Naked teens on web

Letter to the editor, Edmonton Sun March 31/05

RE: "NAKED teens on web a 'disturbing trend'," March 23. I am a 16-year-old girl and, call me deluded or deviant, I fail to see what is so disturbing about a girl being comfortable enough with her body image and sexuality to place a picture on a website or send one to a friend. A girl in a bathing suit, a bra and panties or even nude is not "sexually explicit," though some may consider it provocative. If I am allowed to have sex at 14 then why can't I view sex at 14 or take sexual pictures at 14?

Adelle Shea

Thoughts? Opinions? Obscenities?

When Adelle tries to become a judge, doctor, politician, or TV reporter, she's going to feel pretty stupid when those pictures of her bouncing around in front of her webcam turn up.

-kimmy

You wouldn't be "allowed" to have sex at 14 if you were my daughter. You can be comfortable with your body covered up. Go read your school books and grow up.

With this girls attitude; sh won't be a doctor, lawyer, or any other trained occupation. She is more likely to end up an unwed mother on welfare or working at McDonalds.

Letter to the editor, Edmonton Sun March 31/05
RE: "NAKED teens on web a 'disturbing trend'," March 23. I am a 16-year-old girl and, call me deluded or deviant, I fail to see what is so disturbing about a girl being comfortable enough with her body image and sexuality to place a picture on a website or send one to a friend. A girl in a bathing suit, a bra and panties or even nude is not "sexually explicit," though some may consider it provocative. If I am allowed to have sex at 14 then why can't I view sex at 14 or take sexual pictures at 14?

Adelle Shea

Thoughts? Opinions? Obscenities?

She's got a point. And we are way too obsessed with nudity. So what if there are naked teenagers on the internet. There are naked teenagers all over the beaches in Europe, and somehow, their society hasn't collapsed.

When Adelle tries to become a judge, doctor, politician, or TV reporter, she's going to feel pretty stupid when those pictures of her bouncing around in front of her webcam turn up.

-kimmy

Except that if she's 14 they won't turn up because they'd be illegal for anyone to possess anyway.

It's a complicated subject.

If we allowed our childeren to be more involved in our communities (rather than droning away in classrooms), they would be much more mature about everything, including their sexuality and sexual choices. The intellegent young woman in the article raises a great point, however with religion still deeply woven into our culture, sexuality is likely always to be considered something for the closet.

The intellegent young woman in the article raises a great point, however with religion still deeply woven into our culture, sexuality is likely always to be considered something for the closet.

Intelligent young women????? Just a young child in too much hurry to grow up and explore her neew still developing toys.

With this girls attitude; sh won't be a doctor, lawyer, or any other trained occupation. She is more likely to end up an unwed mother on welfare or working at McDonalds.

why is that, and how will her attitude prevent her from doing so?

I mean yes her behavoir and views may be seen as deviant but the fact that she can read a newspaper let alone reads the newspaper and then rights a response to it, indicates she is already a leg up on any other kid in her age group (14-22?).

Besides that I thought that kind of behavoir was a pre-requisite for politics? just type in Arnold Schwarzenegger nude, in google and with out much effort you will be able to find many such shots. FDR widely considered the #1 U.S President had a long standing affair, with atleast one women. The Kennedy family, probabley the most presitgous family in the U.S did alright with Sexual partners...to say the least. It is fairly well accepted amongst historians that Thomas Jefferson slept with his slaves, infact I think there has been ample evidence suggesting that Jefferson fathered a child with one of his slaves. Then we come down to good old Bill Clinton...I can't quite remember but I think he may have had a problem of the sexaul sort a while back? So do these standards only apply to Females, besides that the girl never actually stated she had done so herself. Oh and BTW, Adolf Hitler was a sexually Moral Politician, and if that is the trade off we need more politicians with loose sexual morals :P

I mean yes her behavoir and views may be seen as deviant but the fact that she can read a newspaper let alone reads the newspaper and then rights a response to it, indicates she is already a leg up on any other kid in her age group (14-22?).

You sure must know children with little intellect. My granddaughter is 12 years old and can read at a college level. My granddaughter was invited to meet the governor general after the Kelowna fires as she set up and organized a school bake sale to make money to go to rebuilding the trestles. She was 9 years old. Kids need to get credit when they do good; not for trying to flaunt their bodies.

The intellegent young woman in the article raises a great point, however with religion still deeply woven into our culture, sexuality is likely always to be considered something for the closet.

Intelligent young women????? Just a young child in too much hurry to grow up and explore her neew still developing toys.

Too much of a hurry eh?

She's either growing up or she isn't. If she can realize the hipocracy in the idea that she can't make her own decisions, she's grown up enough to make them.

I agree. I believe we should all be careful to debate each others arguments rather then taking shots at each other. I realise that to a certain extent members will end up making digs at each other but the question "What are you; someone who like to look at naked young girls?" could be taken as an insinuation of paedophilia.

Placed in context I don't think WageSlaves comments could possibly be interpreted in this light.

On what foundation do you base this statement????

What connection do you draw between sexual enlightenment and higher education???

Judging from the text of the original letter, the girl already possesses better grammatical skills than a lot of "adults" who frequent this website. She seems to take her aducation seriously, at least in regards to her english skills.

All young people are like that. That doesn't make them stupid, just lacking judgement and wisdom (which is acquired through time).

Yeah, that'll work. 

It did.

You think so, do you?

It's odd how many parents think their little darlings are complete innocents. Meanwhile the CBC is showing us documentaries where 13 year olds talk about disliking having to give oral sex all the time.

Adolf Hitler was a sexually Moral Politician, and if that is the trade off we need more politicians with loose sexual morals
So is Bush hmmmm; you may have a point. But we need not encourage our children to behave in a demeaning way.

The girl claimed to be 16.

Bush only claims to be sexually moral. There are far too many stories about him being a whoremongering alcoholic in his youth to ignore. And I don't think they even argue against them. They best they can do is deny his coke sniffing because there's no proof.

With this girls attitude; sh won't be a doctor, lawyer, or any other trained occupation.  She is more likely to end up an unwed mother on welfare or working at McDonalds.

On what foundation do you base this statement????

What connection do you draw between sexual enlightenment and higher education???

I used to look forward to Playboy's college girl issues back in the day. :rolleyes: The idea that higher education conflicts with the desire to enjoy and explore one's sexuality is quite - novel - to me. I guess those who think that have never been to a university or college campus.

she is still in the process. What are you; someone who like to look at naked young girls?

It depends how young. :P

Seriously though, women in many arab countries are not allowed to make decisions about whom they are marrying. They come to the west, marry who they please, and no the sky doesn't fall.

Many women talk of being degraded, when naked. It is the christian values still entrenched in our culture that makes them feel this way. In the Amazon little girls run around completely naked all the time, and no, the sky doesn't fall.

I could see some concern with the young woman's views if they were influenced by some 60 year old purve who just wants them in the sack. If these are truely her ideas then what is the big deal?

Whatever it is, the sky will not fall.

could see some concern with the young woman's views if they were influenced by some 60 year old purve who just wants them in the sack. If these are truely her ideas then what is the big deal?

What's the difference between a 25 year old and a 60 year old pervert.

Seriously though, women in many arab countries are not allowed to make decisions about whom they are marrying. They come to the west, marry who they please, and no the sky doesn't fall.

And sometimes they die at their families hands but that has little to do with this issue. Neither do people who run around in the Amazon with no clothes. Different cultures

The girl in question wants to flaunt her body on the internet. Do you know how stupid and dangerous that is.