Polls: We're back where we started at.

So anything good that happens here is because we've got more money?

Alberta has a lot of money. This makes almost anything easier to carry off. Except, seemingly, a sense of perspective.

Of course. But that wasn't the question. Look around on the net and you'll find Alberta lefties (like Black Dog) or Klein critics (like takeanumber) charging that Alberta doesn't spend enough on things like education and healthcare, and that Alberta's wealth is just wasted on corporate welfare and so on.

I read an article yesterday saying that Alberta students have obtained the best results in Canada in standardized testing (and in fact, Alberta students scored better than any country in the world except Hong Kong.) Ok, so I suppose we could give the Alberta department of education some credit, or we could just say they must have got the results by spending an unfair (relative to other provinces) amount of money. (I don't actually know what the spending per student was, relative to other provinces.) Now, if people who are accusing the government of underspending on education turn around and attribute these excellent results to overspending (relative to other jurisdictions) that's a bit of a logical dilemna, yes?

Sometime last year (probably during the health summit) I linked to a Globe % Mail article called "Alberta Doesn't Wear A Black Hat On Healthcare," probably written by Globe health-guy Andre Picard. I tried to find the article just now and couldn't; perhaps it's been recycled or something. Anyway, the theme of the article was that while Canadians tend to think of privatization when they think of Alberta and healthcare, Alberta also leads the country in areas like improved access to homecare, alternative delivery methods, and preventative medicine. While having money helps a lot, I don't think it's the whole story.

-k

{I've got a Big Rock ale in my left hand and a barbequed buffalo-burger in my right hand. How Albertan is THAT? B) }

Harper's problem is not that he is 'from the west'.  It's...

Don't forget his hair cut is worse then Donald Trump's!

This is just more Eastern spin. It's scientifically impossible to have worse hair than Donald Trump's! :angry:

Stephen should probably go back to SuperCuts and ask for his $10 back, though...

-k

Yeah Reagan, I know people in the oil/gas sector who only work 4 days a week, and take 3 hour lunch breaks. They call it 'networking'. I keep my mouth shut about it, and just scoff when they complain about their quality of life. (seriously). I don't believe that many of those people work nearly as hard as they claim.

I think that Alberta succeeds in spite of the Conservatives.

Moreover, I think that Canada works in spite of the Liberals. I think the Liberals will do a much better job of holding Canada together, sponsorship notwithstanding, than the Conservatives, who have everything to gain by seeing Quebec seperate.

It's what the Calgary School really wants: to be on par with Ontario in an ex-Quebec Confederation.

I'm sure you do know someone who only has to work 4 days a week. I'll tell you that it isn't the norm. As for complaining, who doesn't complain. It's human nature especially in Canada. As for Quebec separating, who cares if they do? What benefit does Quebec bring to Canada. All this keeping Canada together business has nothing to do with anything except emotional attachment. This country would be far better split up.

Four day work weeks are quite standard.  They argue that they work hard. 

I know quite a few ppl who do it.

Ok, now I know you're just full of $hit on this one. You're just being stubborn in an attempt to not lose a debate. You're over your head on this one. :P

There you have it Reagan: you don't like Quebec. I mean, why would you? Their values are different from yours, so why not seek to get rid of them?

C'mon now, answer the question. Why should we remain united other than emotional reasons? There isn't any reason. It has nothing to do with whether I like Quebec or not in fact I really do like them. Individually they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I have a lot more respect for them than Ontarians. I think it'd be a positive move to be separate from each other. I like Russians and Americans too but it doesn't mean I think our countries should be united. We have different cultures.

The economies of Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick are fairly intergrated.

How about that reason?

What about the french minorities of Acadia and northern Ontario? I'm sure they want Quebec to remain for a number of reasons.

Finally, values...aside from independence, the values of Quebeckers are very similar to those in the Maritimes and Ontario. It's Alberta that's the outlyer. People's with like values ought to stick together.

So, for economic and cultural reasons, Quebec should stay...though I'd prefer it if Quebec managed to support itself instead of sucking the wealth away from the rest of the country.

Ya but it's not like Quebec is going to disappear off the face of the earth, they'll still be there. I'm sure there would be plenty of trade agreements with them. If they were independent I'm sure they'd have lot more incentive to become more productive.

How about this. Ontario takes care of the Maritimes and Manitoba, and we'll take care of BC and Sask. Eh eh? In fact P.E. Trudeau had the same idea "Screw the West! We'll take the rest!!" :D

I hate to say I told you so to my right wing associates.  But I called it :P .  Kimmy you have to much confidence in Canadians to think they will stand up to corruption.

What corruption? Name one elected Liberal who has been charged with anything!

So some people who are employed by a company do something wrong to break the laws SO does that make every single member of that company guilty?

WONDERFUL justice really wonderful!

Hearsay,unproven accusations,lies and a Conservative bias media are the weapons of mass deception of the Conservatives! :angry:

I hate to say I told you so to my right wing associates.  But I called it :P .  Kimmy you have to much confidence in Canadians to think they will stand up to corruption.

What corruption? Name one elected Liberal who has been charged with anything!

So some people who are employed by a company do something wrong to break the laws SO does that make every single member of that company guilty?

WONDERFUL justice really wonderful!

Hearsay,unproven accusations,lies and a Conservative bias media are the weapons of mass deception of the Conservatives! :angry:

Sounds very much like the former CEO and President of Enron claiming they had nothing whatever to do with the illegal accounting practices. It was all someone else! How could they be expected to know anything!?