Canada - home of fraud and corruption

Some time ago it came to my attention through the media that the RCMP were so understaffed they had basically stopped even investigating fraud in BC. It didn't pay because the courts required a mountain of evidence and then would, at best, issue a slap on the wrist.

Lately, I've noticed more and more stories about how fraud artists set up their sleazy telemarketing ventures in Canada in order to defraud elderly Americans with relative impunity.

On Friday we saw a report from an American industrial group citing Canada as one of the world's greatest homes of counterfeit goods. They estimate 20% of the goods sold in Canada now are counterfeit, either made here or imported. The counterfeit goods look like the real thing, but are often crap underneath the gloss. There is virtually no enforcement. The group says they get more cooperation from the Communist Chinese authorities than they do in Canada.

On the weekend there was an item on W5 about mortage fraud, which is growing by leaps and bounds in Canada. In the US, there are congressional hearings on new laws, there is already a law requiring all financial institutions to report any suspected mortage fraud to police, and there are meetings and information sessions between police and banks.

In Canada the banks refuse to cooperate, and the courts rarely impose anything more than a slap on the wrist. You can rob a corner store of fifty bucks and spend a year in jail, but if you steail a half million by impersonating someone - well, as the RCMP guy admitted, no one has ever gone to jail for it. The judges smile and chuckle and hand out minor fines. The banks, meanwhile, don't care because, get this, their losses are covered by government mortage insurance schemes. When they get defrauded the money comes from YOU, the taxpayer, through places like CMHC (Central Mortage and Housing Corporation). CMHC has refused to say how much they have doled out to the banks to reimburse them for fraud, btw. They also succesfully fought an Access to Information request for that information.

Again, with no cooperation from the banks, no interest from the government, and very liberal courts which refuse to punish offenders, the crime is growing year by year. And the police do little or nothing because they're underfunded and they know the courts won't do anything.

And who pays? We all do. It comes from buying what you thought was a Sony and having it fall apart two months later. It comes from higher taxes. It comes from higher bank fees. It comes from having to pay extra to lawyers for title insurance and background searches when you buy a house. It comes from having your life wrecked by someone impersonating you and running up a huge debt. It comes from a society where fraud is tolerated. Fraud begats corruption and the whole society becomes dirtier, more accepting of crime and dishonesty.

It is largely the responsibility of the federal government, of course. They make the laws. They appoint the judges. They fund the RCMP and Customs. And why don't they care? Well, given the Liberals are thoroughly corrupt, I can see why they would not be motivated to do anything about crime. It doesn't, after all, impact their popularity much, nor can they get votes by cracking down on fraud.

Besides, too many of those involved probably belong to the Liberal Party.

• 2 weeks later...

Why blame the government; if the banks won't cooperate do you not think they deserve most of the blame. Just like with the government; we all need to use banks and pay their exhorbitant bank charges to pay for this fraud.

Why should we expect our government to spend our money attempting to prosecute these pwoples without the cooperation of the "victim" banks???

And who pays? We all do. It comes from buying what you thought was a Sony and having it fall apart two months later.

Take it back where you bought it for a full refund if it is a fraudulent product or does not live up to its warranties. Don't buy goods from questionable sources.

I never buy from those character that go around to businesses trying to sell goods. The owner of a store next door called me in to ask if $200 for a Louis Vuitton bag was a good price. I said you would get 2 to 5 for it. 2 to 5 years in jail; because at that price it was either stolen or a fake. Never did see that character come back.

My friend next door knew I would be harsh as the Louis Vuitton store and staff were my customers and friends

Why blame the government; if the banks won't cooperate do you not think they deserve most of the blame. Just like with the government; we all need to use banks and pay their exhorbitant bank charges to pay for this fraud.

Why should we expect our government to spend our money attempting to prosecute these pwoples without the cooperation of the "victim" banks???

The banks aren't victims because they usually get reimbursed, no questions asked by the government - ie, by us. And also because the government framework within which they operate allows them to recover everything through higher service charges. Where is the incentive for them to cooperate?

The banks aren't victims because they usually get reimbursed, no questions asked by the government

Where did you get that idea? The government doesn't guarantee most loans. It is a tax write off. However, they do make a fortune with credit cards. Look at the interest they charge compared to interest they pay on investments. We do pay; but as consumers not taxpayers. The same thing happens with stores with consumers picking up that tab for shoplifters and other fraudulent returns etc. The court systems are too slow and time consuming to use; easier to just pass on this type of losses to the consumer. Aggravating.

The banks aren't victims because they usually get reimbursed, no questions asked by the government

Where did you get that idea? The government doesn't guarantee most loans. It is a tax write off. However, they do make a fortune with credit cards.

Anyone who owns a home ought to be concerned about the lack of enforcement against mortgage fraud in this country. Believe it or not even in cases where fraud is proven, and the person who took out a phoney mortgage on your house is convicted, you are usually held to be responsible for paying off the mortgage.

W5 - Mortgage Fraud

RE::Besides, too many of those involved probably belong to the Liberal Party.

I've only been here 2 minutes but I've noticed something you have in common with most right wingers you blame the Liberals for everything.

Your party just had a policy convention for god sakes why aren't you ranting about some of your new policies?

Or do you have to go in for re-programming in order for you to do that? :blink:

RE::Besides, too many of those involved probably belong to the Liberal Party.

I've only been here 2 minutes but I've noticed something you have in common with most right wingers you blame the Liberals for everything.

Your party just had a policy convention for god sakes why aren't you ranting about some of your new policies?

Or do you have to go in for re-programming in order for you to do that? :blink:

You don't know what my party is. And you don't know what I've already said about the Tory policy convention.

Maybe you should lurk a bit before making silly comments.

RE::They also succesfully fought an Access to Information request for that information.

Do you know which party passed the Access to Information Act?

I know what party is rabidly secretive about everything that they do.

Speaking of Access to Information Act . It reminds me of an other story .

A few years back A woman came to my house (she was the Mayor of the Town of Lockport) She unrolled a navagation Chart on my Table that showed the whole east coast of Canada Devided up and given to oil companies .She said she had gotten this Chart through the Access to Information Act from a goverment office . The chart had the whole east Coast devided up in leases to Oil Companies with wells every where in prime Fishing grounds . It had a pipe line Connecting them all and the pipe line went dirrect to New York City .

She was Claiming that our Goverment was actually distroying our fish stocks like Cod on purpose so that they could make room for a major oil Industry in return .Said she could prove this (she was looking for support from us local fishermen to make this all public). She said some high Ranking Fisheries Beuracrates had no Experience what so ever in Fisheries Management and she even claimed one high ranking fellow had a back ground in oil developement .

Shortly after this this woman Died of Breast Cancer .

Me and the other fishermen never took this woman serious ,as it all Seemed way to far fetched to beleave ,We just thought she must be a lunitic to make such Stagering claims .

About 2 years went by and i just forgot the whole thing untill I was Invited to a minister of Fisheries meeting (provencial one ). At that meeting A chart was unrolled on the table ,IT WAS THE SAME CHART . Only thing different was there was No pipe line to New york City ,it went over land through nova scotia instead . So this woman did get this Chart through the access to information act .

I still don't beleave totally that such horific claims could have any truth to them . But it does make me wonder when Every time i See a Monatorium put on fishing an Area OIL and Natural Gas wells Spring up behind them.

This womans Arguement was , She had Studied it and found the Fishery would make about 5-10 times as many jobs as an oil industry . The oil Industry would just put more Wealth in a few Hands .

I do beleave the goverment later found no where as much oil as originally expected in their plotting .(if this was true) . And i Beleave (if this is true) they beleaved the fishery could be replaced with aquaculture . And the Aquaculture turned out to be a failure like they never expected . (70% of all farm raised Salmon are disaeased when sold for consumption) Wild stocks like pollack are being wiped out by diseases spreading) People are getting sick from eating these farm raised fish . They tried to set up Cod farms here that keep failing ,a Halibut farm failed . Feed cost are riseing to a point profits can't be made .

Maybe we better start useing that access to information act to see what Really has been happening behind the Scenes in this crooked governed Country!

I just want to make one more Point .

Georges Bank Is about the only Healthy Fishing grounds left on the east Coast . But as you know Oil companies have been trying to drill there for years .

Next year the haddock Quota on Gearges bank will be raised to 10 times its normal amount . Most fishermen i Talk too don't beleave the fish are there ,Not at 10 times the normal amount . If they was there the haddock market will never support this amount of haddock being landed ,prices will crash so that a boat load will be needed to even attempt to pay expences . Alot of fishermen beleave we are being forced to cut our own Throats ,and that Georges bank will be wiped out in 2-3 years .

With this ITQ fishery fishing rights have been put in the hands of just 5-10 companies . One company now owns 67% of all georges bank scallop quota . with it in just a few hands it will be very easy to buy out any fishermen that are left useing an area .

Just how Corrupt is our Goverment ? Corrupt enough to bring Famine?

The only federal assistace Coming east is for Natives , Seems you don't want nothing in return .

Oh you mean UI ? I think the whole east coast would give up all rights to UI if Ottawa's asshole Beuracrates was only aloud to Govern Ontario and Quebec . Im sure we could Manage if You kept your fools to yourself.

I think there is like 1 billion spent in fisheries management and probly only about 10 dollars put to good use .

You don't know what my party is. And you don't know what I've already said about the Tory policy convention.

That is quite obvious my friend!!!! :angry:

1: I am not your friend.

2: You don't know what I have said about the Conservatives and are making yourself look silly.