Is everyone so racist in the US?

TML, you should have seen my Canadian NDPer friend's face fall when her visions of a Europe who would embrace her Canadianness fell to a tough and frozen earth.

I took her out pubbing in London and she encountered either apathy towards her Canadianness or worse, a bit of condescension towards the "colonial." She was crestfallen.

But it was nothing compared to the time we spent in Milan drinking, when some Italians informed her that "Canada is nothing more than a vassal of the United States." She was very indignant and pushed on World Wars I and II (they insisted Canada's army was insignificant) and they ended by insisting that Canada is "enslaving its French population under a British tyranny."

She later said, with some shock in her voice, "I think they hate Canadians as much as Americans here."

Not quite, but she learned the first lesson of Europe -- everyone not from your country is evil, everyone not from your part of your country is stupid, and everyone not from your village/town/city is corrupt. ;)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I cannot forget the English guy who insisted that Canada is "more European" than the United States. He was an expert on both countries -- he had spent a few days in Montreal and a few days in Orlando and thus was highly qualified to expound at great length about both countries. ;)

He got a bit stuck when I asked him to choose the "more European" of the two in a few of the following pairs:

1) Boston or Calgary;

2) Vancouver or Hartford;

3) Toronto or New York City;

4) Iqaluit or Millinocket;

5) San Francisco or Scarborough.

:D

TML, you should have seen my Canadian NDPer friend's face fall when her visions of a Europe who would embrace her Canadianness fell to a tough and frozen earth.

I took her out pubbing in London and she encountered either apathy towards her Canadianness or worse, a bit of condescension towards the "colonial." She was crestfallen.

But it was nothing compared to the time we spent in Milan drinking, when some Italians informed her that "Canada is nothing more than a vassal of the United States." She was very indignant and pushed on World Wars I and II (they insisted Canada's army was insignificant) and they ended by insisting that Canada is "enslaving its French population under a British tyranny."

She later said, with some shock in her voice, "I think they hate Canadians as much as Americans here."

Not quite, but she learned the first lesson of Europe -- everyone not from your country is evil, everyone not from your part of your country is stupid, and everyone not from your village/town/city is corrupt. ;)

:rolleyes:

That's why we need to get past these trivial things and take pride in the fact that we are North Americans...hell if France and Germany can have better relations than Canada and the U.S. we are in DEEP trouble... :o

On a similar note, a friend of mine was backpacking through Europe and wound up in Spain. When a woman asked her where she was from, she said "Canada." The woman began talking politics with her and remarked that "Canadians are no different from Americans." This shook up my friend, who responded "this is not so." The women said, "Tell me how your different."

Naturally, my friend was dumbfounded.

We'll hope for the best on this end in the meantime... :)

Oh, I cannot forget the English guy who insisted that Canada is "more European" than the United States. He was an expert on both countries -- he had spent a few days in Montreal and a few days in Orlando and thus was highly qualified to expound at great length about both countries. ;)

He got a bit stuck when I asked him to choose the "more European" of the two in a few of the following pairs:

1) Boston or Calgary;

2) Vancouver or Hartford;

3) Toronto or New York City;

4) Iqaluit or Millinocket;

5) San Francisco or Scarborough.

:D

:lol:

I love the Toronto/New York City one. Considering 90% of Toronto supports the anti-American Liberals it should come as a *shock* that Toronto's lifelong goal is to become the Canadian New York City.

They're still working on it...

When I lived there, TO always reminded me more of a smaller, cleaner Chicago than New York. Well, except for it's resolute conviction that it was the only place in the country with any importance whatsoever, a definite similarity with residents of Manhattan (but not the rest of New York City). ;)

I have only spent a day in Toronto. It is a nice city, but definitely not Manhattan. I have never been to Chicago.

And yes, the people there are quite convinced they *define* Canada... ;):lol:

Care to explain why you find the U.S. distasteful? Because it sounds like more whining from the Canadian left. A better place for what?

Read the previous posts and figure it out. I'm not in or from Canada or left-leaning.

Immigrants to Canada and the U.S. don't know how good they have it. And many of them are grateful. It is too bad that many of them don't respect their duty.

It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. At all.

Care to explain why you find the U.S. distasteful? Because it sounds like more whining from the Canadian left. A better place for what?

Read the previous posts and figure it out. I'm not in or from Canada or left-leaning.

Immigrants to Canada and the U.S. don't know how good they have it. And many of them are grateful. It is too bad that many of them don't respect their duty.

It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. At all.

The only post I find from you says "yeah you think they are racist."

So where are you from if not Canada or the States. And yes as someone who has lived in both Canada and the U.S. and worked with immigrants from both countries, I will gladly tell you that many immigrants are proud and good people, while others are not loyal to their new country and do not respect it.

Im confused about something, i have not seen a straight answer either way.

Are you from either Canda or the United States? simple question.

Yeah I'd like to know that too...

Then we can have a debate about why TooInvolved think all Americans are racist.

Im confused about something, i have not seen a straight answer either way.

Are you from either Canda or the United States? simple question.

Yeah I'd like to know that too...

Then we can have a debate about why TooInvolved think all Americans are racist.

well if hes from neither there would be reason to debate with him.

US hate crimes in 2003 *its believed that hate crimes are widely unreported.*

http://hate-crime.website-works.com/hate-students.htm#STATS

Race hate crimes according to those statistics make up 52.5 percent of all reported hate crimes in the US. (9100 victims)

ill admit i didnt put a whole lot of effort in verifying my source so if anyone has a better qualified statistic by all means post it.

Heres a great site on America crime. http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm

I've been attacked for being gay three times -- all in the USA -- but don't think that makes "most Americans homophobic."

And I think homophobia is far more common than racism in the USA.

Hmm, intresting you brought that up, did you see the statistics for sexual orientation percentages vs all other hate related crimes?

Very few *reported* gay crimes, ill call it that for lack of better word, i think the figure was 16 percent? Now i realize 1 percent is 1 to many but the fact that you had 3 is amazing considering the statistics of it. Did you report your attacks?

I reported two of the three attacks, the third time was in Iowa and I doubt the police would have been sympathetic.

In several cases, especially in the midwest and south, it's the police doing the attacking! Several years ago, a couple of police beat the shit out of some Canadian kids on the San Antonio riverwalk because they thought they were gay, and then arrested them for "resisting arrest."

Someone called and asked "what charge were you arresting them for where they were resisting arrest?" and the head cop basically said "Don't get all technical and legalistic on me."

If I lived in San Antonio, I wouldn't report being attacked to the police. I would carry a weapon.

Then that explains why I find it distasteful. I believe that was an answer to the original question. Call it whining if you want.

I'm from the US - born here. I didn't say I wasn't from here, just not an immigrant to the US.

Using your own logic.

I disagree that most Americans are racist.

Then that explains why I find it distasteful. I believe that was an answer to the original question. Call it whining if you want.

I'm from the US - born here. I didn't say I wasn't from here, just not an immigrant to the US.

Using your own logic.

I disagree that most Americans are racist.

So do I...where in the U.S. do you live and would like to recount any specific issues of racism for us?

What a discussion - which country has the most overt racism?

Clearly it is Canada

I refer you to post #31 for your answer.

Wow newbie, you just made everything so much clearer... :lol:

There are plenty of hate groups in this country too in our history that have threatened a certain element of the populace...you must not be a Quebec anglophone who still shivers when he remembers the FLQ revival in 2001 when he goes into the SecondCup clutching his Montreal Gazette INSIDE his coat.

Didn't think so...

So do I...where in the U.S. do you live and would like to recount any specific issues of racism for us?

I live in the Northeast. High rate of hate crimes here, so I'm told. Blessedly, I don't know personally. I'm actually suing someone now for discrimination. I'd rather not discuss that until after the trial.

Has anyone here actually experienced racism besides me? Is it possible for you to experience it, if you get my drift...? And I don't mean "reverse racism."

T

Clearly it is Canada

There are plenty of hate groups in this country too in our history that have threatened a certain element of the populace...you must not be a Quebec anglophone who still shivers when he remembers the FLQ revival in 2001 when he goes into the SecondCup clutching his Montreal Gazette INSIDE his coat.

Didn't think so...

Please list all the hate groups in Canada, besides the dreaded FLQ. I don't think you can begin to compare with the list I provided.

I live in the Northeast. High rate of hate crimes here, so I'm told. Blessedly, I don't know personally. I'm actually suing someone now for discrimination. I'd rather not discuss that until after the trial.

Has anyone here actually experienced racism besides me? Is it possible for you to experience it, if you get my drift...? And I don't mean "reverse racism."

T

Well I worked in New York and I didn't encounter much racism except for a few isolated incidents which took place at a restaurant called "Boston Market" and I really think it was more about the quality of the service than about the race of the people involved.

Clearly it is Canada

Didn't think so...

Please list all the hate groups in Canada, besides the dreaded FLQ. I don't think you can begin to compare with the list I provided.

In a country 10 times the size newbie I think you have to adjust the amount of hate groups proportionally...