Trust

"It seems obvious to me that, given a choice, people will always place more trust in a personal relationship than an institutional one. And it's a sound instinct."
Saskatoon Star Phoenix

The above quote is from Colby Cosh and he is talking about webloggers and newspaper jounalists. The article is very interesting and discusses how weblogs are changing journalism.

I think rather that people trust institutions more than individuals. Most people put their money in a bank and the Catholic Church is a large institution. When we fly, we don't trust the pilot; we trust the institution that hired her or him.

I used to buy a newspaper regularly but now I buy them infrequently. I usually glance at the front pages of them in the newsstand. It is clear to me that newspapers are struggling desperately with the Internet.

Guest Warwick Green
I think rather that people trust institutions more than individuals.  Most people put their money in a bank and the Catholic Church is a large institution.  When we fly, we don't trust the pilot; we trust the institution that hired her or him.

Can you generalize? Financial institutions sometimes go bankrupt or defraud. The Catholic Church's halo is now well tarnished. I can think of people I would trust a lot more than Enron. Then against I know some people who are downright untrustworthy.

As related to the media the trouble with that is the hero complex. You put too much trust in this one human, and believe / follow / promote their views without thinking enough about it. I suppose its also true with the institutionalized media, but I find it moreso with bloggers, which I guess is an arguement to support August's quote.

I think the scenario is interesting when applied to purchasing goods. Personally, I would trust a future shop, best buy, or local computer store before I would trust the dude selling refurbed laptops out of his basement. Most likely, the independant seller's goods are just as good, if not better than the shop's, but still I would trust the highly visible, regulated by government seller.

Most likely, the independant seller's goods are just as good, if not better than the shop's, but still I would trust the highly visible, regulated by government seller.
Speaking of institutions, many people seem to trust the government - and yet the government's visible face, our political leaders, is often a source of great mistrust.
Can you generalize? Financial institutions sometimes go bankrupt or defraud. The Catholic Church's halo is now well tarnished.
I chose the Catholic Church for that reason. And indeed, many people lend money to family members rather than put it in a bank.
I can think of people I would trust a lot more than Enron. Then against I know some people who are downright untrustworthy.
I agree. The question of trust is more complicated than merely "human face" or "corporate logo". IOW, I think Cosh is wrong. Weblogs are not going to be more successful than newspapers because they inspire trust on a personal level.

Then again, I see serious problems ahead for newspapers. Why pay all that money for research when someone else can come along and take it for free? As to weblogs, I don't see them as viable alternative to newspapers in the long run, unless someone figures out a way to generate income.