Tapes Might Have Been Edited

Easy there Shakey, no need to get your panties in a knot. :o

I am simply implying that obtaining and keeping power is the ONLY goal of these two (and quite likely all - except the BQ) political parties.

If it were not, this minority government would most likely be quite effective.

Easy there Shakey, no need to get your panties in a knot. :o

I am simply implying that obtaining and keeping power is the ONLY goal of these two (and quite likely all - except the BQ) political parties.

If it were not, this minority government would most likely be quite effective.

You should include the BQ - except they want to claim power but getting Quebequers to vote yes in a referendum. Different objectives - same ethics.

That the tapes appear to be edited does make me think worse of Grewal, but it doesn't make me think any better of Murphy and Dosage.

I.e. regardless of what the real evidence may be, you condemn them.

Regardless of what Grewal might have snipped from the tape, what's still there doesn't speak well for Murphy or Dosage. Whether they're sincere or not, they're certainly trying to lead Grewal into thinking favours will be granted in exchange for his vote.

Murphy's apparent belief that they could get the ethics commissioner to gloss things over for Grewal is a telling comment about the Liberals' mindset.

Nothing in the evidence so far indicates anyone was willing to try to tamper with the commisioner's findings. Murphy mused about seeking an interim report. Whoop de doo. It was still up the the commish whether he'd give it.

Murphy suggests he could approach the ethics commissioner as a political favor for Grewal. I find the suggestion offensive, and evidently so does Shapiro.

-k

Regardless of what Grewal might have snipped from the tape,

Snipped or inserted.

... what's still there doesn't speak well for Murphy or Dosage. Whether they're sincere or not, they're certainly trying to lead Grewal into thinking favours will be granted in exchange for his vote.

Well, I think they are entitled to tender some 'favours' for an MP to cross over. Specifically, I think it is reasonable for them to be allowed to offer any party role in Parliament, like Whip, committee seat, Parliamentary secretary, even Cabinet. I think it is also acceptable to agree to move on a legitimate policy concern of the Member, or to scrutinize the actions of the bureaucracy on a matter of interest to him. Since the parties allocate their own resources, including things like extra travel, administrative support, publicity opportunities, office selection etc., it could easily be these kinds of things (all acceptable, in my opinion) which amount to a 'furry welcome mat'.

Unacceptable offers, of which we have heard none, would be a senate seat, a judicial appointment, agreement to thwart the proceedings of an independent decisionmaker, or employment in a crown corporation, etc.

Murphy suggests he could approach the ethics commissioner as a political favor for Grewal. I find the suggestion offensive, and evidently so does Shapiro.

I don't see why. It's a perfectly reasonable thing for Murphy to want to do for any MP of his own party.

This statement is yet another example of completely unfounded accusations that are being accepted as fact. I just re-read the transcripts on Grewal's website. No where does it say Murphy would interfere with the Ethics commisioner.

What Murphy said he would do is he would help Grewal make his case that he did nothing wrong and ask that the Ethics commisioner issue an interim report. On another part of the tape Dosanj says explicitly says that "What I told Gurmant is that on the Ethics issue, there is nothing we can do. The matter is before the Ethics Commissioner."

I think this Grewal thing is starting to hurt the Cons far more than the Libs.

The allegations and experts who say that the tapes are doctored (2 exact audio pieces in two different positions), and missing tapes....it just gets incredibly honest.

This makes me me wonder why the Cons doctored the tapes. After all, if the tapes in their original form are so damming, then why doctor them?

Taping somebody without their knowledge is dishonest.

Witholding tapes is dishonest.

Editing tapes is completely dishonest.

Soliticiting bribes is dishonest.

The liberals playing 'footsies' is dishonest.

I'd have to say when it comes to relative evil, the Conservatives come out more evil than the liberals.

The Liberals were probably dealing, in all likelyhood, though I can't imagine why they'd want to attract regressives like the Grewals...they needed the votes; and I must admit, at least they didn't offer him the farm. In fact, they seem to have refused to give him quite a bit. I bet that must have stung.

The Cons on the other hand: wow. The editing of tapes...that's just incredibly sleaze.

It makes me smile too.

--------

If somebody from the Con party calls you asking you for your support, be sure to ask them outright if they're recording you. If they say they arn't, say 'bullshit' and hangup. lol.