Quebec is unhappy again.

taxme

Poor old Quebec. Crying and whining again. They want bilingualism for the rest of the country but leave Quebec out of that expensive sillyness. Apparently, the premier of Quebec is all upset and on the warpath again and against Premier Doug Ford for cancelling a planned french university to be built in Ontario. Doug says that is too expensive, and I would assume that it is not really needed anyway so, no french university to be built in Ontario. I am pretty sure that he could careless about expense as it is not his province's money. That french premier should be more concerned about his own province's debt and not Ontario's debt problems. Just build it and dam the cost or we will bring up that scary word called separatism again. And we do not want that. Ooooooooo. 

So, the french leader of a unilingual french speaking only province wants to butt into Ontario's business and wants Ontario to stay the course and become completely bilingual so as to keep Quebeckers happy and contented and will not want to think about separating from the rest of Canada. Never mind the fact that Quebec has traffic highway signs in french only while New Brunswick and Ontario have all their highway traffic signs bilingual. Anyone starting to see something wrong with this picture because they really is a problem. 

Of course the leftist liberal Canadian Anglophone media outfit like the CBC is trying to make it a prejudice story out of it now. It's front page news on the CBC today and all they seem to want to do is stir up, I mean, talk about. I guess nothing to whine and cry about Trump today. The American media is sleeping today about Trump so the CBC has nothing to talk today about Trump. So sad, eh? 

So, this french premier from Quebec wants to cry about how a french university is being denied to the french people living in Ontario. Such utter bull chit. If he wants his french people to have their own university for themselves than pay for one to be built. No problem then. But what I would really like to see is for Doug Ford and that useless gang at the CBC would ask the premier of Quebec this simple question? Why is Quebec's highway signs in french only when in Ontario and New Brunswick they are pretty much all bilingual? Why not Mr Premier of Quebec? The premier talks a lot about unity between the Anglophones and francophones but does not want to practice it. Can you imagine if an Anglophone premier were to ask that question what would happen to them? They would be attacked by the french and their own Anglophone cowardly media like the CBC and told that they should mind their own business and stay out of Quebec's anti-English program affairs. The English speaking people and their leaders and their media in this country sure do lack the marbles alright. It's pathetic to say the least. :unsure:

To use a Liberal word, I'm "outraged" with the way the CBC and The Star are covering this "story". They've rolled everything up into a convenient "Ford cutting Frencophone Servivces" headline. He's canceling a hail Mary Wynne election promise to build a Francophone University because we don't have the money! He's rolled the Commissioner position into the Ombudsman office. Where are the big "service cuts". Compare this to Trudeau telling our veterans that he "couldn't afford what they were asking for". Where is the CBC outrage on that. Quickly came and went. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Champlain said:

Legault was kinda obliged to at least talk about it. He probably knew he would not make Ford change his mind.  If something like Ford did happpen in Québec to the anglo community, the outcry would have been similar in English Canada. So spare me your outrage.

That's a big unfounded statement to make. Given historical precedence (language laws anyone?) I highly doubt you'd have seen the usual players like CBC, CTV, et al in high dudgeon over it. More than likely they'd pull their usual, "aren't our French Canadians just a wonderfull addition to our society" schtick.

Edited by AngusThermopyle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this issue involves symbolism more than anything else. Ontario has no dedicated French-language universities as far as I'm aware (In contrast to three English-language universities in Quebec) but does have bilingual post-secondary institutions. But all the Franco-Ontarians I know are fluent in English in any case. In fact, as knowledge of English is an economic necessity outside of Quebec, except perhaps in parts of northern New Brunswick, the issue of providing French services seems largely moot. It is bizarre, though, that politicians court immigrant votes by providing multilingual services and heritage language programs while expecting Francophones to assimilate, which most of them do. My Francophone paternal grandfather used to agree with the opinion of Rene Levesque that French-Canadians living outside of Quebec were doomed to assimilate. (I believe Levesque called them "dead ducks.") My grandfather was neither angry nor bitter about the situation. To him, it was just a fact of life. But downgrading the status of the French language outside of Quebec does send a message that Anglo-Canadians largely agree with Levesque's assessment. Perhaps we should ponder the implications of this. We can't realistically complain about Quebec's separateness or distinctiveness if this is a reality that we, too, appear to prefer.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, Centerpiece said:

To use a Liberal word, I'm "outraged" with the way the CBC and The Star are covering this "story". They've rolled everything up into a convenient "Ford cutting Frencophone Servivces" headline. He's canceling a hail Mary Wynne election promise to build a Francophone University because we don't have the money! He's rolled the Commissioner position into the Ombudsman office. Where are the big "service cuts". Compare this to Trudeau telling our veterans that he "couldn't afford what they were asking for". Where is the CBC outrage on that. Quickly came and went. 

The leftist liberal CBC will forever look for any excuse to attack people like conservative Doug Ford. They will take a story and twist it around to make it look bad to suit their end games of promoting lies and deceit. Have you noticed how quiet the CBC and the American media become these days since they won the house. The CBC needs the American media to start up attacking Trump about something then they will put their two pesos in. If not well they have to go nuts on some other useless news story in Canada that no one really cares about. What a useless outfit the CBC has become. A real waste of taxpayer's tax dollars. :unsure:

23 hours ago, Champlain said:

Legault was kinda obliged to at least talk about it. He probably knew he would not make Ford change his mind.  If something like Ford did happpen in Québec to the anglo community, the outcry would have been similar in English Canada. So spare me your outrage.

Bull chit. The Anglophone media and Anglophone politicians have done nothing to try and fight and protect Anglophone rights in Quebec. When the Anglophones are denied certain English language rights in Quebec the rest of Canada does not come to their rescue. They will say that it is none of their business. Yet this Legault guy can go to Ontario and try to get Ford to change his mind about the university not being built. If Ford were to go to Quebec and say something bad about the loss of some English rights in Quebec Ford would be booed by Quebeckers and the Anglophone politicians and media. So spare me your nonsense. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:10 AM, AngusThermopyle said:

That's a big unfounded statement to make. Given historical precedence (language laws anyone?) I highly doubt you'd have seen the usual players like CBC, CTV, et al in high dudgeon over it. More than likely they'd pull their usual, "aren't our French Canadians just a wonderfull addition to our society" schtick.

It's hard to believe that there exists language laws and language police in Canada? For a country that likes to pretend that Canada is a freedom loving country the charter of rights has put the nix too that one. How our fearless and dear leaders have allowed themselves to remain silent on this for all these decades is beyond me and that includes our so called Canadian media. It shows us all once again that Quebec can do whatever the hell it pleases and they can count on the federal government to do nothing about it. There is no doubt about it that Quebec truly does run Canada. I just hope that Doug Ford stands his ground and does not cave into Quebec and it's pretty much demanding that a french university be built in Ontario a promise made by Premier Wynne to the french in Ontario just for their votes. The taxpayer''s of Ontario just saved hundreds of millions of their tax dollars by not having this unnecessary university being built. 

They can thank Doug Ford for that. :)