be one of the lamest replies I've seen from you yet.

Don't bring up Canada's horrid rape and robbery epidemic!! It's "not relevant" to the conversation!! (Translation: Don't you dare bring up something that makes Canada look worse than the USA; a true Canadian hates the USA with every fibre of their being).

PocketRocket:

Then yes.

Congratulations on being able to come up with a glib reply. Two, actually.

Unfortunately in so doing you've revealed that you're more concerned with being glib than with being consistent.

The USA does it, it's okay, but if Canada trades with China, then we're bad, bad people.

Just as I am constantly amazed at the smugness and arrogance of many Canadians who seem to feel that the big, bad USA can do no wrong, even when it is doing exactly the same thing that you rail against Canada POSSIBLY doing in the future.

Obfuscation not worthy of a reply.

More of the same.

Besides, I saw this from the Glove and Mail today:  TD boss Ed Clark says he has no interest in chasing the Chinese dragon, and is instead focusing his external growth ambitions on the U.S. market. Through its TD Waterhouse brokerage, TD once had a small presence in Hong Kong, but that has since been shuttered. The bank has no beachheads on the mainland.

No one is forcing any Canadian-owned corporation to trade with China, or anyone else, for that matter.

I suppose they are free to trade with whom they choose.

A Canadian is sneering at America's freedom? A Canadian? Someone from the country that yadda yadda yadda.....blather rant rave.

Actually, I was chuckling, yes. But not "sneering" at America's freedom, rather laughing at a Canadian who acts like a wanna-be American, while sneering at virtually everything done by his own nation.

In your eyes, it seems that the USA can do no wrong, and Canada can do no right.

If you REALLY love the USA so much......nah, it's been said before, and you sneered at that, too.

Folks, don't feed the troll.

It never has anything of interest to say. ;)

Here's something for Shakeyhands and PR to munch on:

Globe & Mail: PMPM Pulled Anti-Gun Stats From "Thin Air"

OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Paul Martin incorrectly blamed the United States for gun crime in Canada by using an unsubstantiated figure to assert that 50 per cent of this country's gun crimes involve smuggled firearms, U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins said yesterday.

Mr. Wilkins said that Canadian officials admitted in meetings with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice this week "that that figure was just grabbed out of thin air." He insisted the Canadian government should focus on joint efforts to combat gun-running rather than pointing fingers.

The figure, which others have used previously, is not based on any statistical study that could be traced by The Globe and Mail, and police forces and other authorities said yesterday it is not verifiable.

"I know that figure of 50 per cent has been bandied about, but no one can substantiate that figure," said Staff Sergeant Paul Marsh, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I know it's very important to blame guns and to demonize America, but the Liberal Party really need to invest in a better Ministry of Lies and Propaganda.

I wonder what the trolls on this board will have to say about this. :lol:

Yaro

Canada is a net exporter of oil, natural gas, coal uranium and hydropower.

The facts regarding your dubious concern relating to electricity is that Canada in 2003 exported 29.3 Bkwh of electricity to the U.S. while importing 23.6 Bkwh from the U.S.

Blackouts in Canada are not related to total exports and are a seasonal event and basically call for increased domestic production to curb this temporary situation which does make us rely on U.S. imports of hydro during times of abnormal peak demands.

I understand very well the nature of season brown outs not that it has anything to do with anything. I read an article recently that stated Canada as a whole imports more energy from the US then it exports, although it might have been specifically electrical energy. The article never made much of an impact.

And it shows Spain as having 1/7th, and Russia as having 1/14th and the rape capital of the planet (Brazil) isn't even on the list. In fact you will notice that the countries at the top of the list are the ones that rape is actually likely to be reported. Rape being one of the most underreported crimes on the planet it’s hardly surprising.

That’s a fine position to take, just don't ever pretend to have the moral high ground again.

Not that I would expect you to know this but Canadians are on average among the worlds largest holders of fortune 500 stock. Canada as represented by Canadians does have many, many, MANY major corporations.

Besides, I saw this from the Glove and Mail today: TD boss Ed Clark says he has no interest in chasing the Chinese dragon, and is instead focusing his external growth ambitions on the U.S. market. Through its TD Waterhouse brokerage, TD once had a small presence in Hong Kong, but that has since been shuttered. The bank has no beachheads on the mainland.

Yes I am sure you have a very good view of what is in Canada's economic interest from your van down by the river. Not that I would expect you to even understand anything that Ed Clark says but the reason has focusing on the US is because (as every big league investor knows) large collapses like the one coming to the US are perfect opportunities for foreign investors to sweep in and buy up all sorts of goodies at rock bottom prices. Hell I know that when the US housing market collapses I will be investing millions if not tens of millions in US housing.

A Canadian is sneering at America's freedom? A Canadian? Someone from the country that fines people $1500 for whispering (going out of his way to make sure this wasn't heard) to another person that someone in a car dealership was gay? Someone from the country who suspends teachers for writing a letter to the editor (while off-duty from work) supporting the traditional definition of marriage? Someone from a country that drags a Bishop into a human rights commission for daring to say that homosexuality undermines the foundation of family. Someone from a country that does not have hearings on Supreme Court judges (like the US), but instead the PM merely picks whoever he wants? Someone from a country that drags a politician in front of a human rights commission for daring to say that Native Indians are involved in a disproportionate amount of crime? Someone from a country that has a province where it is ILLEGAL to make billboards, product packaging, road signs and advertisements in English unless French is given greater predominance? The Language Police will impose fines of up to $7000 PER OFFENSE for noncompliance measure the lettering of English on business signs. While it's illegal to use English in Quebec for these things, by contrast, in the US it is illegal to discriminate against anyone for using whatever language they wish. I'm no fan of the ACLU, but if Canada ever tried to pull this type of cultural discrimination in the US, the ACLU would be on the warpath.

I certainly won't defend some of the more ridiculous things that have happened in Canada but this mashed set of paragraphs displays with startling clarity the fact that you have no idea what your talking about. I guess you missed the recent rulings on eminent domain, on the SS investigations into a high schoolers report, and the nature of CIA operations overseas. I understand that you love to insult Canada and I really don't have a problem with you doing so, but again I am forced to ask why you don't do it from the US side of the border? Oh that’s right; they only want someone who actually has a useful skill set.

Much like Canada.

Has Canada breached a free trade agreement that I am unaware of?

Like Canada and the WTO ruling.

Sure if the WTO ruling had any relevance, but seeing as how the WTO only has relevance in disputes not covered by NAFTA its just another case of you blowing smoke out your ass.

Once again nobody brings together the non-consequential and the downright ludicrous like our beloved Mr. Burns. I tend to think that if you spent half as much energy on improving your life as you do on whining you might actually get somewhere but I doubt it.

Yaro

You wrote- "Canada as a whole imports more energy from the U.S. than it exports, although it might have been specifically electrical energy."

The fiqure I gave indicate Canada as a whole exported 29.3 billion kilowatt-hrs. and imported 23.6 billion kilowatt hrs. from the U.S. This is electrical energy we are talking about.

Do you have a link regarding your article?

I'm pretty sure that Canada is a net importer of American power at this point. We may ship them oil, but we import electricity to make up for it.

Canada is a net exporter of energy, including electricity to the US.

Overview

Canada produced 548.9 billion kilowatt hours (Bkwh) of electricity in 2002, while the country consumed 487.3 Bkwh. Some 57% of Canada’s electricity generation comes from hydroelectricity, followed by conventional thermal (28%), nuclear (13%), and other renewables (1%).

Canada enjoys a vigorous electricity trade with the United States, and the electricity networks of the two countries are heavily integrated. In 2003, Canada exported 29.3 Bkwh of electricity to the United States while importing 23.6 Bkwh from the United States. In recent years, Canadian exports to the U.S. have decreased while imports have increased, because investment in Canadian generating capacity has not matched increased domestic demand.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/canada.html