David Kilgour and Darfur

If Ottawa carries through with the plans it could also help the survival of Prime Minister Paul Martin, whose minority Liberal government will need the support of an independent legislator currently demanding Martin do more to help Sudan.

The Citizen quoted officials as saying Martin is personally directing the initiative, under which Canada would send 100 military advisors to the region and add to the C$70 million (C$56 million) it has already committed in aid.

Martin discussed the situation in Darfur this week with independent legislator David Kilgour, who wants Canada to become more involved in the region.

Kilgour is one of three independent parliamentarians whose votes will be crucial in a vote on non-confidence in the minority Liberal government which could come as early as this month. He says he has not yet decided how he would vote.

Yahoo news

So, aside from making a deal with Layton to shore up his minority, Martin appears to have obtained the support of Liberal ship-jumper David Kilgour; I haven't done a headcount, but this should bring Martin close to the point where it's not possible for the BQ and Conservatives to win a non-confidence vote even if they choose to.

Personally, I am supportive of more Canadian participation in helping resolve the situation in the Sudan, and if anything, the only disappointing thing here is that it took deal-making from a renegade MP to get a commitment on the topic. I think that this is the kind of representation that Edmonton-Beaumont voters were hoping for from their MP when they narrowly returned Kilgour to office. Good job, Mr Kilgour. :)

-k

I think this was an honorable move by Kilgour. When I first heard that he made a deal with Martin ( :( ) I was waiting to hear that he was being promised a Senate or Ambassador position upon retirement. I was happy to learn that there are still some politicians who want to do what is right. Not all "turncoats" are ethical weaklings *cough* scott brison *cough*.

As much as I'd love to see the Liberals kicked to the curb like last weeks garbage, this is a great move by Kilgour. It's just too bad our military is so horribly equipped, that even making these promises would fall short of where our country could be as far as peacekeeping goes.

David Kilgour is an unprincipled whore, and now we know his price. Of course he will get a Senate seat or ambassadorship, that's the part of the deal even the Liberals would be ashamed to admit to just now.

At least he was cheaper than the $250 million of taxpayers money for each NDP vote.

It is unlikely the Cons can force an election. At best, they can tie now, and the Speaker will vote with the Liberals.

David Kilgour is an unprincipled whore, and now we know his price.  Of course he will get a Senate seat or ambassadorship, that's the part of the deal even the Liberals would be ashamed to admit to just now.

At least he was cheaper than the $250 million of taxpayers money for each NDP vote.

It is unlikely the Cons can force an election.  At best, they can tie now, and the Speaker will vote with the Liberals.

I hope not. I'd like to think he did something for the benefit of humanity. I'm jaded enough as it is.

No one wants to see the 'Librano's' die as much as I do, but I think waiting an extra week or two for them to fall is worth getting the government to act in Sudan.

Well, I'll go against the current on this one.

While I'm all for trying to help Dafur, this isn't the way.

In regards to money, that alone isn't going to solve the problem, That leaves military intervention.

Martin had to be dealt into this position by Kilgour, which means Martin probably isn't too fussy about sending Canadian Forces into the region. Add to that, the international community as a whole doesn't seem to be rushing into the region.

Do you know what we get when the international community doesn't put it's heart and head into something like this?

We get another Rwanda.

I am unsure what you mean by "another rawanda". Another Rawanda is already going on. More "Rawandas" are very possible in the surrounding regions. We should just not send any help because we can't send crack troops? Any troops would be helpful.

And for all you who speak of Canada not pulling its weight internationally, this would be a great way to start. Make no mistake, we have contacts, and pull all over the globe. Its a matter of pressuring OUR elected government to do these things.

I am unsure what you mean by "another rawanda".

I meant the understaffed, underfunded, misunderstood, ignored and ultimately failed attempt to solve their problems through a peacekeeping force.

In other words, the fact that Martin had to be cajoled into maybe sending some troops to Dafur by Kilgour, could indicate that he is unable or unwilling to support the effort like it needs to be supported. If that happens, the same thing could happen their that happened in Rwanda in 1994.

We should just not send any help because we can't send crack troops? Any troops would be helpful.

Again, Rwanda 0f 1994 proved this incorrect, if the will and support isn't there.

Hopefully we learned a thing or two from what happened in Rwanda, and will be able to do more for the people of Sudan. My brother in law was in Zaire (I think it was Zaire, don't trip me up on my geography!) as an aid worker in a refugee camp full of those coming from Rwanda, and he won't talk about it except in very general terms. He will say, though, that he never knew people could act that way towards other people. I think we have a responsibility to go to Sudan as peacekeepers; this is Canada's role on the international stage, and it is what most Canadians value.

Sudan needs help, and Kilgour is a politician - he is trading his support of the Liberals for their support of his issue. That's politics.